autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Paint Decontamination

CarPro Iron X - 16.9 oz is $19.99
    SONAX Fallout Cleaner - 16.9 oz is $16.99 (on sale currently on AG)
    Optimum FerreX - 17 oz is $19.99

Between these three which in your opinion is more effective? Im leaning towards FerreX just due to the fact that i understand it can be used on wheels and won't effect anything on the rotors or brake pads unlike Iron X.

Ive never seen anyone talk about the Fallout Cleaner.

I have 2 50ml samples of Iron X (which is $6.99 for a sample) that i got for free from an AG order. I think $6.99 is pretty high for a sample lol.

Anyways, to sum it up i haven't used any of these yet but have samples of Iron X. Which one is better out of the three?

2. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Decontamination

Anyone? I'm interested also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWrap View Post

Between these three which in your opinion is more effective? Im leaning towards FerreX just due to the fact that i understand it can be used on wheels and won't effect anything on the rotors or brake pads unlike Iron X.

I have 2 50ml samples of Iron X (which is $6.99 for a sample) that i got for free from an AG order. I think $6.99 is pretty high for a sample lol.

Anyways, to sum it up i haven't used any of these yet but have samples of Iron X. Which one is better out of the three?
    In that they are all formulated to skin the cat in the same way, I'd look at price per application and go from there.

I'd also like to add that the biggest problem I have with these products is that to spray a whole car down really uses the product. Seems expensive per use and I would only go for it I think if it was for coating prep or a personal vehicle. Claying properly just does a good job already. I'm on the fence about all these sort of products to be used professionally tbh.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWrap View Post

Are these pre wax cleaners that your talking about?

Post Thanks / Like

I've IronX on my wheels. Although if I want to do an iron decon on my wheels I just use Meguiar's DUB cleaner.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Iron X and Sonax. IMHO they both work the same...

Post Thanks / Like

The MSDS available would indicate that IX is stronger than Sonax. However, these are not up to date and it is impossible to be sure.

With regards to the harm on wheels - don't let this be a decider. Each of these products uses the same chemistry, if one does damage, they all will. Beside that, wheels are generally much more resilient than paint. The reason IX warns against it is because there were a limited few problems with some un protected metal and they are covering their backs. I would be fairly confident that the other products would have the same risk, albeit no one has looked closely enough (or realised the reason) to notice it.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with Pipuk.
    I had use both sonax and ironx
    Sonax scent is stronger and work slower compare to ironx but the bright yellow color looks cool.
    Both are great products

Post Thanks / Like

Used ironx on coated wheels with no issues other than that smell.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd focus on price as well as your level of patience for this step. I have used IronX and Dodo Ferrous. In my opinion they all do the same thing, and pretty good too!

IronX works the fastest but dries very quickly too. So not only does it do a great job, you need to work fast as well. I don't have a garage so I'm always doing this step outside. If you let it dry it will do a great job of staining your paint. Direct sunlight forces one to work faster and in smaller sections. If you are patient enough the other will also do the same job and at less risk.

In terms of using the least amount of product possible while mitigating risk, I apply this product on a partially wet panel. I spray for coverage only and after 30-45 secs I use a clean MF sponge to spread the product. After 2 panels I have enough product on the sponge that I can spray less on the panel. I use a small bucket of water to wash in between rinses. How do I know there is enough product in the sponge? Why... the scent of course. :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast