autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Chemical Guys Jet Seal Matte

Hey guys,

Let me start off by saying Toy Motorsports is a distributer of chemical guys products. I believe we are the only ones in the area. So needless to say we were quite excited to hear about the release of jet seal matte. It's a unique product and we have a fair amount of customers with matte vehicles.

So we placed a huge order that included all of chemical guys matte products. Matte detailer and wash were an instant hit with our first uses. We attended a Hot Import Nights event in the area and had brought 2 matte vehicles. My first thought when prepping the cars was awesome we get to try the sealant on these cars. So we followed the instructions on both the bottle and video. (BTW both vehicles were vinyl wrapped with matte vinyl)

So I applied a fair amount of product to my applicator and applied it on the hood of the GT 500 we were bringing. Instantly it dried but I figured I'd wait the 20 minutes like the bottle said. 20 minutes passed and it wasn't coming off. It left the hood completely streaked. So I used some matte detailer and it got most of it off but you could still see some streaks.

So it was hot and humid that day so I figured this must be a factor. So on another spot on the hood I again applied a fair amount to my applicator and applied the sealant. Again it dried instantly but this time I waited 10 minutes just to have the same thing happen again.

Slightly confused because on the video the head detailer wipes this stuff off effortlessly in the sun. We called chemical guys to get some answers but all we got was basically someone reading the back of the bottle to us over the phone as if we are a bunch of window licking mouth breathers.

So I'm turning to you guys for answers. Who has used this stuff? And what were the results you got from it? Did you have the same issues applying it to vinyl wrapped cars? I used it on a matte painted car and it worked as it should I'm wondering if it's the type of vinyl that were on the cars? Let me know what you guys think that have used the product.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chemical Guys Jet Seal Matte

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@ToyMotorsports View Post
    Let me start off by saying Toy Motorsports is a distributer of chemical guys products.

We called chemical guys to get some answers but all we got was basically someone reading the back of the bottle to us over the phone as if we are a bunch of window licking mouth breathers.

So I'm turning to you guys for answers.
    Huh? You are a distributor but you can't get the manufacturer to help you? I would hope you have a little more juice for getting tech support than us laymen.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I gather from the front end supervisor that was basically they read the bottle word for word like it was programmed in their head. I may just have to give them a call myself but the supervisor said to me that they were going to call back with answers and I never heard of the issue again and it's been a few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Well then hopefully Nick or someone else on the Autogeek staff will be able to help you. Maybe it's just my imagination, but Nick doesn't seem to post here near as much as he used to before he got married

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never personally used this product (we don't carry it - yet), but I'll try my best to lend a helping hand.

I would try applying LESS product (with some products less is actually more) and experimenting with different drying times - ie: 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc.

Whenever you're using a product that's new to you (especially on someone else's vehicle), it's best to perform a test spot before jumping the gun and applying the product to the entire hood, etc. This way you get a feel for the product.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks nick!

I just brought the issue back up with my supervisor. He said they got back to him but it was still no help. They suggested actually applying more to the same spots or applying it in a Air conditioned environment. I did take the streaks out but I had to do so with IPA leaving the vinyl bare once again.

We have some vinyl laying around I may just apply it to a block of wood or something to experiment. I'll keep everyone updated and if you guys get the product before I update please share your results.

Post Thanks / Like
    This may be a stupid question but does it make a difference that it is vinyl? Was the product made for matte paint? I'm not sure if that makes a difference. But I use the sealant and spray on the scoop on my dad's hood with no issues. It is painted flat black.

Post Thanks / Like

It was made for both matte vinyl and paint or at least that's how it is being marketed. I used it on matte paint and have had no issue with it. I've only had issues with using it on matte vinyl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trutech74 View Post
    This may be a stupid question but does it make a difference that it is vinyl? Was the product made for matte paint? I'm not sure if that makes a difference. But I use the sealant and spray on the scoop on my dad's hood with no issues. It is painted flat black.
    That was my thought. They're two quite different materials...

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but have to say, that is less than acceptable customer support nevermind DISTRIBUTOR support. I can imagine your excitement with such a product offering too especially with an opportunity to show it off and market it.

Good luck Andrew with figuring this stuff out. Just wish i could help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast