autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, few purchases I've regretted in there.

Is fog fight the original or the new version? If it's the old version that everyone complained about I'd say it's only fair to put that.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: RECAP Most Regretted Detailing Product Purchases

LC cutting pads - Any users care to list their problems with these? I'm looking for users who used them with plenty slurry and water - I've seen the results from improper use and lack of follow-up polishing to completion. --Thanks

I have some on order, with cerium oxide, and have an old retired Rabbit GTI autocrosser to practice on before using them on our cars. I've read Mike's article on how to use these, along with the follow-up products to finish the windshield - I'll post pics when I get this done.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    LC cutting pads - Any users care to list their problems with these? I'm looking for users who used them with plenty slurry and water - I've seen the results from improper use and lack of follow-up polishing to completion. --Thanks

I have some on order, with cerium oxide, and have an old retired Rabbit GTI autocrosser to practice on before using them on our cars. I've read Mike's article on how to use these, along with the follow-up products to finish the windshield - I'll post pics when I get this done.

I had good results using CeriGlass with the 5" Carpro Rayon pads.

The complaint on the LC Glass pads is generally that they induce marring.

Another Round of Polishing Glass

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post

The LC glass pads turned my mildly-wiper-area scratched-glass into jacked-up-all-around-scratched glass. I used them with Cerri Glass and a DA.

Luckily, a little after this happened, CarPro came out with their excellent glass pads that not only fixed the LC glass pads damage, but left the glass optically perfect in a single step using a DA (GG6).

I believe I was one of the first, if not the first to post about and review the CarPro Glass Pads correcting via DA when they came out - before AG stocked them - and the stunning and amazing results I got with them. At the time I believe it was common wisdom you could not correct glass with a DA. Believe me - nobody was more surprised than me. I was expecting the same marring that was left by the LC pads. Well, I'm here to tell you that you can correct glass with a GG6, Cerri Glass, and CarPro's rayon glass pads.

Now you can say my LC glass pad experience is "improper use" or "lack of follow up" - that's fine. All I know is LC doesn't make any glass pads that I'm aware of to "follow up" with after their known glass pads leave marring. And - if you think a foam pad is going to remove marring from glass, you obviously haven't polished glass. They also don't make a glass polish that I'm aware of.

My technique was the same with both LC and CarPro pads. Except, the LC pads start to fall apart after being wet a little while. The pad fibers come off he face of the pad. With the CarPro pads, I bought 3 big ones (5") and 3 little ones (3"). To this day I've corrected several pieces of glass and still am using my first big CarPro pad - the others have remained unused because the initial pad is still going strong.

This is just all my experience. When something works poorly for me after spending the cash to buy it and the time to use it - I'm inclined to share those results. On the same token, when something exceeds my expectations and produces flawless results, like the CarPro stuff - I'm just as vocal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I add any car polish by autoglym as it leaves white powder residue everywhere and it's a nightmare to clean off

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with some of these while there are some products on the list I have no issue with. Are they my favorites? No. But that isn't to say they don't do the job to satisfaction. I also believe some of these products have a potential to be improperly used, thus a poor opinion.

My biggest regret is the ValuGard ETR kit. Due to its price and being available only through the company it isn't commonly known so not likely to show up in a lot of reviews.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have "Regretted Purchases", please continue to post them in the original thread for purposes of continuity.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-purchase.html

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Swanicyouth and AllenK -
    Thank you very much for your experiences and suggestions. I might have to get some of the rayon pads, or some others that are similar I found at a glass restoring site -
    but for now, I've ordered the 3" LC glass cutting pads, the 3" Griot's Garage glass polishing pads, Diamondite Glasswork Restorer (+/= reviews, but all I could find - the preferred is out of stock everywhere) and a pound of Gordon's Cerium Oxide (1/2 fine, 1/2 medium) that I'll mix myself from the glass restoring site. I'll do this with my DA polisher.

I'll see how it goes on our highly pitted retired windshield before I work on my windshield. Both our Miatas have tiny pits and wiper scratches. They look "good" until you try to see through them when the sun is glaring in your eyes as you crest a hill (!!). If I destroy it, and I hope I don't, then a new windshield will be a good thing from a safety point of view when running twisty roads. I'll be patient and persistent, keep it slow with lots of slurry and cooled with running water, and the practice car is completely in the shade.
    I'll take pics and let you know - it'll be a week before the cerium oxide arrives.
    Thanks again -
    Cricket

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the time to tally everything in one easy to read post.

I agree. I am quite shocked to see some of these products tallied up on this list that gathered so many negative complaints. In my experience with Fuzion, it has been such a pleasure to use.

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Interestingly, many of the negative reviews were immediately followed by Forum Members chiming in and giving a positive review of the same product. Most notably...Wolfgang Fuzion and Sonax FE.
    Quote Originally Posted by valleyrider View Post
    I'm surprised to see a few of those things so high up on the list, products I like and others I've heard many good things about got quite a few regretted purchase votes.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

#3 on the list, CarPro Fog Fight has been reformulated:

Apparently CarPro Fog Fight has been reformulated:

[email]corey@carpro-us.com[/email] (corey@carpro-us.com)
    Add to contacts
    9:34 AM
    To: Kyle Allen

Picture of corey@carpro-us.com

Yes, it has been reformulated. CarPro told me its easier to apply streak free now. I have not had a chance to use the re-formulated version

Best Regards,

Corey Carruth
    CarPro-US
    Store: CarPro USA
    e. Corey@CarPro-US.com
    p. 386-259-0759
    SKY'S THE LIMIT CAR CARE, LLC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast