autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick review Meg D151 vs HD Speed

Quote Originally Posted by Dellinger View Post
    Calendyr,

Interesting feedback regarding your experiences with 151/ Speed.

I have had the exact opposite findings.

With D151...
    I had tremendous dusting on a 2004 GMC Yukon, beige metallic. Barely got 3 section passes with heavy pressure, fast arm speed and small sections (18"x18".) Was using a traditional D/A (PC style) speed set to 6, 5.5" B&S orange pad, non-primed. It could have been the paint (severely neglected with the owner admitting that he had never waxed the vehicle in his 6+ years of ownership) sucking in the liquid. I had to use 2 pads per panel because the pad was just saturated from 151. I couldn't dial it in and have yet to work with it since. (Open to any feedback on this from you since you had a great work time with the liquid.) The results were great... it just looked like it snowed on every part of the vehicle. Knocked out some Type 1 water spots, some med. swirls, and probably filled some of that too. Didn't really do an IPA wipe because... the dude was selling it anyway.

With Speed...
    I worked it on a black, Ford F150. Traditional D/A, 5.5" green, B&S pad, medium pressure, medium arm speed on speed 5. I made 7 section passes on each section... could have worked it a little bit longer. No dusting and I didn't prime the pad. I started with 6 small, pea sized drops, next section was 4 small, pea sized drops... 3 small pea sized drops every section after. Changed pads every panel. Cut was ok... not the same as 151 (for me, BUT the pad wasn't the same so I couldn't expect it to be anyway.) I have since tried Speed with an orange B&S pad and it doesn't seem to cut like 151 does.

For what it's worth...
    -Dellinger
    Because you compared the two products on different vehicle surfaces, this was not a good test. Especially, since you mention that the D151 vehicle had thirsty paint, you used different pads, different arm speed & different downward pressure

Combined with errors in technique, I am not surprised at your results with D151:

if you are using so much product that the pad is saturated after half a panel...you are using way too much product, which leads to dusting

Fast arm speed with a DA is poor technique and will to dusting

Not priming the pad, bad. Although foam pads can "self-prime" after a couple of sections. Priming is recommended to maximize the amount of cut, consistency of cut and minimize marring from dry buffing

If you were not priming the pad, how in the world was it "saturated" after half a panel?

Post Thanks / Like

Allen-

I was not performing a test, as you allude to, with the AIO's. Simply stating my experiences.

My stated technique above was obviously experimental regarding 151 since it was my first time using the product.

Since the time of my prior post, I maybe have a 1/2 gallon left of 151... I have tried every possible different technique to keep the product from dusting and it simply doesn't matter.

Agree on your fast arm speed comment... however, I was referring to a loose 1" per second... usually I move the machine drastically slower than that when using a dedicated polish. With an AIO I tend to speed it up to around 1" per second.

I cannot explain the pad saturation either regarding 151? It still does it to this day... and makes absolutely no sense. Currently, if I am using 151 (which is rare because HD Speed is simply a better product for me) I will prime the pad and add 3- 4 dime/ nickle sized drops depending on the paint condition... and after a 2- 4 sections... the pad is very damp.

Thanks for your thoughts though,
    -Gabe

Post Thanks / Like

I am waiting for my order of CarPro Essence. When climate allows it I will try to do a 3 way test between Essence, Speed and D151. I will take into consideration what was suggested regarding product amount and polisher speed. I am also thinking I might have a bad bottle of Speed too. The product is really thick almost like a paste, this might be why it was dusting so much. Can't wait to try Essence though, I have a feeling this will rate really high in my recommendations to customers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I am waiting for my order of CarPro Essence. When climate allows it I will try to do a 3 way test between Essence, Speed and D151. I will take into consideration what was suggested regarding product amount and polisher speed. I am also thinking I might have a bad bottle of Speed too. The product is really thick almost like a paste, this might be why it was dusting so much. Can't wait to try Essence though, I have a feeling this will rate really high in my recommendations to customers.
    I'll come watch live! Really interested to see Essence in action...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234