autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Priming the whole face of the pad is NOT recommended with HD Polishes. 5 pea sized drops initially on the outer edge, then 3 drops thereafter. Clean the pad frequently. Try it this way nod report back on the dust. Most high end professionals do not use above speed 4 on the Rupes 21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick review Meg D151 vs HD Speed

Ok I will try that.

Why would you slow down the polisher to speed 4 for defect removal?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post

Why would you slow down the polisher to speed 4 for defect removal?
    With the large throw, the Rupes doesn't need to be used at speed 6. Plus, it's easier on the machine and pad. Might finish better, too. If you get better results on speed 6, by all means, use it!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Calendyr,

Interesting feedback regarding your experiences with 151/ Speed.

I have had the exact opposite findings.

With D151...
    I had tremendous dusting on a 2004 GMC Yukon, beige metallic. Barely got 3 section passes with heavy pressure, fast arm speed and small sections (18"x18".) Was using a traditional D/A (PC style) speed set to 6, 5.5" B&S orange pad, non-primed. It could have been the paint (severely neglected with the owner admitting that he had never waxed the vehicle in his 6+ years of ownership) sucking in the liquid. I had to use 2 pads per panel because the pad was just saturated from 151. I couldn't dial it in and have yet to work with it since. (Open to any feedback on this from you since you had a great work time with the liquid.) The results were great... it just looked like it snowed on every part of the vehicle. Knocked out some Type 1 water spots, some med. swirls, and probably filled some of that too. Didn't really do an IPA wipe because... the dude was selling it anyway.

With Speed...
    I worked it on a black, Ford F150. Traditional D/A, 5.5" green, B&S pad, medium pressure, medium arm speed on speed 5. I made 7 section passes on each section... could have worked it a little bit longer. No dusting and I didn't prime the pad. I started with 6 small, pea sized drops, next section was 4 small, pea sized drops... 3 small pea sized drops every section after. Changed pads every panel. Cut was ok... not the same as 151 (for me, BUT the pad wasn't the same so I couldn't expect it to be anyway.) I have since tried Speed with an orange B&S pad and it doesn't seem to cut like 151 does.

For what it's worth...
    -Dellinger

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review Interesting how experiences can vary with the same products.

Quote Originally Posted by Dellinger View Post
    With D151...
    I had tremendous dusting on a 2004 GMC Yukon, beige metallic. Barely got 3 section passes with heavy pressure, fast arm speed and small sections (18"x18".) Was using a traditional D/A (PC style) speed set to 6, 5.5" B&S orange pad, non-primed. It could have been the paint (severely neglected with the owner admitting that he had never waxed the vehicle in his 6+ years of ownership) sucking in the liquid. I had to use 2 pads per panel because the pad was just saturated from 151. I couldn't dial it in and have yet to work with it since. (Open to any feedback on this from you since you had a great work time with the liquid.) The results were great... it just looked like it snowed on every part of the vehicle. Knocked out some Type 1 water spots, some med. swirls, and probably filled some of that too. Didn't really do an IPA wipe because... the dude was selling it anyway.
    I've used close to half a gallon of D151, and I believe I've only had any dusting on old worn out paint, so I think you are right in that the paint might have sucked up the liquid/lubricants. The dusting has probably also been partly old paint shaved off.

Normally D151 has been very smooth for me to work with, with very little or no dusting. I've used it quite a bit on rotary, and there the product does seem to almost disappear after 3 or 4 passes, leaving only a slight film to wipe off. Another observation I've done with D151 is that I find that I need to use more product on the pad than I do with a "normal" polish like e.g. M205, almost twice as much I'd say.

Post Thanks / Like

tbnielsen-

Excellent info. Yep, I was using a lot of 151 on the pad (4 nickle size drops... well, I tried it every way I could... a few drops, lotta drops, etc...) And, to boot, there was not ONE BIT of product left to wipe off... just dust. So, I finally figured out to slow the speed to 3 (after making sections passes with speed 6) and go back over the section spreading what was left on my pad. But, I digress.

Have you worked the product with a D/A before?
    On rotary... what RPM are you working it... and size of section?

Anyway, I'll keep trying 151... thanks for the tips!

-Dellinger

Post Thanks / Like

Even if HD Speed was slightly better, i'd still choose Meguiars D151 cause it's ridiculously inexpensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoususer View Post
    Even if HD Speed was slightly better, i'd still choose Meguiars D151 cause it's ridiculously inexpensive.
    This. Is. So. True.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Product price is important if the process is the same. If it was less performant then price would not matter because your time is Worth so much more than the product cost when you do a detail. Let's say it was to take you an extra hour to do the same job with a lesser product, the 3$ saved would mean nothing.

I am eager to try both products again next spring, winter is almost here in Montreal and it's way too cost for me to do any correction at this time of year.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    This. Is. So. True.
    I need to give you some SPEED to try next time I see you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast