autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

TUF SHINE - Helpful hints and FAQ's

TUF SHINE - Helpful hints and FAQ's

Greetings Professionals!

TUF SHINE is a unique product that requires special attention to prepping the tire and application of the Clearcoat.

We hope that these answers to FAQ’s might help to make your experience a success and give those that are contemplating purchasing a TUF SHINE Kit some preliminary answers to questions on cleaning and application of the product.

FAQ’S

Is the Clearcoat really permanent?
    Just as the clearcoat on a car is permanent, so is the TUF SHINE Clearcoat. When properly maintained, TUF SHINE Clearcoat should outlast the tire. Normal pressure or hand washing will not remove the coating. Avoid strong tire and wheel cleanersthat may dull the shine and can potentially remove some of the finish. Occasional touch-ups may be neccessary to maintain the desired sheen.

Is pre-cleaning necessary?
    Yes. All tires must be cleaned including new tires. New tires have a factory applied mold release agent on them, which must be removed first, but doesn’t require as much cleaning as used tires. Proper cleaning will remove oxidized rubber, road grime and silicone residues left behind from previous tire dressings. TUF SHINE Tire Cleaner has been specially formulated to remove silicone. Use for the initial cleaning only. After that, wash your tires with mild soap and water to maintain the finish. Read and follow directions on the Tire Cleaner bottle for best results.

IMPORTANT: Do not rinse the brush in a bucket of water since the dirty water will contaminate the brush with silicone, which will then be re-applied to the tire. Always rinse the tire brush with water from a hose.

What if the tire isn’t cleaned properly?
    TUF SHINE Clearcoat is water based, and will not to stick to oil, wax or silicone. Poorly cleaned tires will cause the Tire Clearcoat to flake and peel from areas where silicone is still present and the finish will appear brown.

How does it protect the tire?
    TUF SHINE Clearcoat seals in factory lubricants. Without TUF SHINE, these lubricants will evaporate or wash off and may cause the tire to oxidize and/or crack. Other products are designed to lubricate the rubber, but must be reapplied constantly to maintain protection. TUF SHINE Clearcoat is PERMANENT and blocks out UV rays and damaging ozone.

Will it attract dust and dirt?
    TUF SHINE Clearcoat is a dry, anti-static finish. Dust and dirt will settle on the tire, but will not cling to the tire. You can actually dust your tires or rinse them off with a garden hose. Dirt and mud will wash off more easily because the sidewall is sealed and protected.

Will it work on whitewalls and raised white letters?
    Yes. In fact, TUF SHINE Clearcoat will seal the white rubber and prevent dirt and road grime from penetrating. Whitewalls and raised letters will stay white longer than uncoated tires. Always seal the white areas first with TUF SHINE Clearcoat and let it cure for 10 minutes or more before coating the black portion of the tire. This way, if any black residue is wiped onto the whitewalls, a dampened rag will remove it before it has a chance to dry on the white sections.

Will it crack or turn brown.
    No. TUF SHINE Clearcoat has over 500% elasticity and will not crack. The finish was tested under extreme weather conditions by an independent lab with no change to the color. It stayed clear. Some test vehicles have gone for over a year in snow, rain, and summer heat without little if any damage to the finish.

How do I apply the Clearcoat?
    Dispense about a quarter size amount of liquid onto the applicator sponge and wipe onto the sidewall (Helpful hint: Lightly push the dispenser nozzle into the applicator sponge before squeezing the liquid onto the sponge.) This will allow the sponge to absorb the liquid so it doesn’t run off the sponge.
    Spread it evenly onto the tire and work into ribbing and around lettering. Don’t worry about the foam or white liquid as you initially apply the clearcoat, they will disappear and smooth out as the liquid dries. Draw out any runs. Follow instructions on the Clearcoat label for detailed instructions.

What if it gets on the wheel or paint?
    This is not a problem. Wipe off any residue with a damp rag before it dries. If it has cured, use Isopropyl alcohol on a rag or sponge and lightly wipe across the area to remove it.

Can you apply too many coats?
    TUF SHINE Clearcoat is a super thin coating and can be applied often. Generally, the tires will not need any touch-up for 2 to 4 months or longer, except for scuffmarks. It won’t be necessary to apply as many coats to maintain the shine as would be needed with other tire dressings. Twenty or more coats over the life of the tire would be unusual.

How do I care for the Clearcoat?
    Once the TUF SHINE Clearcoat has been applied to the tire, strong/harsh cleaners are no longer necessary. Wash the tires with the same solution you use to wash the vehicle. A mild soapy solution or car wash soap and a soft car wash brush or mitt is all it takes. Always rinse the tire thoroughly after cleaning. Do not use harsh tire cleaners, they will dull the finish.

Can I touch up scuffmarks?
    Yes. A little denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner on a damp, lint free towel wiped over the scuff will remove the clearcoat and smooth out the rubber. You can even use fine sandpaper to repair the scuff. Apply TUF SHINE Clearcoat to the area that needs repair. Build up the finish to match the rest of the tire by dabbing it on the scuffed areas only. Allow each coat to dry before applying additional coats. Usually 2 or 3 coats should do the trick. Blend in the repaired area by applying a final coat to the entire tire.

Will Lacquer Thinner or Denatured Alcohol harm the tire?
    Our experience shows it will not because they evaporate quickly. It may remove a little of the rubber, but no more than what oxidation from ozone or sun damage does. Once the Clearcoat is applied, it seals the rubber and traps the lubricants under the finish to continually protect the tire. We have done this often and no visible damage to the sidewall.

How do I remove the finish
    It is not easy, but a few cleanings with TUF SHINE Tire Cleaner and a stiff bristle brush will remove most of the product. It will require a little time and elbow grease to accomplish this. This just shows how tough the finish is.

Can I later apply the clearcoat over the existing TUF SHINE finish?
    Yes. Just make sure you clean the tire before re-applying.

Can I apply other dressings over the TUF SHINE finish?
    Yes, other products, especially petroleum based dressings, may dissolve the Clearcoat over time.

Can I re-use the applicator sponge?
    Yes. Thoroughly rinse it out with water from a hose or under a faucet after each use and allow it to dry before re-use.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TUF SHINE - Helpful hints and FAQ's

Good stuff, thanks for the information. Should definitely come in handy
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info! That answered alot of questions I have. I don't know how I missed this thread the other day.

Post Thanks / Like

Very well explained, thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got some on the way, can't wait to try it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Mike Phillips

You know, my buddy Bob who owns this old 2-door Chevy has a beautiful house way out in the country away from traffic and the hustle and bustle of city life. I've been to his house and checked out his car collection and it's nice.

The problem is Bob's house is so far out in the country that the paved road ends before you get to his house so for about a mile or so he has to drive down a dusty, dirt road.

The first time I met Bob he told me the one thing he had a problem with was dust clinging to the tires in his hotrod collection. Here's his car and some close-up shots of one of the rear tires and you can see he's using some type of high shine, "wet" looking tire dressing.

Nothing wrong with the "wet look" for tire dressings as some people really like that type of look on their tires. Heck Bob might even like it!

But I think Bob is going to like the dry-to-the-touch feature mentioned above, this feature...

Quote Originally Posted by TufShine1

Will it attract dust and dirt?

TUF SHINE Clearcoat is a dry, anti-static finish.

Dust and dirt will settle on the tire, but will not cling to the tire.

You can actually dust your tires or rinse them off with a garden hose.

Dirt and mud will wash off more easily because the sidewall is sealed and protected.

So hang tight while I go do some detailing work to the wheels and tires on this 1987 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Then watch for my review with before and after pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Tuff Shine is all I use on both my cars now!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BucboyInPa View Post
    Tuff Shine is all I use on both my cars now!

I Just purchased the TUF SHINE Black Restore Kit for trim

I'm actually working with it today and hope to have a review posted on it tonight or tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    Like your friend Bob I too live on a dirt road in the sticks. I like to dress my wifes tires with a "wet look" gel but I hate the look and dust attraction on the higher sidewall tires of my truck. I'm looking foward to your opinions on Tuf Shine!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
    Mike,
    Like your friend Bob I too live on a dirt road in the sticks. I like to dress my wifes tires with a "wet look" gel but I hate the look and dust attraction on the higher sidewall tires of my truck. I'm looking foward to your opinions on Tuf Shine!

The tire cleaner works great and even better when you let a machine power the brush instead of your arm...

Best darn tire cleaning brush I've ever used!

I applied the Tuf Shine Clearcoat and then did the swipe test wearing a white glove...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast