autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D151 Pad Choice

Post Thanks / Like

D151 Pad Choice

Hey everyone, so I've been doing quite a bit of research and I have seen most people mention about partnering Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream with a green pad. I have seen some people use an orange medium cutting pad as well, and I am curious if there was a much better result w/ the orange than the green?

Thanks!
    "Hard work always beats talent, if talent don't work hard."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: D151 Pad Choice

It depends on the kind of paint your dealing with. This why you always do a test spot to see which pad and compound work for the kind of paint your dealing with.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank-you very much Pureshine!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ARizzle View Post
    Hey everyone, so I've been doing quite a bit of research and I have seen most people mention about partnering Meguiar's D151 Paint Reconditioning Cream with a green pad. I have seen some people use an orange medium cutting pad as well, and I am curious if there was a much better result w/ the orange than the green?

Thanks!
    D151 is an AIO so you can use any pad, really. It just depends on what you expect to achieve. For instance, if the paint is in good shape and you simply want to clean with little to no correction; you wouldn't use a cutting pad. Rather a polishing pad, jeweling pad or an in-between pad ("green").

Post Thanks / Like

For swirled out beaters I will use an orange CCS. On softer paint you might see some light DA haze after the wax protection wears off but it will look 1000 times better than when it came in.

For most vehicles I end up using a white CCS. Finishes out great and still provides some cut to clean up water spots and polish away light swirls.

D151 works well with MF pads too but you will be cleaning the pads more frequently than normal.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

White polishing pad is generally a good recommendation with an AIO.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    D151 is an AIO so you can use any pad, really. It just depends on what you expect to achieve. For instance, if the paint is in good shape and you simply want to clean with little to no correction; you wouldn't use a cutting pad. Rather a polishing pad, jeweling pad or an in-between pad ("green").
    +100

WITH

Never do more than you have to. It's amazing how many different 'looks' you can get with 1 product, using different pads. Just make sure you keep the test spots the same, identical amount of pressure, identical speed and number of passes. The only variable would be the pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank-you to all the members and friends of mine who contributed, you have cleared up all my questions and possible questions that I may have been thinking about!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

And speaking of D151, anyone wanna' send me a small Meg's squirt bottle to sample?

In the compound/polish arena I have most everything I could possibly need, from D300, 101, 105, D83, 205, UC, #7, UP, Finishing Wax (from the MF kit that actually will work on minor swirls), ScratchX, SwirlX, and I don't remember right now what else, surely some burgundy bottles too. And of course there's the Griot's 1~4 along with glaze and even the AIO 1-step sealant.

[Didn't put any sealants or waxes in the list, that'd just confuse things. Although #7 is in there as it does do a bit of 'finishing'. .]

What can I say, I'm a sucker for a AIO that fits the middle of the road duties. Although..... the MF Correction System I gotta' say they did their homework on! The D300 and Finishing Wax is a 1-2 combo that's pretty schweet.

Still something about that name, "Paint Conditioning Cream" that gets me. I mean REALLY guys, it's not a "compound" it's a freaking CREAM! That's just got to be something special, puts a mental picture out there like a soft hand cream and all that jazz.

What I'm wondering is how it compares to 66. I've never used 66 but it seems to be a solid product, and right in the middle as far as light cut and being an AIO.

I just can't believe how freaking many things I still would like to try. Good LORD I already have more than a mortal man needs.... freaking detailing disease it is, disease indeed. I need more gallons, more gallons, bigger garage, more gallons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    D151 works well with MF pads too but you will be cleaning the pads more frequently than normal.
    Is that because polish gets in the fibers of a mf pad moreso than a foam pad or do you mean that using D151 requires more cleaning than other polishes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast