autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Buying products in a local store

Of course autogeek is the best as far as selection, pricing and service, but can you buy any of these products in stores? Sometimes I run out of a product and sure would like to pick up something quick to continue my detailing. Meg's seems to be no problem. But what about stuff like Wolfgang, pinnacle, blackfire! Etc. do I have to hit a car show

I live in the Dallas-ft. Worth area.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buying products in a local store

First of all, to Autogeek.

Pep Boys have been known to carry other brands such as Autoglym, Surf City Garage and others as well as Meguiar's.

But haven't seen any Wolfgang, Pinnacle, Blackfire brands in any stores nor auto shows (yet).
    Smoke Metallic '06 Altima

Post Thanks / Like

Advance Auto has starting carrying Griot's Garage stuff. BTW, welcome to AG!
    Trent
    PRD

Post Thanks / Like

Mothers, Meg's and Stoners products can often be found at Advanced Auto and Pep Boys, too.

S100 Total Cycle Cleaner (which some use for cars) is usually carried by bike shope - especially Harley Davidson.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Sommy View Post
    Of course autogeek is the best as far as selection, pricing and service, but can you buy any of these products in stores? Sometimes I run out of a product and sure would like to pick up something quick to continue my detailing. Meg's seems to be no problem. But what about stuff like Wolfgang, pinnacle, blackfire! Etc. do I have to hit a car show

I live in the Dallas-ft. Worth area.

I'm not an expert at "retail marketing", but I know enough to know that getting a product onto a "shelf" at a retail Hard Parts Store like Autozone or a department store like Walmart is dang near impossible and if it does happen a lot of negotiating and money was involved behind the scenes.

A company basically has to pay for each skew or space on a retail shelf to place their product in the store. At this level, profit margins are small and in order to keep that space the product must rotate a lot, that means bottles have to fly off the shelf or you'll lose the space.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to work for Nabisco and believe me there is a whole lot involved in getting a new product on the shelf and yes there are behind the scenes payoffs involved. Unless you have a high level inside connection it's next to impossible or at least very, very expensive. Vendors are cutthroat and will not hesitate to steal your space and even remove your products from the shelf, it's a never ending battle.

Post Thanks / Like

All the body shop supply stores around me carry the 3M line but they are much more expensive then AG even at wholesale. (Ultrafina $69 vs $49) Autozone carries Megs professional Mirror Glaze products depending on the store.
    Best Regards,
    Scott Muscle Car Detailing - Mod and Shine
    Detailing supplies aren't cheap, but they're a lot cheaper then therapy

Post Thanks / Like

A neighbor of mine,when he saw my bottle of Collinite, told me that an
    Advance Auto Parts on the other side of town had it, but behind the counter for some reason.

Post Thanks / Like

You have to also take into consideration that these "top shelf" online-only products are made in low volume batches to guarantee product quality. Mass market corporate chain retailers buy in large quantities, so either the product manufacturer such as BF WG, etc. would have to compromise on their integrity to meet the retailers demands or develop a new product line specific to large retail chains. Then, their product would not be any better than those you already see on the shelf.

Not to mention the average consumer that Advance cater toward wouldn't know the difference between BFWD and Megs NXT 2.0 unless they stumbled onto it by accident.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast