autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ultima Elastrofoam - Issues

Well I got this on BOGO a while ago and had only given it a try once on a small section of a customers hood. Just to give it a try and had no issues.

Yesterday however I detailed an Audi Q7 and used the the elastrofoam with the supplied lube from Ultima and it left these I guess you could call them streaks or stains on the hood and fender.

I followed the instructions and prior to using on the paint I did all the windows to level the block down.

Here are few pics of what I am talking about. Anyone else experience this? I even went over it with an IPA wipe down and the spots still stayed there. Luckily it was a 1 step correction being done so the spots and stains came out no problem.

Just curious as to those of you using this and if anyone has experienced this. I didn't end up doing the whole car with it, but just the windows, hood, and drivers side fender. I then noticed what it was doing so switched over to my normal clay.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ultima Elastrofoam - Issues

I've read a review on another forum (DW) showing the exact same marks - they appear to be marring that the block is leaving behind.
    Francis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by umi000 View Post
    I've read a review on another forum (DW) showing the exact same marks - they appear to be marring that the block is leaving behind.
    That's what I was afraid of. If I'm polishing out the car then it's no big deal but if it's just a normal wash and I use this to clay it could cause some issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    That's what I was afraid of. If I'm polishing out the car then it's no big deal but if it's just a normal wash and I use this to clay it could cause some issues.
    That sentence pretty much sums up what I have read about it. Great for those situations when your doing some correction... I will still probably end up buying it.

Post Thanks / Like

My recollection is that most users consider this to be an aggressive clay substitute, so use it as you would say ClayMagic or Meguiar's red clay (and plan to have to polish after).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    My recollection is that most users consider this to be an aggressive clay substitute, so use it as you would say ClayMagic or Meguiar's red clay (and plan to have to polish after).

I have been using these for several years now although under the original Hi-tech brand.
    they are a fairly aggressive product and be prepared to polish after using it.

Post Thanks / Like

They are definately more aggressive than a fine grade clay, but not quite as aggressive as clay magic red. I use mine all of the time, but I generally am going to polish afterwards so no big deal.

I have found that it takes a while to get it broken in so that marring doesn't occur.
    Garry Dean - Tampa, FL - 813-846-4406
    Auto, Boat, RV, Motorcycle, Aircraft Detailing
    Premium Custom Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

I have experienced this when when the block hits a section where there is not enough lube and it sort of sticks to the paint. It seems to be more of a transfer of the material that the face of the block is made of than marring. I've had the same thing happen with regular clay when it hits an area with no lube but the clay residue is easier to remove. In my experience with using the block, this happens less and less as the block gets more broken in.

Another thing that I have experienced is, as the block gets a bit tattered from use, if pressing hard on the edge of the block while gliding over the paint it will sometimes leave a dark brown streak of almost tar like substance on the paint. This is the adhesive material that holds the face of the block to the foam and it is hard to remove unless it is polished off.

I rarely ever clay a car where I won't be polishing afterward and if I do I'll be using Meguiar's Smooth Surface clay as I find it to be the least aggressive clay that I buy. I find the Elastrofoam Block to be a more production worthy decontamination system but as others have said I am always polishing afterward.

Post Thanks / Like

Jason - I had the same experience that you had (pictures below).

It looked to me like the elastrofoam basically wet-sanded the orange peal making it look like this:

It all polished out just fine, but it was still troublesome. I made sure to do the windows first (same as your process) but considering how good Ultima's product line is I still am wondering if I am doing something improperly.

I haven't used the system since and went back to clay; though it would be nice if there were a change I could make to go back to using the elastrofoam, would cut down the need for an extra wash after claying.
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I am leaning toward agreeing with Dave and it being related to lube. I found some of this when using DP R&G (lube strength) but none when using ONR (lube strength) or Dodo Born Slippy.

With Dodo Born Slippy, I experienced no marring on a butter soft black Lexus hood that EVERY MF in my arsenal marred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast