autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Folks, Some help.

Hey folks. So I'm pretty intent on purchasing my first polisher and taking advantage of the black friday sale. I will be primarily using this on Honda vehicles with thin paint.

My question is what pads and other accessories should I be purchasing?

I've concluded so far to purchase the GG polisher because of the extra added power, M105 and M205. I've also read somewhere to buy a Menzerna product to finish after 205. Any recommendations of that?

Also I want to purchase pads for the stock 6" backing plate. What should I be considering or purchasing. I'm fairly new to machine polishing and want to start this right!

Thanks for the help and hope y'all had a great thanksgiving.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hey Folks, Some help.

Honda's have soft paint that is easily corrected. Probably don't need 105/205

I'd go with Menz SIP or Power Finish followed by 106FA or 85rd (SF4500)
    I'd also get flat pads, either 7/8 in hydrotechs (tangerine and crimson -- cyan's not so good on soft paint) or LC flats (orange white black).

GG6 should be able to spin the 6.5 in pads no problem but they are a bit big. Might want to consider a 5in bp and 5.5 inch pads...
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like

I previously owned an Acura RSX (also made by honda), i had the chance to use a paint thickness gauge on it. I found out the factory paint was very very thin. I would stay away from the 105. Its a pretty agressive product.Try some thing mid agressive like Wolfgang "total swirl remover". then a finer polish. 5 inch backin plate is great for the 5.5 inch pads which work well with the GG machine. XMT 360 is a great one step I used on my Acura. Not too agressive but leaves a great gloss behind.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go with Meguiar's D300, mf cutting discs, Menzerna PO85RD, Lake Country flat black pads. It wouldn't hurt to have M205 and a couple tangerine Hydro Tech pads on hand but I think the above combo will be just fine.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    Honda's have soft paint that is easily corrected. Probably don't need 105/205

I'd go with Menz SIP or Power Finish followed by 106FA or 85rd (SF4500)
    I'd also get flat pads, either 7/8 in hydrotechs (tangerine and crimson -- cyan's not so good on soft paint) or LC flats (orange white black).

GG6 should be able to spin the 6.5 in pads no problem but they are a bit big. Might want to consider a 5in bp and 5.5 inch pads...
    good advice... don't use the griots pads

Menzerna polishes are the industry leader IMO.

Or go with Lake Country CCS pads. Orange, White, Blue or Gray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    I would go with Meguiar's D300, mf cutting discs, Menzerna PO85RD, Lake Country flat black pads. It wouldn't hurt to have M205 and a couple tangerine Hydro Tech pads on hand but I think the above combo will be just fine.
    I havent tried the RD85 but Richard is spot on regarding the Megs Cutting MF.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, D300 and MF cutting is the same as 105 and foam imo

You can probably get away with a one step using power finish on orange pads, maybe even hyperpolish on white...
    I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
    ~Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ First I've heard anyone say that. But then again, what foam pad w/ M105? That's what I like about discussions, it's fun to read others experiences because you never know when you'll pick up on something.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got done doing a winter detail on my car, a 2010 Acura TSX. The paint, of course, is soft as heck. I used a PC7424XP with Lake Country Tangerine Hydro Tech pads. For the product(s) I used the Wolfgang Twins (Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze). I used grey CCS pads to apply the Finishing Glaze. I topped that with some machine applied Collinite 915 and another product. It came out great!!!

This past summer I did a 3 stage machine polish with Sonus SFX-2 through 4. I was amazed at the results. I would recommend, for your vehicle, using the Wolfgang Twins. The pads I recommend are either the Lake Country Flats or the Hydro Techs. The Low profile techs may last you a bit longer. You just gotta make sure that you're cleaning the pads and switching them out. If you go with the Hydro Techs, I recommend getting atleast 6 of them...and yes...use all 6 while polishing. You will find that these pads do not last long. Once they get saturated they will build up heat fairly quickly, which will cause the middle of the pad to degrade. Switch them out after each panel....trust me.

Top the polish off with a great carnauba wax and you'll be ready to roll!
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose it depends on the paint. This was a Honda Odyssey, 2007-2009 can't remember. Used 2 tangerine HT pads and M205. The whole thing was wiped down with CarPro Eraser before receiving Duragloss 601/105 combo.

Before

After M205 on tangerine low profile Hydro Tech

2003 Mitsubishi Evolution VIII, softest and thinnest paint I've dealt with. Most of the car measured 2.3 mils except for the c pillars, 1.9 mils. Door jambs measured 1.3 mils if I remember correctly. Had to wipe the car down with a 4:1 solution of water/alcohol, stronger solutions and the paint marred even with PakShak Ultra Edgeless towels. This car took 5 days to finish due to the soft paint. LSP was Optimum Car Wax.

50/50 M105 on cyan HT pad - the paint did not like this combo at all

50/50 D300/mf cutting disc

Before

After D300/PO85RD

After PO85RD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast