autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Poorboys Trim Restorer (PBTR) Help

First off, I apologize for the pictures, I only had a camera phone to use.

I am having trouble with the application of Poorboys Trim Restorer (PBTR). I just received my purchase yesterday and was eager to try it out.

So I washed the old 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager (nearing 200k miles on her) and dryed with a waffle weave towel and ONR quick detailer spray.

After drying, I started to apply my new PBTR with a foam paint brush. It looked good at first, but as it soon dried, the results were not good...

The trim was clean, but not stripped of the old protectant. This was not the only spot that I had problems with, it was happening to all the grey vinyl textured trim. I have previously used Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant and Duragloss #253 TRD (Tire & Rubber Dressing) with good results, but wanted to try PBTR because I heard good things about it.

PBTR worked great on the black textured plastic...

After trying many different ways to apply it to the grey trim (thin coat, thick coat, buffing the coat, 2 coats, 3 coats, etc.), I gave up. I went and grabbed my bottle of Ultimate Protectant and applied it over the PBTR on the grey trim and this was the result...

Here is a final picture after applying the Meg's Ultimate Protectant. As you can see there is a fair bit of grey trim to cover.

Has anyone else run into this problem?
    Any thoughts on what I could do to get it to work on the grey trim?
    (I really don't want to strip the grey trim bare just to see if that would help. Maybe I could try it on just one small section.)
    Could the ONR have interferred with the application?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poorboys Trim Restorer (PBTR) Help

Try cleaning the plastic with straight isopropyl alcohol (IPA), then apply. Do a test section first.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I think I'll do that. I really want to try to get it to work and see how it will look and last if applied correctly. I am just scratching my head wondering why it wouldn't work. I never had this problem with other trim products. I just applied over what ever was left on there. I'll probably try that small section in the picture or maybe one on the front mud flaps. They're made of the same material. Maybe I'll try cleanig one mudflap with APC and the other with IPA to see if either one works.

Post Thanks / Like

Applying one over the other, especially if it's been on there for a while, should not affected it at all. I use both Poorboy's World Trim Restorer and Meguiar's Ultimate Protectant and really like them both. What I can tell you is if the plastic is old and porous then several coats need to be applied to even things out.

Keep doing one section and see if things improve with a few coats. Wipe the product on in several different directions to even out the application.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

did you clean all plastic trim first ??? Perhaps it was drying improperly due to the last protectant used ???

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    did you clean all plastic trim first ??? Perhaps it was drying improperly due to the last protectant used ???
    Well I cleaned it, as in I washed the car, but I did not strip it with IPA or something. I think the last protectant I had on there was DG 253 TRD. I wonder if that caused the problem.

I am stripping a test section today and will try again. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I finally got the PBTR to work. I stripped the trim with general purpose cleaner and then did an IPA wipe down. I reapplied PBTR and it's looking pretty good right now.

That's PBTR on the main section in the center of the pic and MUC on the section to the right.

Post Thanks / Like

I mean Megs Ultimate Protectant (MUP not MUC) on the right in the picture in previous post.

Post Thanks / Like

IME MUP is more durable than PBTR FWWIW.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.