autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Poorboys - Order of Application and Pad Type

Ok backgroud, my brother has a 2008 dark blue Chevy Malibu. Very nice car but it has some nice scratches and swirl marks. I recently bought a cyclo polisher and have yet to use it because all of this rain here. The weekend after the 4th I am travling up to visit family and told him I would polish and wax his car so I will get to test it out on his car. I use poorboys products on my Silverado and Tahoe and have for some time but I have done these by hand. With the new polisher just wondering if this sounds to be a good method?

Wash
    Clay
    SSR1 - Orange Pad
    Polish (blue) w/Carnuba - Green Pad
    Nattys blue paste wax - White Pad

Thanks!
    Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poorboys - Order of Application and Pad Type

SSR1 is a very fine polish... it will not do heavy correcting work If you actually want to get scratches out your probably going to need to step up to SSR 2.5

I tend to use 2.5 on my PCxp with an LC CCS org pad for cleanign up moderate swirls and scratches then clean up the marring from that with SSR1 or pro polish on white LC CCS. If I have time I'll try SSR1 on a grey pad LC pad to amp up the gloss a little more.

Now this is using LC pads... not sure how that weighs out with the cyclo pads.

The Polish with carnuba will likely correct the same defects as SSR1. If you want just a 2 step system go with SSR2.5 with a moderately coarse pad selection for your first step then depending on the paint you might finish out well with just the Polish with carnuba (blue) on a polishing pad.

To be more through a 3rd step can be inserted by using SSR1 on a polishing pad then use the polish with carnuba on a finishing pad to amp up the final gloss.... then wax.

If you willing to shop I'd pick up SSR2.5 and switch out the polish with carnuba Blue for Polish with sealant if you have time to let it cure for 8 - 12 hours before waxing... since you will be waxing over the final polishing step this way you get both a sealant and a wax layered on the paint.

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Da Fats; 06-28-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Poorboys - Order of Application and Pad Type

Thanks I appreciated it. I have a ton of the poorboys products and already have the SSR2.5, I figure I will do a test area to see how it works. Dont have a ton of time (8-12 hrs) basically have a day. Anything will be better than how it looks now. Plus he is getting it done for free (maybe a favor down the road)
    Ryan