autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PPF

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PPF

My incoming vehicle will have a full hood & fender wrap. I’ve done the half hood/fender on 3 others and regret being cheap!

2. Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tim500 View Post
    what should one look for in an installer? how do the installs go wrong?
    Get a xpel installer that has a machine to cut over hand cutting do your research on YouTube or Google. Look for sloppy signs of bad hand cuts, leaving dirty edges,
    etc, (remember a poor man pays twice)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Shop around as prices vary significantly.

I have been getting partial front on every car since 2010, which is 5 cars not including the one I just purchased 3 days ago. I kept 2 of those cars for 9 years and there was no discoloration and certainly no "edges getting dirt under them" to make the line more visible. It is visible from certain angles at a close distance but most people are surprised when they see it because they hadn't noticed it before.

I only do partials because shining my car up is a hobby and I like access to the hood and also these are daily drivers. I would probably get much more coverage if I had expensive toys instead.

If the installer uses a national brand of film it will come with a warranty from the manufacturer that is independent of the installer.

I highly recommend it for any car that you drive much.

Post Thanks / Like

how about TracWrap?

Post Thanks / Like

how about TracWrap?
    Tracwrap is a temporary PPF that you apply and take off yourself. As the name suggests, it is designed for people who want to have some PPF protection before hitting the race track. But it is designed for temporary use. Your supposed to apply it before visiting the track and then take it off when you get home. Not meant for long term protection.

I have had Xpel PPF on my 2018 Tesla P3D for the past 3 1/2 years and it still looks just as good as the day the PPF was installed. And this on a car that sits outside 24/7. I am a huge Xpel fan and highly recommend their PPF.

7. Likes dlc95, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

does ppf affect the paints looks and gloss?

Post Thanks / Like

It adds a small amount of orange peel but because it hides small defects, it may actually make the paint look better. Some places don’t even paint correct first because PPF is good at hiding defects. Panels that get their edges wrapped are pretty hard to notice the fill. The ones that aren’t wrapped leave and edge you can see but only when up close.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it definitely helps maintain and protect the paint's appearance and gloss.

Here's an example. A neighbor walked by while I was washing my Tesla. He said something like "Congrats on your brand new Tesla". He was astonished when I told him it was actually 3 1/2 years old and parked outside 24/7. While I do wash it on a weekly basis, I believe the PPF is the main reason the car still looks new.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish my used car that I purchased had PPF because even if the PPF slightly affected the look, it would look a hell of a lot better than rock chips and bird #### etchings in the paint. Even if it reduced the paint look by 10% I’d still take it because it would look a hell of a lot better in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like

after a PPF is installed, can polish angel cosmic spritz and glass coat still be used over top it?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1