autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PPF

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PPF

Quote Originally Posted by tim500 View Post
    other than the cost any downside to PPF
    With time edges get dirt under them and become visible, especially noticeable on white cars. The edges can also lift and the fix is trim it back or replace the whole panel. And many years down the road, replacing the PPF will cost more as removing the old one can be a PITA if one waits too long. 10 years should be fine.
    Bruno Soares

2. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

what should one look for in an installer? how do the installs go wrong?
    Gotta wrap as many edges as possible to avoid the issues I mentioned. Clean location is a must, just like when installing tint. If the installer will score the film on the car he has to know what he’s doing or he’ll scratch your paint and then the protection you’re looking for will actually leave you with expensive damage behind. Look at cars done by your potential installers, don’t just take their best work pictures on instagram as their usual quality.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Soares View Post
    With time edges get dirt under them and become visible, especially noticeable on white cars. The edges can also lift and the fix is trim it back or replace the whole panel. And many years down the road, replacing the PPF will cost more as removing the old one can be a PITA if one waits too long. 10 years should be fine.
    is PPF worth it in your opinion?

Post Thanks / Like

If I spend the money for a new car, the first stop before I start driving it regularly will be a front end PPF install. Second would be heat-rejecting ceramic tint but that isn’t as important as PPF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    If I spend the money for a new car, the first stop before I start driving it regularly will be a front end PPF install. Second would be heat-rejecting ceramic tint but that isn’t as important as PPF.
    do you do the entire hood? I see there are options of full hood or just front bumper and part of the hood.

Post Thanks / Like

On the right car, absolutely. It’s very expensive and doesn’t last forever so spending thousands on a car that is worth $20K, for example, makes no sense in my opinion. But on an exotic it’s almost a must.

I don’t understand people that buy a $45K Tesla and spend $7K to wrap the whole car.

Do I wish I had wrapped my hood and front bumper when my car was new? Definitely.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

do you do the entire hood? I see there are options of full hood or just front bumper and part of the hood.
    Never do partial panels. The line will look atrocious after a while. The hood is easy to wrap as a whole and edges can all be folded back so it looks perfect.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

None of our 7 cars have it. But I would like to have some of them done.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

what should one look for in an installer? how do the installs go wrong?
    Find one that carries product with a lifetime warranty and addresses the re-install labor too. Find one that does custom cuts vs pre-cut or die-cut templates. Exposed edges are inferior thus wrapping edges is best.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I personally recommend the extra costs to do the entire hood. If costs are an issue, that's a reality and you do what you have to do. The line or edge won't be an issue unless it really bothers you. I do this a lot and even on my own personal cars have done both just to show people. However, again, I typically do entire hoods but will more often than not bikini cut fenders as the additional costs/benefit to do the entire fender usually isn't there.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1