autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Meguiar’s Wheel Brightener Consumer Equivalent for paint spot removal

I saw several videos where they used Meguiar’s Wheel Brightener diluted 50/50 with water to remove stubborn water and bird dropping spots. I’m looking for the consumer equivalent since I can’t find the small qty I need locally.

I have a black 96 SVT Cobra Mustang with otherwise excellent paint. Unfortunately a bat 🦇 nested in our garage and peed on my car in a few spots. I could probably buff it off but I want to use the least aggressive method. I hear the Wheel Brightener on for 30 seconds works without harming paint. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Dave in Reading PA.
    Learning to detail for fun and to show my 96 Ford SVT Cobra, Black. My dad always said I was going to wax the paint right off my car. Would wax every weekend. GG 6" DAP

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar’s Wheel Brightener Consumer Equivalent for paint spot removal

I believe the consumer equivalent would be Meguiar's Hot Rims CHROME wheel cleaner. Be very careful with acid-based products though! They can eat through clear in a hurry if you let them dwell too long or dry. Rinse with cold water thoroughly before and afterwards, and try short dwell times first before letting it sit any longer. You may have to resort to polishing the area anyways but acid does have some notable effects on mineralized stains.
    Colin Lang
    @DimensionalShine <- My Detailing IG Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crg001 View Post
    I believe the consumer equivalent would be Meguiar's Hot Rims CHROME wheel cleaner. Be very careful with acid-based products though! They can eat through clear in a hurry if you let them dwell too long or dry. Rinse with cold water thoroughly before and afterwards, and try short dwell times first before letting it sit any longer. You may have to resort to polishing the area anyways but acid does have some notable effects on mineralized stains.

The principal ingredient in D140 is an intermediate to hydrofluoric acid. That said, Meg's own label/literature says it's safe to use on clear-coated & painted wheels.

But I like to live by the "Better safe than sorry" mantra, so if you just have a few spots and they're not too big, I might hit them with something very subtle like a hand application of BF One Step. You could go with something like a Meguiar's Swirl X, etc., but I think you'd want a little "cleaning" power too, thus the BF.

4. Likes crg001 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank You both. I had some luck using Meg’s Scratch-X by hand. But in those spots I now need to polish out the swirls. I tried to call Meguiar’s today but it said the call center is closed due to CA COVID restrictions. I’m guessing it’s been like that for a long time. Dave
    Learning to detail for fun and to show my 96 Ford SVT Cobra, Black. My dad always said I was going to wax the paint right off my car. Would wax every weekend. GG 6" DAP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiney View Post
    Thank You both. I had some luck using Meg’s Scratch-X by hand. But in those spots I now need to polish out the swirls. I tried to call Meguiar’s today but it said the call center is closed due to CA COVID restrictions. I’m guessing it’s been like that for a long time. Dave
    Email them. They probably have someone who will answer emails from home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no pro detailer but I've had great luck with Meg's Water Spot Remover (A3714) without having to polish after.