autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wax/UV protection for black paint

Morning all,

I just purchased a 2 tone Corolla Hatchback with the black roof. I just traded in a black Mazda 3 that was a huge pain to keep looking good. Any suggestions for the black roof for winter grime and summer sun? Two different products for the two seasons maybe?

Thanks

Sid

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wax/UV protection for black paint

Some products boast of UV protection and others don't. How much protection any offer would probably turn into a big debate.

I'm now on my second black car and and I've found the most important thing is to use high quality products, keep the car protected, and keep it clean. You can go the route of a durable sealant or a coating for the protection depending on how deep you want to go down the rabbit hole, just don't let whatever you use wear away completely. Keeping the car clean will help whatever protective product you've used always function at it's peak potential.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Car Wax has patented UV protection. Others claim UV protection as well but I don't know now they compare.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I think out the gate, I'll stick with my Griots spray on wax until I see which way i'll go.

Thanks a ton again guys.

Sid

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just spoke with Griots and they said something interesting I didn't think of. I told him I wanted to put down a good first base coat of wax being the car is brand new and with a black roof. He recommended their "Poly-wax" or their "3 in 1 ceramic". Then just maintain with their spray on. The interesting thing was he said to "check with the dealership or Toyota" on whether there is a break-in period for new cars before applying any other wax. Have you guys ever heard of doing that? If so, what all do you guys do? I am not really seeing the dealership having that kind of info to be honest. But I could be wrong.

Thanks again.

Sid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cityjack View Post
    I just spoke with Griots and they said something interesting I didn't think of. I told him I wanted to put down a good first base coat of wax being the car is brand new and with a black roof. He recommended their "Poly-wax" or their "3 in 1 ceramic". Then just maintain with their spray on. The interesting thing was he said to "check with the dealership or Toyota" on whether there is a break-in period for new cars before applying any other wax. Have you guys ever heard of doing that? If so, what all do you guys do? I am not really seeing the dealership having that kind of info to be honest. But I could be wrong.

Thanks again.

Sid
    New cars don't need extra time before you wax. A repainted vehicle, yes, will need 60 to 90 days before you can put a wax on it.
    Bruno Soares

7. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cityjack View Post

Thanks again.

Sid
    the Poly Wax and 3 in 1 are their most durable waxes they make.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    the Poly Wax and 3 in 1 are their most durable waxes they make.
    Thank you NJ. I just ordered a bottle from Amazon.

Have a good week.

Sid