autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Micro Polisher for Weekend Detailer

Hey there friends,

I am a weekend detailer of my own cars only. I polish my cars a few times each year. I want to buy a micro polisher, something like the Nano but not spend $600 dollars for something I’ll use a few times a year.
    Does anybody have recommendations? The Adam’s machine? The SPTA machine? Maybe adapt a G8 to a 1” backing plate with an extension?
    Any help will be appreciated.

Jim Foster

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Micro Polisher for Weekend Detailer

Rotary - Griot's GR3... about $200 --------------- Random Orbital - Griot's G8... about $140

Both are 3" tools.

The Random Orbital also comes with a 2" backing plate.

The Rotary comes with 1", 2" and 3" backing plates plus 2" and 3" shaft extensions.

The ibrid nano will get into some tighter spaces but for that functionality you have to spend the bucks.

I've also thought about fabricating a shaft extension for my G8 but I suspect it may throw off the balance too much. Won't know for sure until I try. Even if the balance remains tolerable, it will certainly increase the loads on and decrease the life of the backing plate bearing so keep that in mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Flex PXE 80 if you do t want to spend the money for the ibrid.

4. Thanks betrdays thanked for this post
    Likes custmsprty, KBsToy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in a similar position as OP and have been looking in to a polisher in this class ... I'm about convinced it is well worth the additional $100 or so for the ibrid.

6. Thanks betrdays thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Rotary - Griot's GR3... about $200 --------------- Random Orbital - Griot's G8... about $140

Both are 3" tools.

The Random Orbital also comes with a 2" backing plate.

The Rotary comes with 1", 2" and 3" backing plates plus 2" and 3" shaft extensions.

The ibrid nano will get into some tighter spaces but for that functionality you have to spend the bucks.

I've also thought about fabricating a shaft extension for my G8 but I suspect it may throw off the balance too much. Won't know for sure until I try. Even if the balance remains tolerable, it will certainly increase the loads on and decrease the life of the backing plate bearing so keep that in mind.
    I use this to extend the G8.

Shift Linkage Extension Kit for Harley-Davidson Motorcycles with 5/16"-24 Right-Hand Threaded Ends.

I use the shorter extension on a 3" backing plate all the time without issue. I find the length of the shorter extension gives me better sight line to what I am doing. G8 comes with a 2 inch backing plate as well but the 8mm throw is too large for a 1 inch backing plate in my opinion. With a 8 mm throw, its close to a third of a 1 inch backing plate. Thats a lot movement for such a small plate considering the purpose is to get into small places.

Ibrid long neck comes with a 3mm, 12mm, and a rotary functional unit. Its a great unit for getting in to the tight spaces but the cost of admission is high. A mini rotary (Flex PE8) is a good substitute by adding this attachment.

I have all the above tools in my arsenals and it allows me to get in to just about everywhere on the vehicle.

8. Likes 2black1s, Azure, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The old Adam’s mini had issues but hear good things about their new pro.... google and watch some for reviews.

For me if I do decide in a mini i’ll pay the little extra and get the pixie....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    I use this to extend the G8.

Shift Linkage Extension Kit for Harley-Davidson Motorcycles with 5/16"-24 Right-Hand Threaded Ends.

I use the shorter extension on a 3" backing plate all the time without issue. I find the length of the shorter extension gives me better sight line to what I am doing. G8 comes with a 2 inch backing plate as well but the 8mm throw is too large for a 1 inch backing plate in my opinion...
    Thanks for the tip on the HD parts. That will save me some search time and/or make my own time.

I've only used my G8 once so far to polish my bike. That was with the 3-inch pad. During that initial use I noticed the "line-of-sight" issue and just imagined how much worse it would be with the 2-inch pad. That's what got me thinking of an extension.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the HD parts. That will save me some search time and/or make my own time.

I've only used my G8 once so far to polish my bike. That was with the 3-inch pad. During that initial use I noticed the "line-of-sight" issue and just imagined how much worse it would be with the 2-inch pad. That's what got me thinking of an extension.
    Great mind thinks alike. LOL

I had the same thought upon the first time using the G8 so I experimented with several items and found the HD part worked the best.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for the insight. I’ll buy the HD extensions for sure. I guess my only open issue is a 1” solution. I’m not sure which polisher is the most cost effective way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd buy the Griots and adaptors that are available for it. Honestly, there are very rarely any places I use a 1" polisher when I'm working on cars. 95% of the time it's a 2 or 3" pad.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast