autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ozone Generator... Does it really work?

I get quite a few cars in where there is some sort of smoke smell that needs to be removed permanently due to trying to sell the vehicle.

Since smoke can be a real deal killer I have seen these ozone generators and read that they work.

Does anyone have first hand experience with one? Any feedback would be appretiated

Jon
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ozone Generator... Does it really work?

I have never personally used one but I hear they work.

I have also heard good things about auto vaccine. Their system uses Chlorine Dioxide to remove smells, bacteria, etc...You can google it to find out more, but this is what they say on their website about ozone generators..

"Other chemicals such as ozone can also physically change odor-causing chemical compounds (get rid of them). However, ozone is also very reactive with many non-targeted materials, such as dust in the air, fabric, and plastic and metals that are in the surrounding environment. Because of these non-targeted side reactions, more ozone may be needed for a particular job in order to maintain a level high enough to react with the odor-causing compounds. Additionally, aggressive side reactions can damage furniture and appliances in the area being deodorized with ozone. Ozone also requires the use of sophisticated machinery and electricity."

Post Thanks / Like

Don't apartment complexes use Ozone Generators? Pretty positive they do. I'd imagine using one in a car for a day (or however long they take) would basically filter the air completely and remove any sort of smell.

Post Thanks / Like

If you get a high output one they work really well. I've used concentrations high enough to defunk entire houses. Prices can range from $50 to 3000. I paid $360 for mine and it works great.

Ozone is toxic at higher concentrations. Depending on the odor I'll run in about 25min with the windows up, then give it about 2 hours with the windows down to vent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by santov View Post
    If you get a high output one they work really well. I've used concentrations high enough to defunk entire houses. Prices can range from $50 to 3000. I paid $360 for mine and it works great.

Ozone is toxic at higher concentrations. Depending on the odor I'll run in about 25min with the windows up, then give it about 2 hours with the windows down to vent.
    Thanks guys,

Do you know what the output on your maching is?

Im looking at one that is around that price. I would love it if it worked in 25 min!
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

I have read that the ozone can damage interior parts so yeah, timing would be a major concern.

Post Thanks / Like

Errrr I t hink mine is 2000 parts per hour, but that number is subjective (like horsepower from brand to brand). And yes, ozone is an oxidizer, so it has the ability to turn dashboards white. I even heard the paint peeling off kitchen cabinets. But you'd have to run the machine for hours and hours. One dose of 20min and if that doesn't work perhaps a second dose. Of course the source of the odor has to be addressed.

Post Thanks / Like

Where I work at we use a lot of ozone but it's not for cars. We deal with a company called ozone solutions and they are real experts in the ozone field. Here's what they say about it.

Ozone Instructions for your Car : Ozone Journal

Post Thanks / Like

We just purchased a thermal fogger for our smoke odor elimination. We used it on our first car and it was amazing. No smoke odor left at all. The process involves running the heater and air conditioner while treating with the smoke so it gets into the ventilation system. The whole process took about 1 1/2 hours.

The machine and 1 gallon of chemical cost about $300.

It removed the smell completely. The customer was thrilled.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Those Dakota smoke odor eliminators surprisingly worked freaking amazing on 2 vehicles I used them on, had several people smell them days later and still nothing had returned cheap and effective so I bought 3 more cans
    A passion for perfection!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast