autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any recommendations on a cordless blow dryer?

I don't currently use it for the car. I have in the past used a Kawasaki cordless blower, a Toro corded blower, and the EGO blower. I currently have a BigBoi Blower Pro that I sometimes pull out to blow the car off if I'm not using a rinseless wash. But my second choice would be the EGO blower and it isn't even close. Grab the battery, connect, and blow. No gas, no trying to get anything started. Just plug and go.

But mostly my statement is based on the pain that is gas as compared to the simplicity that is battery. I've been an EGO user since the beginning and their blower is my favorite. I used the EGO trimmer (1st-gen) but I didn't find it strong enough so I bought a Kawasaki gas trimmer. I gave that to my brother in law after a couple years and bought a Honda gas trimmer. I liked the Kawasaki gas trimmer and I wish I wouldn't have given it to him as my Honda mower and trimmer are much more a pain in the butt than the Kawasaki after just a couple years. Through it all the EGO blower has been going strong. Note that I did switch from the original brushed blower to the more powerful brushless EGO blower.

EDIT - Oh yeah, the EGO blower is pretty darn light too.

EDIT2 - And I maintain all of my equipment. I only use ethanol-free gas. I remove the gas in the fall when I'm done with it for the year. And I get the equipment serviced in the spring.

Post Thanks / Like

I also used the EGO blower for Halloween to blow little baggies of candy down a 10' 3" pipe. When I first tested the blower at full power, it shot the candy all the way across the yard about 30'. Turned it all the way down and we still had to put a small dog bed vertically in a box so the candy could bounce off and into a box so the kids could pickup the candy. The EGO blower worked awesome and everyone liked the setup especially one kid that said "Do it again! Do it again!" Of course that isn't drying a car but was a fun use.

Post Thanks / Like

https://images.homedepot-static.com/...624-64_100.jpg

Toro Power jet F700 140MPH 725cfm

It’s corded but hasn’t been an issue. Works wonder’s and is an awesome deal. Ever since i got my Master Blaster SideKick I just use that. Smaller easier to wield. Water flies off the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

I'll chime in,

I use the FLEX Cordless because out of the car dryers we sell, it's the one I like the best.

BUT - I only use it for blowing out cracks, crevices, emblems, door handles, tail lights, body seams, etc. Basically the places water pools and hides after rinsing.
    '

Now follow me...

I normally only do PREP WASHES. By definition, a Prep Wash is to clean the car in order to PREP it for detailing. Thus this normally means the car is NEGLECTED and this means there's no wax, sealant or coating on the paint thus the water is not going to BEAD UP so after washing and rinsing you can EASILY BLOW THE WATER OFF.

Make sense?

A car blower for blowing off rinse water works best if the car as a fresh coat of wax or sealant, or has some brand of ceramic, quartz, polymer, graphene, nano coating on it. Paint that is regularly maintained and has SOMETHING on it that makes water bead up is where a blower of some sort actually works pretty damn good.

So back to me, I normally do Prep Washes, not maintenance washes, so after washing a car I dry it off using Guzzler Waffle Weave microfiber drying towels like I show here,

Review: Cobra 3-Pack The Supreme Guzzler Waffle Weave Towels 20 x 40 inches

Cobra Guzzler Waffle Weave Drying Towels

And then blow out all the nooks and crannies with the FLEX Cordless Blower. And for what I use it for and because it's cordless - it works for me.

Now I had a customer that I installed a ceramic coating on his car. He asks me?

How do I take care of the coating?

I shared my article on how to wash a coated car and then suggested to him to check out the EGO 650 CFF Blower. The TV commercial that shows a guy blowing through an ocean of leaves is quite impressive. This much power and being cordless is impressive.

He took my advice, used it one time and then told me he LOVES it!

And for the "average person", this means someone that may not have GREAT skills at TOUCHING PAINT. And remember, how long any wax, sealant or coating lasts and how long it LOOKS GOOD - all comes down to how WE TOUCH IT. So if the average person can carefully wash the car and then stop TOUCHING IT and blow the water off, my hunch is the end reslts will last longer and look good longer, (that's two things), because they've removed at least ONE factor that determines longevity and looks.

Makes sense?

I shared this story with Chris Metcalf from FLEX North America. FLEX is owned by Chervon. Chervon also owns EGO. So I suggested to Chris to have the EGO 650 CFM Blower re-created in the FLEX color branding and market this leaf blower as a Touchless Car Dryer.

I love the FLEX Blower and if you have a fresh coat of wax, a fresh synthetic sealant or a coating of some form on your car it does work to blow the water off but compared to other options - like the Metro Vac Master BLASTER, which works freaking amazing, it's simply not as powerful and thus not as effective.

It does work great for Prep Washes though.

FWIW

5. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

Ever since i got my Master Blaster SideKick I just use that.

Smaller easier to wield. Water flies off the car.

I show the Metrovac Sidekick in all my car detailing classes, even pack one to my roadshow classes.

I also make sure everyone in every class feels how strong the air power is from this tool because it's impressive for it's size.

It's also only $100.00

Metro Blaster SideKick

Freaking handy tool that every enthusiast and pro alike should own.

7. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a Griot's PFM towel most of the time instead of a blower. It's more convenient for me and it's the best drying towel I've EVER used. In fact, I'll go on to say it's the best detailing product I've bought in some years.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I own an 18v Milwaukee three speed blower. I bought it because I already own Milwaukee tools.
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Makita cordless model (18v) for being very light and I was already committed to their other tools. They do offer a dual 18v model but it is a bit pricey and does weigh more.

Like Spikey Mike, the Milwaukee blower is solid too if you are already using their batteries in other tools.

I use a corded WORX that out does the Makita by a slight amount but they have to drag along the cord. So most of the time the cordless is best.

For small cracks, side mirrors, door edges i use a cordless Ryobi small blower ($49) but have use the FLEX variation and it is better for longer battery life.

For corded small blower, Mike Phillips is correct on the Sidekick Jr. Blaster. If the price scares you off then look for the pet blowers. They work as well but not as built as tough as that Sidekick!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I'll chime in,

I use the FLEX Cordless because out of the car dryers we sell, it's the one I like the best.

BUT - I only use it for blowing out cracks, crevices, emblems, door handles, tail lights, body seams, etc. Basically the places water pools and hides after rinsing.

Now follow me...

I normally only do PREP WASHES. By definition, a Prep Wash is to clean the car in order to PREP it for detailing. Thus this normally means the car is NEGLECTED and this means there's no wax, sealant or coating on the paint thus the water is not going to BEAD UP so after washing and rinsing you can EASILY BLOW THE WATER OFF.

Make sense?

And here's an example. These pictures taken about one hour ago. I just washed an old 2-door Chevy starting with the wheels and tires first. After washing and rinsing the wheels and tires I blew out the wheels using the FLEX Cordless Blower. This is a part of a PREP WASH.

Works great for this type of work when doing a Prep Wash. I dried the body off with Guzzlers.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised you don't use PFMs for drying;they're that great
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast