autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Mixing Cquartz and ExoV4

Just purchased another round of Cquartz, CSL and ExoV4 coatings for some projects at home from AG. This question is either blasphemous or overkill but I just thought I would throw it out there as I am still fairly new to this. So from some durability tests that I have seen, Gliss seemed to not hold up as well as I would have thought. Exo however seems to be really solid. The reverse appears to be true for the base coating with Cquartz being very durable but CSL checking out a bit early.

I know that Gtechniq doesn't recommend mixing there stuff with other brands not knowing what the compatibility would be but the adventurous side of me would like to try Cquartz for a base and some Exo for a topper. Any comments or anyone tried this? Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mixing Cquartz and ExoV4

I agree. I think Exo is kind of week compared to cquartz. I used Exo V3 and not V4. I would use Cquartz by itself. It doesn't really need a topper. But again it is completely up to you.

3. Likes Loach liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, very interesting. I appreciate the input. I know that CP says gliss is about a 12 month coating and GTechniq says that ExoV4 is 18-24 months and that is consistent with the results I have seen. I agree that cquartz is more durable than Exo but I was considering using Exo for a top coat for claimed easier removal of water spots. I would use gliss but again, from what I have seen, its durability seems consistent with what CarPro claims and is far less than topping with Exo. From a durability standpoint, as a topper, Exo seems to be better than Gliss. But again, thats based on some observations of mine and a few tests that I have seen performed on youtube.

Post Thanks / Like

I went with UK 3.0 and Gliss v2. Even if Gliss starts to fade away around 12 months, I think I can extend it to 18 or so by topping with Elixir and if I make it to 18 months then I'm ok with polishing and starting over, there will be issues I'll want to address after that much time.

I don't need a coating that lasts 3 or 5 years or even longer because what good is that coating lasting so long if some water spots will come, some marring might come, then to fix that you have to destroy the coating anyways.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s the thing with all of these lab claims and so called torture tests. Don’t buy into them too much. All of that goes out the window as soon as a particular coating is used and the type of environment and care it is exposed to.

Take this for what it’s worth but Exo spotted on me. One thing it has over UK 3.0 is the slickness as does CSL.

You want to experiment with Cquartz coating them too UK with TiO2. You get the hardness of UK and the stain resistance of TiO2.

This is my uncles 2002 Corvette with this combo and it sure looked good. He does not drive that often so it doesn’t see too much rain. But a couple years later it still looks good.

Or you can triple stack the Cquartz coatings like I did on mine. I have yet to pull it out of the garage for a full photo.

And I saw this on Instagram from CarPro

There is nothing wrong wanting to experiment so give Exo a try. Someone on this forum have topped their coatings with Gyeon CanCoat.

7. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all the input, it is very helpful. I just put a couple of coats of UK on my wifes pilot and topped it with some Gliss. The Gliss is noticeably smoother of coarse than the UK. It did help with the water spotting also. I dont really like mixing systems but in this case I just thought it would be handy to have the top coat duration last close to the length of time that the base coat does. But you folks have provided some excellent counter points.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with The Guz on this one. I don't think CQUK 3.0 needs any sort of heavier topper to get great performance.

I can supplement lighter spray toppers to prolong durability instead and still get really satisfying performance. I haven't tested EXO or Gliss on top of CQUK, but if I had an urge to go with a heavier topper, I probably would go with Gliss V2 rather than EXO. I think Gliss is just a bit more hydrophobic than EXO when fresh and a bit slicker, also easier to work with for me. EXO is heavier, and is more durable than Gliss V2 by itself, but you won't need the heaviness or durability of EXO if you've got the base layer of CQUK.

I think I'm real close to 2.5 years of total durability out of both CQUK 3.0 and CQuartz TiO2 with fantastic performance using only spray toppers, I might try Gliss V2 on top of CQUK before stripping it off. And maybe show Essence Plus on top of TiO2 to highlight why I wouldn't recommend Essence Plus if you're trying to maintain hydrophobic performance.

10. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Someone on this forum have topped their coatings with Gyeon CanCoat.
    Guilty.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Again, thank you all for your input. I think I'm just gonna stick with UK 3.0 and MAY do a gliss coat. I'm really overthinking this.

13. Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    I'm with The Guz on this one. I don't think CQUK 3.0 needs any sort of heavier topper to get great performance.

I can supplement lighter spray toppers to prolong durability instead and still get really satisfying performance. I haven't tested EXO or Gliss on top of CQUK, but if I had an urge to go with a heavier topper, I probably would go with Gliss V2 rather than EXO. I think Gliss is just a bit more hydrophobic than EXO when fresh and a bit slicker, also easier to work with for me. EXO is heavier, and is more durable than Gliss V2 by itself, but you won't need the heaviness or durability of EXO if you've got the base layer of CQUK.

I think I'm real close to 2.5 years of total durability out of both CQUK 3.0 and CQuartz TiO2 with fantastic performance using only spray toppers, I might try Gliss V2 on top of CQUK before stripping it off. And maybe show Essence Plus on top of TiO2 to highlight why I wouldn't recommend Essence Plus if you're trying to maintain hydrophobic performance.
    Thank you for sharing. BTW, I am a subscriber and very much enjoy and appreciate your reviews.

15. Likes Loach liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast