autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mixing Cquartz and ExoV4

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    I'm with The Guz on this one. I don't think CQUK 3.0 needs any sort of heavier topper to get great performance.

I can supplement lighter spray toppers to prolong durability instead and still get really satisfying performance. I haven't tested EXO or Gliss on top of CQUK, but if I had an urge to go with a heavier topper, I probably would go with Gliss V2 rather than EXO. I think Gliss is just a bit more hydrophobic than EXO when fresh and a bit slicker, also easier to work with for me. EXO is heavier, and is more durable than Gliss V2 by itself, but you won't need the heaviness or durability of EXO if you've got the base layer of CQUK.

I think I'm real close to 2.5 years of total durability out of both CQUK 3.0 and CQuartz TiO2 with fantastic performance using only spray toppers, I might try Gliss V2 on top of CQUK before stripping it off. And maybe show Essence Plus on top of TiO2 to highlight why I wouldn't recommend Essence Plus if you're trying to maintain hydrophobic performance.
    On your spray topper on UK, did you use reload? or something else. I have to admit I like the slickness of C2v3 but again, were into mixing plus I am unsure of its durability compared to reload.
    ***Edit...I went back and reviewed your longterm updates and see that you have used several...my apologies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Here’s the thing with all of these lab claims and so called torture tests. Don’t buy into them too much. All of that goes out the window as soon as a particular coating is used and the type of environment and care it is exposed to.

Take this for what it’s worth but Exo spotted on me. One thing it has over UK 3.0 is the slickness as does CSL.

You want to experiment with Cquartz coating them too UK with TiO2. You get the hardness of UK and the stain resistance of TiO2.

This is my uncles 2002 Corvette with this combo and it sure looked good. He does not drive that often so it doesn’t see too much rain. But a couple years later it still looks good.

Or you can triple stack the Cquartz coatings like I did on mine. I have yet to pull it out of the garage for a full photo.

And I saw this on Instagram from CarPro

There is nothing wrong wanting to experiment so give Exo a try. Someone on this forum have topped their coatings with Gyeon CanCoat.
    Excellent points. Hadn't considered layering /Ti02 with UK. So, say you wanted to skip gliss, would/could you do 2 base coats of UK and use Ti02 as the topper? I know UK's strength assumes two layers, not sure if Ti02 is as durable as UK, so just wasn't sure if that if I did 1 coat of UK and 1 coat of Ti02 if it would compromise longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gmcvt View Post
    Excellent points. Hadn't considered layering /Ti02 with UK. So, say you wanted to skip gliss, would/could you do 2 base coats of UK and use Ti02 as the topper? I know UK's strength assumes two layers, not sure if Ti02 is as durable as UK, so just wasn't sure if that if I did 1 coat of UK and 1 coat of Ti02 if it would compromise longevity.
    1 layer of each is all that is required per Corey of CarPro US.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

5. Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mixing Cquartz and ExoV4

Quote Originally Posted by gmcvt View Post
    Again, thank you all for your input. I think I'm just gonna stick with UK 3.0 and MAY do a gliss coat. I'm really overthinking this.
    Yes to this.
    I applied two coats of UK 3.0
    Top coat of Gliss
    Quite satisfied with the results

CarPro Gliss V2 and Cquartz UK 3.0 Hydrophobicity - YouTube

Gliss does indeed prevent water spotting. About a week after installation, the car was parked unknowingly near sprinklers. It was a worst case scenario, as the side of the car was exposed to the intense summer sun facing west. So the water spots were baked onto the surface.

For sure, I figured the finish was screwed. But after a hose down (garden hose) and a gentle CarPro reset and wash mit on the spotted area, the spots were gone. Dried clean with no issues.

Will it stave off a similar situation a year from now? Probably not, but I don’t want to find out. Mixing Cquartz and ExoV4

7. Thanks gmcvt thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Encinitas View Post
    Yes to this.
    I applied two coats of UK 3.0
    Top coat of Gliss
    Quite satisfied with the results

CarPro Gliss V2 and Cquartz UK 3.0 Hydrophobicity - YouTube

Gliss does indeed prevent water spotting. About a week after installation, the car was parked unknowingly near sprinklers. It was a worst case scenario, as the side of the car was exposed to the intense summer sun facing west. So the water spots were baked onto the surface.

For sure, I figured the finish was screwed. But after a hose down (garden hose) and a gentle CarPro reset and wash mit on the spotted area, the spots were gone. Dried clean with no issues.

Will it stave off a similar situation a year from now? Probably not, but I don’t want to find out. Mixing Cquartz and ExoV4
    On my wifes BLACK Pilot, I put a coat of gliss on half of the hood. Thankfully I can use it as sort of a test vehicle. I sprinkled some utility water on it (in the garage, not in the sun) and it water spotted both sides but noticeably less on the gliss side. I have not washed it yet to see if the spots will come off. My understanding is the at utility water is worse at spotting BUT is wasnt in the sun either.

9. Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    Guilty.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
    I second this. Just topped it up after a year. Combo looks like liquid glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I ended up doing UK with Gliss. I guess I dont recall the suface characteristic of gliss as to its slickness when I put it on my wifes Pilot(only did it in a test area). I'm surprised how NOT slick Gliss is. Its bettter than just straight UK for sure but it isn't much better. I did a couple of areas on the car with Reload and it was actually slicker than gliss. That cant be right. I am pretty confident in my application method. 2 coats of UK within an hour. Let it set for 24 hours (instructions say wait at least 4 hours) and applied the gliss. Had to work with the flash time a bit, as the first couple of applications I let it flash just a little too long so I adjusted that. Since then I did a quick water test and the hydrophobicity is crazy good. I was just surprised how NOT very slick the surface was. I'm hoping I didn't do something wrong.

Im using the trunk lid of my daily driver as a test panel. Just for fun, because it sits out in the weather all the time. Did 4 test areas. 2 coats of UK, 2 coats of UK and 1 coat of Gliss, 2 coats of gliss and 2 coats of reload. I mention this because the slickness of the Gliss only test area was pretty darn slick and soft. Conversely, the test area with gliss over UK was not as slick, so I assume some of that is the characteristic of UK coming through. Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

I find my UK3+Gliss2 very slick. Not Gyeon Syncro slick but very slick. UK only is not slick.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Mixing Cquartz and ExoV4

And the results of UK3.0 and Gliss on my car were (past tense) very slick.
    I think slickness from anything applied to the surface of a vehicle is the first thing to dissipate. So long as the products do their job of protection, I’m good.

Gliss did an excellent job of preventing sprinkler water spots from etching the coating.

That’s all I got. Your mileage may vary.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast