autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about ceramic Pro

Hello
    does the ceramic pro really takes 2 weeks to cure? I had it applied to my car this past wed-sat. The car has been sitting in my garage since I picked up the car on sat afternoon (about 36 hours now). Was told not to get the car wet for two weeks. It is going to rain next Sunday and I might have to drive the car that day.

thank you

Mike Phillips

Re: Question about ceramic Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rsb1 View Post

Hello
    does the ceramic pro really takes 2 weeks to cure? I had it applied to my car this past wed-sat. The car has been sitting in my garage since I picked up the car on sat afternoon (about 36 hours now). Was told not to get the car wet for two weeks. It is going to rain next Sunday and I might have to drive the car that day.

thank you

Sounds like bubba-proofing to me. Bubba-Proofing in this context would mean telling your customer, (assumed to be the lowest common denominator on Planet Earth), to wait for a long time to make sure you/they don't screw anything up.

Most coatings dry or flash or evaporate off the surface within seconds and minutes. If you don't wipe off any excess or high spots in a short enough time span the product will dry hard enough that you cannot wipe it off. To me that's pretty dry. Waiting a day or two would mean super dry. Waiting 2 weeks would be bubba-proofing.

That said - I always recommend to follow the manufacturers recommendations and/or directions as they are supposed to know their product best.

As for getting the car wet, what I've heard for most products is 24 to 48 hours and to me, any Voodoo Magic that is going to happen at the surface level will have happened after 24 hours, so even 48 hours would be bubba-proofing.

If it's truly 2 weeks according to actual documentation - then consider renting a buzz box for a few days. Car rentals are fairly cheap if you go with an econ-box.

And because this is your first post...

Welcome to AGO!

3. Likes rsb1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. That was very helpful

Post Thanks / Like

I had Ceramic Pro applied last spring. My guy told me not to try to keep it dry for one week, and after that it wasn't a big deal if I got caught in the rain. He also said to wait for two weeks until I washed it. For the most part it was garaged for the two weeks except for one day which my wife had to use it...which turned out to be a sunny day. Since it appears that you will be using it outside the one week window you should be OK if caught in the rain.