autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Non-Toxic Cleaners

Hello Everyone,

I would like to ask for recommendations for cleaners that rely on smart science, or natural cleaners, instead of harsh chemicals. The reason I am asking is because I am prone to headaches using certain chemical cleaners. Secondly, I don't enjoy breathing in these chemicals that make my lungs recoil instantly.
    So, if you have experience with a cleaner that you like, and it doesn't have to be your favorite, I would like to hear about it.

Thank you very much.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Non-Toxic Cleaners

The 303 Multi-Surface concentrate has worked well for me for interiors when needed. You can even clean your fruits and veggies with it. Its a colloidal cleaner which I don't really understand. I got it for people that warn me they are sensitive to chemical cleaners.

3. Thanks expdetailing thanked for this post
    Likes expdetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Ultima Interior Shampoo also seems very mild, but works great.

5. Thanks expdetailing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There are products, such as EcoTouch’s;
    CG’s EcoSmart...just to name a few...
    that should not be toxic.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

3D Orange 88 degreaser....organic, made from citrus oils. Was recommended by a member of the forum who, like you could not tolerate harsh chemicals. I use it diluted 10:1 or 4:1 depending what I am using it for. Pleasant smell and works great. My wife has used it around the house for cleaning certain things. I also use it when I give my outdoor grill a good cleaning. Great product and good value from AG store, especially if you buy the gallon.

8. Thanks expdetailing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You just have to be careful around plastics with di-limonene. it doesn't play well with some of them.

It's a great cleaner though. Nothing I have works as well cleaning AIO from polishing pads.

I know a lot of chem companies use small amounts added as a booster to their cleaning products. You might try adding some to a rinseless to clean interiors.

I like adding Opti Power Clean @1:10 to diluted down Opticlean for interiors. Doesn't seem too toxic to me, but cleans very well.

10. Thanks expdetailing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You know, another thing to consider is your method of application. With you say you're getting headaches, are you spraying these chems? You might consider using towels in a bucket (ala, Gary Dean method). I think it actually works better/faster in a lot of cases than using a spray bottle. On bigger areas (dashes, doors, vinyl seats), I think you get a better clean.

12. Thanks expdetailing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    You know, another thing to consider is your method of application. With you say you're getting headaches, are you spraying these chems? You might consider using towels in a bucket (ala, Gary Dean method). I think it actually works better/faster in a lot of cases than using a spray bottle. On bigger areas (dashes, doors, vinyl seats), I think you get a better clean.
    Yes, most often, I am spraying the product, and I am usually inside the vehicle doing an interior, or outside doing the tires & rims. I do like your suggestion of a wash bucket and a rag idea though. I have used this method, but it's usually reserved for lightly contaminated interiors.
    I know there are some really great cleaners out there that are not too harsh. As I type this, Chemical Guys Nonsense, which is a concentrate, odorless powerful cleaner is one that comes to mind.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Ill second the Eco Touch products. Chemical guys makes a no scent APC called nonsense that is a possibility.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels