autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: In Search of a Good Portable Tire Inflator: HELP!!

Quote Originally Posted by RocketGirl85 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I was not sure where to direct this question. However, I am all for being as self-sufficient as possible on the road. I am in search of a portable tire inflator, so that heaven forbid if I experience a flat or low tire pressure, I can whip it out, inflate my tires and be on my way. Yesterday, a family member bought me a Hyper Tough digital tire inflator from Walmart, but I wasn't impressed. I went on YouTube to see someone else use it, but it is extremely loud. I have been searching for a better product but no such luck.

What I am looking for:

1. An inflator that isn't too loud.
    2. In terms of power, I would prefer one that uses a regular outlet. The Hyper Tough inflator I have uses the 12V cigarette light in my car for power, which I do not like. If it is something that I can charge in my house and use cordless near my car, that would be great.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

There will be very few with both 110v and 12v. I use a Slime 12v that has been good and have seen others use the Ryobi mentioned with good results at autocross events. 110v won't do you any good for being self sufficient on the road. Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used my Ryobi 18v inflator a few times, and so far, so good. They make two very similar models - one is high speed + low pressure, for toys and inflatable pools and such. The other is low speed + high pressure for tires. Just make sure you grab the right one.

It was an easy choice for me, since I already had the trimmer and a drill - the trimmer came with a battery, and the drill came with 2. So I have three batteries to pass around between the tools - works for me.

IMO, you might as well buy a tool that comes with one or more batteries rather than spending the money on a battery by itself. Better value that way, especially if there's a sale.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Milwaukee 12 volt. compliments my other tools. I like the option to set a psi and the infiltator will run and automatically stop when it reaches it that psi

5. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledger64 View Post
    I have the Milwaukee 12 volt. compliments my other tools. I like the option to set a psi and the infiltator will run and automatically stop when it reaches it that psi
    I use mine to check our tires after I wash our cars. Easy to use for a senior Geek.

Post Thanks / Like

Plus one more vote for the Milwaukee, especially if you're looking to add tools around the house. I've got both M12 and M18 tools that have been awesome performers. For most of your around-the-house drilling needs, a little M12 drill would be more than enough.

The M12 inflator works great. Average noise level for this style of tool, as mentioned the auto-set pressure function works great. Pretty speedy, even topping up SUV tires.

If you just want a compact in case of emergency pump, I had a $20 antigravity batteries air pump that gets the job done. Noisier than the Milwaukee, but it takes up virtually no space in your car. It also has a power cable you can plug into your cigarette lighter and reach any of your tires so you don't need to worry about a battery. If you get one of their jump packs, you can plug directly into that and skip the long cable.

Post Thanks / Like

My all time favorite is my Powertank, but takes a lot of space. I've had both the Ryobi and the Milwaukee, and now have a Milwaukee Inflator in both vehicles. If you're already using Milwaukee 12V tools then that's an easy decision.

9. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazon.com: Q Industries MF-1035 Inflator, 12 Volt Portable Air Compressor for Car Tires and Sport Balls, MF1035 by MasterFlow: Automotive

I've been using a Master Flow for 10 years. Have to plug it into the 12V cigarette lighter but has never let me down. Will probably look into a battery powered one once it goes.
    Home Detailer with a Shelf Full of Stuff I've Only Used Once

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12