autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Average Joe Exterior Maintenance

Outside of proper car wash technique, what would you recommend to the average Joe for protecting his paint.

1. He doesn't have DA.
    2. May wash his vehicles 2-4 time a month
    3. He knows about proper washing (thanks to me) but will uses the car wash 50% of the time
    4. Hates waxing, but does it two times a year, on two of his family cars
    5. Both cars are daily drives with good paint. One car is in good condition and the other is 1 year old)
    6. Both cars are silver / gray and from Japanese automakers
    7. Would never consider claying his cars
    8. Won't spend money on professional detaiers
    9. Wouldn't be found on any car care site (I will direct him to Autogeek for products)

I was thinking Klasse AIO?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Average Joe Exterior Maintenance

Hydro 2 lite. Or hydrofoam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Thanks sdmartinrc thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

HydrO2, McKees Hydro Blue.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

A simple cleaner wax. Something that cleans the paint and leaves protection behind. I know Meguiar's has multiple cleaner waxes in both pastes and liquid.

I wonder how McKee's 360 works by hand. I've used HD Speed by hand in door jams, but longevity would be an issue when only applied biannually by your friend.

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I was thinking Klasse AIO. Not sure how that holds up on its' own though...

Post Thanks / Like

Regular washes and Hydro Blue - can't get easier than that. I know you mentioned you won't Clay bar the car but that is one thing I would try to talk you into at least once - before your first Hydro Blue application.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    A simple cleaner wax. Something that cleans the paint and leaves protection behind. I know Meguiar's has multiple cleaner waxes in both pastes and liquid.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a good detailer to take care of his cars. That's where you plug yourself!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I too was skeptical of claying till I tried it and was quite impressed with the smoothe surface it left. Klasse AIO twice a year should be fine. If he balks at that offer him a price. Don't offer a freebie. He sounds like a lazy person who doesn't want to put any effort into car care. That's all you can do for him.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RWC32 View Post
    That's why I was thinking Klasse AIO. Not sure how that holds up on its' own though...

Here's my take.... it's the same take I have on chemical cleaning only paint cleaners.... here you go...

For all the time, work and energy it takes to apply a non-abrasive cleaner/wax (Klasse AIO), you might as well apply an abrasive cleaner/wax and get more benefits like the removal of shallow swirls, scratches and water spots.

Klasse AIO is a chemical only cleaner/wax. Nothing wrong with that but to hand apply to an entire car will take hours. For all that time and work there are some great one-step cleaner/waxes that use safe abrasive technology that will do everything Klasse AIO will do and more.

Any consumer line cleaner/wax from Meguiar's or Mothers would be a good choice. 3D HD Speed, Menzerna 3-in-1, McKee's 37 360, Backfire Total Polish & Seal, Wolfgang Uber All in One, Optimum Poli-Seal, etc.

Just as important as using a quality product is HOW you apply a cleaner/wax by hand. Unlike a finishing or non-cleaning wax where you apply a THIN coat, a cleaner/wax is just the opposite, you apply a thick coat or a WET coat, that is use an ample amount of product and only tackle SMALL sections at one time.

The reason why is you need plenty of lubricants, chemical cleaners, abrasives on the surface working for you. A thin coat will do squat unless the paint is already in great shape and if the paint is already in great shape then you probably don't need a cleaner/wax.

Make sense?

Also, get some high quality microfiber applicator pads. Meguiar's offers them and so does SONAX.

For all the work it requires to apply to an entire car, and considering a person is going to do this more than once, a simple machine like the Griot's 6" DA is a good investment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast