autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Average Joe Exterior Maintenance

The advice I gave to a guy was to take a piece of masking tape and pick a direction (clockwise /counter clockwise). There's six points on the car: R/L under hood and trunk and both door jambs. At least once a month go as far as you choose with a cleaner wax/sealant (I think I told him to use Optimum Poliseal) and move the tape. Wipe down the rest with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer. Oh, and I had him get a Polishing Pal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    HydrO2, McKees Hydro Blue.
    I have to agree with this from how the guy sounds. I once used mothers paste cleaner wax by hand and it almost ruined me from ever waxing a car again. Then i stumbled on to Autogeek (i wasnt afraid of spending a bit of money to make life easier) after i bought my Ram and now enjoy the paint correction/lsp process.

jesse
    16 Ram Laramie diesel. The Daily
    08 GMC RCSB 2wd 4.8/4l80e with an eBay turbo. Street driven and built and tuned by me.
    Best so far of 7.251 @ 97.44 mph in the 1/8th. (675ish hp)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys

This is my neighbor, who sees me busting my ass, and likes my results, but doesn't want to put in the effort. He simply wants to protect his investment with as little time and money as possible. He doesn't need "show room" results as he calls it. He just wants a decent shine and some protection from the elements. I'm not going to do it for him, as I am not in the business and he's cheap. LOL He's a good guy, an "Average Joe", who want to spend time with his family and not his car. Plus he brings me beer!!!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RWC32 View Post

Thanks guys

This is my neighbor, who sees me busting my ass, and likes my results, but doesn't want to put in the effort. He simply wants to protect his investment with as little time and money as possible. He doesn't need "show room" results as he calls it. He just wants a decent shine and some protection from the elements. I'm not going to do it for him, as I am not in the business and he's cheap. LOL He's a good guy, an "Average Joe", who want to spend time with his family and not his car. Plus he brings me beer!!!

Lots of people like you describe...

When I detailed this old 2-door Dodge,

Review: - LC HDO Foam Pads - Makita PO5000C - Supercharged Dodge Yellow Jacket

While I appreciated having the car for the "cool factor" to showcase some cool products, I also asked the owner to come lend a hand with the work if he could carve out some time. To his credit he did carve out some time and came and helped me out.

I gave him pre-inspected microfiber towels, as explained in this article,

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

Then as I did the machine work he removed residues, starting with the glass cleaner residue as a clay lube for the SONAX Claydisc, up to the polishing step when he had to cut out. As a part of or time spent together I asked him some questions as he told me he had a background in car detailing for a dealership. As he talked, I could gauge his experience and I could tell from our conversation there were a lot of new tools, pads and products that had been introduced since he detailed cars.

Point being, by letting him help me detail his own car, I was able to share with him some new products, how to techniques and general car detailing information. I could tell he was interested and paying attention. Most of all, I think he had a new found appreciation for the work and knowledge required to detail cars the correct way. The last thing a person would want it to attempt to detail a car like this,

And screw it up.

I'm the last person to help someone that doesn't care or appreciate the craft or car detailing, I've learned it's a waste of my time and theirs.

I'm a huge fan of flaming a spark and watch it grow into a fire.

The key is being able to know or judge which is which, that is which is a time-waster and which is spark.

I'd say your neighbor has a good neigher, (you). Taking the time to post a thread on our forum to help him out was more than most people will do. Heck I get so many e-mails from people asking me for help and I turn their e-mails into threads on this forum for them because I don't answer questions via e-mail any longer, it's simply not a good leverage of my typing time. When I send these people the link to the thread I created for them and my answers to their questions I also include the link to join the forum where they can then INTERACT with me and everyone else here and the majority of these people never join. Proving to me.... they only care about their time... they don't care about my time and thus I am vindicated to take their e-mail questions to the forum where at least theres's some enduring benefit for the time I invest into these people.

Chances are good you've judged him fairly, but maybe sometime in the future if it works out, let him help you detail your car and in so doing you'll show him what's involved and fan his tiny spark into a tiny flame. And hey... he brings you beer!

Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax, this one,

This would be a good product for him. It's pretty much bubba-proof as long as he doesn't apply it to pebble textured black plastic trim. Show him how to apply to a small section at a time and "work" the product. About the size of a microfiber towel, 16" x 16" squarish. Then when moving onto a new section, overlap into the previous section a little.

Do half the hood on his car, the driver's side half. Then let him finish the other side. If he only does the three horizontal panels, hood, roof and trunk lid his car will look new and also wash and dry faster.

Then stick a fork in this project and call it done.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike, I'll give that a try.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Iron-x.
    2. Hydro blue.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RWC32 View Post
    Outside of proper car wash technique, what would you recommend to the average Joe for protecting his paint.

1. He doesn't have DA.
    2. May wash his vehicles 2-4 time a month
    3. He knows about proper washing (thanks to me) but will uses the car wash 50% of the time
    4. Hates waxing, but does it two times a year, on two of his family cars
    5. Both cars are daily drives with good paint. One car is in good condition and the other is 1 year old)
    6. Both cars are silver / gray and from Japanese automakers
    7. Would never consider claying his cars
    8. Won't spend money on professional detaiers
    9. Wouldn't be found on any car care site (I will direct him to Autogeek for products)

I was thinking Klasse AIO?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Since he doesn't want to clay, I would talk him into using a product like Iron-X to at least do a chemical decontamination at least twice per year.
    And since he 'hates waxing', I'd recommend he follow up the Iron X with an easy to apply finish/sealant like Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish 2-3 per year. Bonus is that UFF can be found anywhere and is affordable. ($12 for probably 2-3 years worth for both cars)
    I'd then advise him to follow that up with a spray wax like D156 ($23/Gal) or the OTC version UQW after every (other?) wash. Again, these Meguiars products are affordable and can be found anywhere from Walmart, AAP, Meijers, etc.. and are super easy to apply. Dare I say damn near foolproof. Not to mention they work great.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars Car Wash Plus +.
    This soap will obliterate most things stuck to the paint. If he won't clay the panels, this is the next best thing.

Suggest him to use a "Wash and Wax" type soap, for regular maintenance washes. It will add a little protection, that won't hurt.

Lastly, just add a spray wax to his routine during drying. A gallon of Meguiars D156 will go a long way, where he won't need to traditionally wax, if he squirts this on after every wash. Primo Hydro Max, Rupes P808, or Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer if he wants something more stout.

Otherwise, let it ride. If he gets a wild hair and wants to get detailed, or wants to get help - he knows who to talk to (you).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12