autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Doing a red car tomorrow what will show better? Speed or Megs UP and Opti Seal

Hey, i have a red Camaro and am looking for what will give the best shine.

I have been using mostly HD Speed as it works well in sun and corrects pretty well for an AIO.

I also just got a fresh bottle of opti seal in the mail. So, would Megs ultimate polish followed by Opti Seal and maybe a spray wax on top of the OS give better end results than the speed? The paint is in great shape as the car lives in a sealed container unless being driven. The only correction needed is some slight scuffs from having a car cover on it for a season before it went into its container.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doing a red car tomorrow what will show better? Speed or Megs UP and Opti Seal

Only your test spot[s] will provide the true answer for you... I did a black Mercedes a couple of weeks ago and I tested Megs D151 vs. Megs Ultimate Polish. I ended up going with D151 because the UP seemed to leave a slight haze/holograms on that paint.

Also, just my opinion, but I wouldn't top whatever lsp you lay down with spray wax as a topper.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doing a red car tomorrow what will show better? Speed or Megs UP and Opti Seal

It truly depends on your definition of better. Do you want a candy look to your car or a deep look to the paint? Speed is a great AIO that will give you a great finish and protection. Opti seal is better as a drying aid than as the pure LSP. I would suggest a good carnauba wax ontop if Speed since nothing looks better on red than carnauba wax. A spray wax is not an effective topper since your Opti seal will already be a spray wax in effect when you use it as a drying aid.

Eldorado is quite correct, do the test spots and see what works better because it'll depend on what you are aiming for. Use one on each half on the top if your trunk, see what you like more or see if you night need more correction, etc etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    Use one on each half on the top if your trunk, see what you like more or see if you night need more correction, etc etc.
    Yup, that's exactly where I usually like to do my test spots.. Here we see what D151 was able to do. Ultimate Polish was next on the right side, but didn't finish as good as the D151 on that particular paint.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the help, maybe i will hold off on trying the Megs UP and test on my own car and see what it comes out like. I will give the speed plus a real coat of wax on top and post some pics after as i have never been disapoined yet with speeds finish and look forward to seeing it with an extra bit of wax on top of it.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO Speed finishes better but it's one of a million opinions. I use speed for it's correction ability and ease of removal. My go-to top coat over it for longevity is Collinite 476. Otherwise, I coat all my customer cars now.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Mike Phillips

I'd say the results will be about the same if the paint is already in fairly good condition.

If the paint was in horrible condition I would give the edge to Speed.

Post Thanks / Like

I was gonna say what Mike said. The car is in good enough condition the correction is not a factor here. My choice to start would probably be the pure polish, remove polish oils, add an LSP probably a wax instead of the Opti-seal...but I do like OS as an LSP and you could always just put your wax over it when it has time to "cure" maybe an hour or two
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

HD Speed and topped with HD Poxy for added bling and protection.

What's the old saying, a picture is worth a thousand words

The entire washing and polishing and lsp process was about 4 hours on this Red Camaro.

2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I just used Speed and Poxy on my night blue VW. Couldnt have been easier. I then topped it with Megs UFF (so easy to use). Speed and Poxy looked really great, and I was surprised that UFF actually seemed to be the icing on the cake. It added a little something. Cant put my finger on it, but both gloss and depth were amped up a bit.