autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polisher/polishes/Pad combinations

Hello everyone this my first thread here at AG
    I'm working on becoming professional detailer and would love any advice any veteran detailer may have for me

I'm going to order couple polishers which are the following
    Flex3401
    GG21
    LHR15
    GG6 with 3 inch backing plate

If anyone could give me suggestion on
    Any AIO,Compunds,polishes, sealants/waxes
    There is so many to choose from and i want make sure I get my money worth.
    Also any pads that work best with the machines from experiences everyone had would really help me out .

Thank you everyone and I look forward to being part of this forum

-Edi

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polisher/polishes/Pad combinations

You don't need a G21 and an LHR 15, you can put a 5" bp on the G21

The GG6 with a 3" backing plate is rough, it's a rattle trap. It's not balanced for that set up.

Get a dedicated small polisher like the Rupes Mini, I love mine. I've done a side by side comparison between those two set ups.

Order this book:

How to Start a Home-based Car Detailing Business, car detailing book, best auto detailing books

And if you want to make this your primary profession invest in Mike's Class. Think of it as an investment in your future and the profession.

car detailing class, how to detail a car instructional class, mike phillips detailing class, best detailing classes for detailing
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    You don't need a G21 and an LHR 15, you can put a 5" bp on the G21

The GG6 with a 3" backing plate is rough, it's a rattle trap. It's not balanced for that set up.

Get a dedicated small polisher like the Rupes Mini, I love mine. I've done a side by side comparison between those two set ups.

Order this book:

How to Start a Home-based Car Detailing Business, car detailing book, best auto detailing books

And if you want to make this your primary profession invest in Mike's Class. Think of it as an investment in your future and the profession.

car detailing class, how to detail a car instructional class, mike phillips detailing class, best detailing classes for detailing
    I'm going check that book out
    And the reason why I wanted get GG21
    Was for its orbit 21mm
    And I really just want get hands on experience with different machines
    The mini was my first choice but it's double the price of the GG6

Post Thanks / Like

Flex with LC Force hybrid pads works well with Megs M101 and M205. Get 4 3/8" backing plate for Flex to run 5.5 and 6.5" Force pads.

Megs D300 w their microfiber cutting discs work well with 5" backing plate on Rupes. Rupees yellow pad us an all around winner. Menzerna Fg400 and 3500 are pretty versatile as well.

Menz 2400 can be a nice 9ne-step ad well. Have one stepped a few times with Sonax Perfect Finish on both Flex with LC Force white/orange and Rupes w rupes yellow pad.

As mentioned, GG6 w 3" plate ain't fun. Rupes Mini is way to go for 3/4" pad needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO. IMO your budget determines what you want to get. If I had to do it all over again and save lots of money...I would look into th GG 6" for budget starts and the Flex 3401 for a budget with more $$. As for the products. Jescar has a great combo, Menzerna, McGuiar's, Wolfgang, and a few others. What you will gain is knowledge! I would get one of Mike Phillips how to books as it will guide you on the products you MIGHT use. How to Detail type books...

Good luck on your adventures with AGO and WELCOME too!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Flex with LC Force hybrid pads works well with Megs M101 and M205. Get 4 3/8" backing plate for Flex to run 5.5 and 6.5" Force pads.

Megs D300 w their microfiber cutting discs work well with 5" backing plate on Rupes. Rupees yellow pad us an all around winner. Menzerna Fg400 and 3500 are pretty versatile as well.

Menz 2400 can be a nice 9ne-step ad well. Have one stepped a few times with Sonax Perfect Finish on both Flex with LC Force white/orange and Rupes w rupes yellow pad.

As mentioned, GG6 w 3" plate ain't fun. Rupes Mini is way to go for 3/4" pad needs.
    Thanks!
    Hmm ? Have you had any experience with GG3? The reason I was going GG6 was for its power but I wasn't really sure how smoothed it runs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Edi25 View Post
    I'm going check that book out
    And the reason why I wanted get GG21
    Was for its orbit 21mm
    And I really just want get hands on experience with different machines
    The mini was my first choice but it's double the price of the GG6

And the Mini is three times the machine of the GG6, it's a dedciated tool for small areas. The GG6 after 5 minutes with a 3" bp will have your entire arm numb, not too mention possible carpal tunnel syndrome issues over time. My dad always tought me to use the right tool for the job.

If you are really serious about making this your full time profession the best advice I can give you is attend Mike's class coming up in September. That would be money well invested. Buying a bunch of tools, products, pads etc is an investment you can make later on. You have to learn how to use them first.

That's where his class comes in.

Any way, welcome to the forum. They're tons of threads here with pad combos, machines, products etc. with many of the answers to the questions you are asking. Mike has hundreds of informative posts with videos here. Google autogeek and the subject.

Enjoy the journey.

PS

I have every tool you mentioned except for the Flex, so my input is based upon first hand experience with them. I also have the Rupes Mini and the Rupes Duetto.

The GG3 is basically a wax spreader, not much correction power.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Are the comments for the GG6 with a standard 3" backing plate, or Griot's 3" HD backing plate which was made for the GG6?

Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Edi25 View Post
    Thanks!
    Hmm ? Have you had any experience with GG3? The reason I was going GG6 was for its power but I wasn't really sure how smoothed it runs

I had the GG3 I GAVE it away to an AGO member. So I hope that gives you an idea of how great (NOT) that DA was. It is underpowered LOUD and was a great paperweight!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend....

GG6- paired with the 5 inch griot's backing plate (for applying sealants and for polishing small cars where a larger stroke isn't preferred)

Harbor Freight DA- I use the newly released 3 inch griot's heavy duty backing plate (3 inch boss microfiber pads). This new backing plate makes all of the difference when it comes to reducing vibration.

Rupes 15 MK2 with Washer Modification- This is my workhorse. I never have to go above speed 4.5 and due to the nature of the uro-tec pads even though the polisher has a 5 inch backing plate, the large stroke of the machine and the tapered design of the pads makes it nearly equivalent` to working with a 6.5" pad. There are never situations where I wish I had the boss 21 or Rupes 21 and a larger throw or larger pad. The Rupes 15 MKII is the best of all worlds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast