autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Faded trim, question about ceramic coating

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    You may want to restore it with Solution finish

Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer, trim restorer, black plastic restorer

The seal it in with a trim sealant like this one

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, rubber trim sealant, rubber protectant, exterior trim products, metal sealer

Or coat it with something like this for longer longevity.

Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer, rubber trim sealant, trim restorers, gtech c4

I found GTechniq to be easier to work with than DLUX. The key to using Dlux is super thin coats, work small sections and do not keep wiping over especially when it starts to flash. Both work well.

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to restore it with Solution finish

Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer, trim restorer, black plastic restorer

The seal it in with a trim sealant like this one

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, rubber trim sealant, rubber protectant, exterior trim products, metal sealer

Or coat it with something like this for longer longevity.

Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer, rubber trim sealant, trim restorers, gtech c4

I found GTechniq to be easier to work with than DLUX. Both work well.
    I would go with the C4.

It works really well and so far (2 years almost) still looks like new on windsheild moulding.

Wurth makes a Trim Coating (really a paint) that is self etching and it resores to factory black.

Used the Wurth on the plastic inner fenders and after 1 year still look like new (this is a very caustic enviroment for a finish but not exposed to UV, which causes the fading).
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I would go with the C4.

It works really well and so far (2 years almost) still looks like new on windsheild moulding.

Wurth makes a Trim Coating (really a paint) that is self etching and it resores to factory black.

Used the Wurth on the plastic inner fenders and after 1 year still look like new (this is a very caustic enviroment for a finish but not exposed to UV, which causes the fading).
    I agree with you on C4. Working great for me on the front and rear window trim of my grand prix as well just as you stated. Also have it on all the trim of my 2002 Camaro.

I should try this wurth stuff on the fenders of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    You will want to clean it thoroughly before applying the trim coating. DLUX or Gtechniq C4 will certainly darken the trim and keep it dark for a long time, however it will not be permanent. If your looking for a permanent solution you could do what I did with a Tahoe we used to own. I picked up Krylon plastic paint in a satin black finish and painted all the trim black (previously a gray color).
    Looks great Kevin. How is the paint holding up?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you on C4. Working great for me on the front and rear window trim of my grand prix as well just as you stated. Also have it on all the trim of my 2002 Camaro.

I should try this wurth stuff on the fenders of mine.

Looks great Kevin. How is the paint holding up?
    It held up great for the year I had the vehicle after doing this. I ended up selling this vehicle then so I am not sure how it held up after this, however we did end up doing the same thing with my wife's Traverse LTZ that we ended up with. I don't know why GM always put grayish trim on black vehicles, it looks terrible. This has been painted for over a year also and I never do anything to it other then wash it.

Here is a comparison to what it did look like before (random photo showing gray trim on bottom)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12