autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Best paint coating kit?

Hi everyone,
    I did a search and read through as many posts as I could, and have an idea of what is the best paint coating kit for me, but I would like opinions if I could get some.
    I will be coating a small SUV (Kia Sportage) that is my wife's daily driver. The paint is light metallic blue color, in decent shape. I will be decontaminating the paint with a medium nano scrub pad with my PC DA. From there is where I would like any direction as to what brand/kit to use.
    1. Ease of use is a priority (I have low/medium detailing skills).
    2. Money isn't a huge factor, but based on my zero paint coating experience, see #1
    3. I have another car (same model) that I would also like to coat, so a kit that could coat 2-3 cars would be preferable

Any direction would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!!

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, it seemed the most relevant

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best paint coating kit?

Planning on polishing after decontaminating? It would be a good idea to remove any road film and marring from the nanoskin pad.

I would go with the Pinnacle Black Label paint coating. It's foolproof and you will have more than enough product to use on more than one vehicle.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Hi ekennett,
    yes I plan on polishing after decontaminating.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest glosscoat by optimum. As long as you have good sources of light, it's easy to use.

Post Thanks / Like

I would recomend the McKee's 37 coating. It's very easy to apply, inexpensive, and like the PBL product already mentioned, comes in a bottle with enough product to do several vehicles. Unless I'm mistaken, the PBL amd McKee's coatings might be the only ones packaged to do multiple vehicles. All of the others seem to have only enough to do one average sized car.

As ekennett already brought up, polishing/correcting really needs to be done. Also, after correcting you'll need to use a coating prep product to ensure the paint is clean and free of any polishing residue which would keep the coating from bonding to the surface.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I would recomend the McKee's 37 coating. It's very easy to apply, inexpensive, and like the PBL product already mentioned, comes in a bottle with enough product to do several vehicles. Unless I'm mistaken, the PBL amd McKee's coatings might be the only ones packaged to do multiple vehicles. All of the others seem to have only enough to do one average sized car.

As ekennett already brought up, polishing/correcting really needs to be done. Also, after correcting you'll need to use a coating prep product to ensure the paint is clean and free of any polishing residue which would keep the coating from bonding to the surface.
    This is the kit I looked at based on my needs and what it provided in the kit. If I prep/apply it incorrectly I can add it to experience. The only thing this kit doesn't include is the coating prep unless the included coating prep polish accomplishes that (removing any polishing residue which would keep the coating from bonding to the surface)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    so based on what the McKee's kit includes, I should:
    1. decontaminate (medium nano scrub pad)
    2. correct with polish (I usally use Pinnacle #2 swirl remover)
    3. apply McKee's coating prep polish? This will ensure paint is clean and prepare surface for coating bonding

Thank you everyone for replying

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Samson77 View Post
    so based on what the McKee's kit includes, I should:
    1. decontaminate (medium nano scrub pad)
    2. correct with polish (I usally use Pinnacle #2 swirl remover)
    3. apply McKee's coating prep polish? This will ensure paint is clean and prepare surface for coating bonding

Thank you everyone for replying
    Pretty much that's it. Can substitute something like Gyeon Prep or Wolfgang Perfect Finish Paint Prep in place of Prep Polish if you wanna save some time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Pretty much that's it. Can substitute something like Gyeon Prep or Wolfgang Perfect Finish Paint Prep in place of Prep Polish if you wanna save some time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    Agree. After polishing, a spray prep product is probably a better solution since the polish has deep cleaned the paint. Once correction is done, you'd only trying to get rid of polish residue/oils. The liquid spray products will do just fine.

In addition to the Wolfgang product, Nick from McKee's 37 has mentioned the Blackfire Coating Prep product will work. Also, if you want to keep in all in the McKee's 37 "family", their new N-914 product specifically mentions a ratio for coating prep.

I've used the Blackfire product, simply because I already had a bottle in my garage. If I was to start from scratch, I'd probably go with 914 simply because it's from the same product line and can also be used for more than just a paint prep.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog