autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question HELP! Griots Garage BOSS creams & Lake Country pads

I was wondering what advice some of you with more experience may have with the issue I am running into with my new products.

I purchased the full line of Griot's Garage BOSS creams to try out some new product for my Honda S2000. The finish on my S2000 has always been extremely well cared for but after 11 years of ownership it has developed some light spider swirls (really only visible in extreme sunlight or gas station lights at night.) The condition of my paint is 1000x better than the other 3-4 vehicles I have polished out before so I figured something with extreme abrasiveness wasn't really needed. I have only had experience with M101/M102, random retail store polishes, and some zaino products prior.

Products available for use:
    Griots Garage 6" orbital w/ optional 5 inch backing plate
    Porter Cable 5" DA
    Chemical Guys OG clay
    Griots Garage BOSS Creams (Fast Correcting Cream, Correcting Cream, Perfecting Cream, Finishing Sealant)
    Lake Country Flat 5.5" Pads (Yellow, Orange, White, Black, Blue)

Fast forward:::
    - Washed & clay barred the car. Chemical Guys clay was marring the paint, I didn't notice immediately so I switched back over to an old clay I had laying around once I catched it. (That was depressing, how bad it made my good looking paint look!)
    - Did a few test sections with the new products, starting with the perfecting cream/white pad ::: seemed like it wasn't cutting enough
    - Tried the Perfecting cream/orange pad ::: still wasn't to my liking
    - Jumped to the Fast Correcting Cream/white pad ::: looked really good under artificial lighting as it was night time
    - Pulled it outside in the morning to check work. It was overcast and occasionally blasts of light would come through, seemed to look great.
    - Completed the trunk and hardtop panels with 6 section passes
    - Pulled it out in the sunlight to check work (still cloudy here and there but you can see results in video) Very unsatisfied with result.

I am unsure if the "halogram" type effect I am seeing is remnants of the clay bar situation OR could this be the result of using the most aggressive polish of the bunch? I feel like it isn't clay bar damage because of the way the light is reflecting it but then again I haven't had enough detailing experience to be positive. I rather not do another step and think it looks great just to pull it out on a sunny day and be a depressed man for a month.

Do you think that I would see a perfect finish if I went forward with the perfecting cream/white pad or do I need to start from square one again (maybe with a yellow or orange pad)? It is very difficult to check my work with this paint compared to the dark/solid paints I've done in the past. The metallics make checking progress with a led flash light or even halogen work lights very strenuous, almost impossible. Even using the sun I was mistaken until i walked by "just right."

Video of clay bar marring:

https://youtu.be/XTUOxsBJ6Gk

Video of hardtop hologram effect (watch below the clouds / towards the bottom of the video to see):

https://youtu.be/pzmb40wRY-Y

Any help/advice at all would be greatly appreciated! Going to try to proceed tomorrow a.m.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HELP! Griots Garage BOSS creams & Lake Country pads

Go over it with the perfecting cream and a polishing pad. I couldn't see much in the video, but that aggressive a combination will leave micro marring/haze. The perfecting cream and polishing pad should clean it right up.

If for some reason that doesn't do it you'll want to try a finishing polish. Honda paint usually isn't real soft so I'm pretty sure the first step will take care of it.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Honda has been known to have soft paint. Try following up with a polish and either a finishing pad or polishing pad to see if that fixes your issues.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

For the remainder of the vehicle, I wonder if it would be best just to skip the FCC and do the "BOSS Correcting Cream" for my initial polish. The car didn't have a crazy amount of swirls or issues (until the clay bar), but enough to bother a car enthusiast like me.

Post Thanks / Like

try using the correcting cream with the white pad and if that isn't enough, step up to an orange pad and see where that gets you...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    try using the correcting cream with the white pad and if that isn't enough, step up to an orange pad and see where that gets you...
    Whoops, that's what I meant "Correcting Cream" not polishing cream.

Thanks for all of the advice fellas! I'm sure I am not as deeply troubled as initially thought, lack of free time to complete such tasks makes people a little :crazy:

Post Thanks / Like

You need to do a test section to see what makes you happy in the end so you don't waste any time from here out. The FCC finishes very well for a aggressive compound but I have not used it with the pads you have either I use the boss pads. If it's just compound haze the perfecting cream should put it to a high gloss with minimal effort.

Post Thanks / Like

you may already know this but i'll mention it anyway (it can benefit someone else), remember to work slow (with enough pressure) so that pad/polish/compound can do the work. here's a great video that will help some...

Super Member coles_paint_correction's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

In all honestly it looks more like when you are wiping it with a towel of some kind,
    not sure what you are using to wipe but make sure it's not scratching or when you do it has dirt.
    You should be ok with even the orange/yellow pad with either correcting cream/fast cut if needed and see how that looks after wiping.
    At least that's what i've done and looks really similar to what you are doing with.

Post Thanks / Like

Hondas paint and clear coat is so soft! Go with the AIO finishing sealant and test it with the yellow pad. If you need more correction go with a more aggressive pad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast