autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

too old NuFinish?

I applied NuFinish to my 2008 black Saturn Aura that last had Turtle Wax Ice applied 2-3 years ago. The NuFinish produced lots of whiteish swirls which will not buff out with cloth rubbing and which are almost as bad where I tried a 2nd go with the NuFinish. Car sits on driveway in central Texas. The NuFinish is at least 2 years old and I did shake it very well before using. Auto parts guy sold me Meguires clay bar kit but I have not tried it yet. What do you guys think?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: too old NuFinish?

What did you apply it with? What did you remove it with? How long did you leave it on before removal?

Apc wash
    Clay
    Cleaner wax/sealant

Hope and faith would help

Post Thanks / Like

First, welcome to the forum!

Ok...a couple of things...the first is "waxing" your black car only every 2-3 years in the Texas sun is probably not a recipe for good results.

Number two, is you likely used WAY too much NuFinish...using too much product is the #1 newbie problem.

The clay bar may take the residue off...what was the condition of the paint before you started? Was it cloudy? What made you decide to "NuFinish" it?

More importantly, what are your goals? Are you trying to restore the finish? Do you intend to have a more frequent maintenance schedule? Or do you typically just wax every 2-3 years and you simply ran into trouble this time? I'm just asking because there's a full range from just trying to clean up the residue to going crazy and...well, doing what some of on this forum do.

Last, do you have any pictures?

Post Thanks / Like

I would try to remove it with a little bit of the same product. Work it over an area and immediately wipe it away

Post Thanks / Like

I was first thinking you applied it to heavy, but I have seen a lot of older Saturns with failing clear coat. Maybe the surface is badly oxidized and holding on to it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    First, welcome to the forum!

Ok...a couple of things...the first is "waxing" your black car only every 2-3 years in the Texas sun is probably not a recipe for good results.

Number two, is you likely used WAY too much NuFinish...using too much product is the #1 newbie problem.

The clay bar may take the residue off...what was the condition of the paint before you started? Was it cloudy? What made you decide to "NuFinish" it?

More importantly, what are your goals? Are you trying to restore the finish? Do you intend to have a more frequent maintenance schedule? Or do you typically just wax every 2-3 years and you simply ran into trouble this time? I'm just asking because there's a full range from just trying to clean up the residue to going crazy and...well, doing what some of on this forum do.

Last, do you have any pictures?
    Here's more info...
    1. Yes, I know that I waited too long (2 years) to apply more "wax". But I'm over 70 and have a bit of back trouble and I'm a bit lazy when it comes to "duties".
    2. I used only a small amount of NuFinish per little section. I have used this product before - on this car when it was fairly new and on other cars and have never before had any problem with it.
    I applied it exactly as per the NuFinish directions - clean damp cloth. Temperature was about 65 degrees
    I was a big NuFinish fan until this happened. I watched guys on youtube apply this product to even old cars and they used way more product than I do, and they hardly rubbed it in at all. I rubbed it in like I used to have to do with car waxes years ago.
    3. If I can fix this I won't keep 2 year intervals going forward. This was a 1-time lazy. Once a year would be good and NuFinish claims that is OK.
    4. I may try to post a picture later if I can get a pic that shows the swirls. The "waxed" area is shiney but the whiteish swirls are like part of the finish now so I assume I need to use the clay bar to get rid of the new NuFinish and whatever those swirls are within, and start over from scratch. So - is my container of NuFinish too old? Clay bar is the solution?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwr64 View Post
    Here's more info...
    1. Yes, I know that I waited too long (2 years) to apply more "wax". But I'm over 70 and have a bit of back trouble and I'm a bit lazy when it comes to "duties".
    2. I used only a small amount of NuFinish per little section. I have used this product before - on this car when it was fairly new and on other cars and have never before had any problem with it.
    I applied it exactly as per the NuFinish directions - clean damp cloth. Temperature was about 65 degrees
    I was a big NuFinish fan until this happened. I watched guys on youtube apply this product to even old cars and they used way more product than I do, and they hardly rubbed it in at all. I rubbed it in like I used to have to do with car waxes years ago.
    3. If I can fix this I won't keep 2 year intervals going forward. This was a 1-time lazy. Once a year would be good and NuFinish claims that is OK.
    4. I may try to post a picture later if I can get a pic that shows the swirls. The "waxed" area is shiney but the whiteish swirls are like part of the finish now so I assume I need to use the clay bar to get rid of the new NuFinish and whatever those swirls are within, and start over from scratch. So - is my container of NuFinish too old? Clay bar is the solution?
    Claying may help some, but a paint cleaner will do a better job. You might want to consider a dual action buffer..will save your back.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You are the first to mention a paint cleaner - even the auto parts people did not mention a paint cleaner.
    Would it harm the clear coat or paint?
    I don't know what a paint cleaner is and I don't know where to buy one.
    Can you reply with more info on what to buy and where?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwr64 View Post
    You are the first to mention a paint cleaner - even the auto parts people did not mention a paint cleaner.
    Would it harm the clear coat or paint?
    I don't know what a paint cleaner is and I don't know where to buy one.
    Can you reply with more info on what to buy and where?
    AG has several paint cleaners..Pinnacle being one of them. It's a chemical cleaner and made for clear coats.

Post Thanks / Like

CWR,
    Here is a link to the Pinnacle Cleaning Lotion that Rsurfer mentioned. There are also instruction on how to use it on that page.

With the back issues you've stated, I would second the recommendation of a Dual Action polisher (often referred to on the forums as a DA), if it's within your budget.

Personally, I suffer from positional vertigo, and if it weren't for my DA, I wouldn't be able to polish my car myself at all. I can say that even in the simple tasks like waxing, it makes an incredible difference.

Before you buy anything, I would advise spending some time reading the forums here. There is a tremendous amount of great advice, fantastic tutorials, as well as help to be had. Ask many questions, we all help each other. And welcome to AG!

Best,
    Jim
    "All persons living or dead, are purely coincidental."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast