autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

DLUX on headlights

I applied DLUX on the headlights of 2 vehicles last night in my garage. I waited 2minutes, then 5 minutes then 1 hour and could never lightly buff it because the MF seemed to stick to the headlight. Checked this morning and actually rubbed some of the DLUX off of one headlight. I know it's cooler weather here, it dropped down to the upper 50's during the night, but shouldn't it have cured by now? I tried re-applying it to the one I rubbed off and now it is streaky. The other 3 headlights look good but will leave a faint print if I touch it. What's up with that? I had sealant on the headlights so I used an APC to clean the headlights and then I did an IPA wipe down before applying the DLUX.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DLUX on headlights

I'm confused by this statement: "I waited 2minutes, then 5 minutes then 1 hour and could never lightly buff it because the MF seemed to stick to the headlight."

Should have been, apply, then wipe... let cure for 24 hours. Perhaps, temperature (cold) was your issue.
    When I coat something not in direct sunlight, I like to pull it out and let it sit in the sun for a while, or use halogen lights to cure...

Post Thanks / Like

Temp was definitely too low for anything to cure
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    I'm confused by this statement: "I waited 2minutes, then 5 minutes then 1 hour and could never lightly buff it because the MF seemed to stick to the headlight."

Should have been, apply, then wipe... let cure for 24 hours. Perhaps, temperature (cold) was your issue.
    When I coat something not in direct sunlight, I like to pull it out and let it sit in the sun for a while, or use halogen lights to cure...
    I waited 2 minutes and tried to wipe but it smeared. Then I tried it again at 5 minutes and then again after 1 hour and it continued to smear.

Now that it is warming up this morning it appears to be curing. Not sure how that one headlight is going to end up looking though. If I have to do it over can I just use some polish with my GG6 to remove it?

When you say apply and wipe the directions say wait 2 to 10 minutes depending on temp. And you lightly wipe, correct? Hardly any pressure when wiping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Directions

1.) Make sure the surface is cool and dry. (Do not work on hot surface.)
    2.) Clean the surface to remove oil film and wait until the surface is dry.
    3.) Wrap the blue sponge with a suede cloth. Pour a small amount of DLux onto the suede cloth and apply on the work surface. (Recommendation:
    1~2drops/ 10cm².)
    4.) Let cure 1~10 minutes at 30~10° C (86-50° F), respectively. >>>> I think they have their scale backwards... but it should be between 50 degrees & 86 degrees.
    Use a clean auto detailing cloth or suede microfiber to wipe it off gently, in a circle motion until no streaks are left behind.

Note: DLux takes 1~3 hours to cure. Do not drive the car during this time. The water repellency improves with more cure time. Complete cure with NO rain takes 24 hours. Any water marks created by rain must be wiped off during first 24 hours!

Don't know how cold your temps were... Perhaps you used too much? Yes, I don't wait the full minute.... I spread, it flashes, I wipe.

Only way to get a "redo" is to polish it off, wipe, IPA or Erasure (no APC required), then reapply. Do it while temps are between the recommended amount, probably towards the mid-to higher end of that spectrum.

Try a test spot on the lines before you do the whole thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I never saw it flash, temps were above 50 but humidity was high so maybe that was it. I also put it on plastic trim and wiping a few minutes afterwards was not a problem, not sure why the headlights were a problem if plastic wasn't.

Post Thanks / Like

There is no need to knock down Dlux if you don't over apply. Unlike a coating that may leave some overlapping high spots that require knocking down.

Post Thanks / Like

Why are members having a hard time applying dlux.Its cake to work with just sayin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Why are members having a hard time applying dlux.Its cake to work with just sayin.
    Over application is the main culprit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Over application is the main culprit.
    Need to read instructions or videos.Other than that love the stuff it's a great upsell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast