autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

need a paint gauge

hello

Need a cheap paint gauge bt suitable for detailing tasks... up to 50 can i get any ??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: need a paint gauge

Cheapest I'd buy is the high line brand for 150$
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

I never use a paint gauge even for sanding.Every paint is different in hardness and softness.yesterday I was working at a Bodyshop and the customer saw my truck that says scratch removal on the side.He had a 15 accord in dark grey which was keyed from the hood right fender 2 doors and quarter panel at west palm beach airport.It was pretty bad,he initially was there to get a estimate from the Bodyshop.1800.00 to repaint those areas,he came out and asked me if I could try to get them reduced so I set a appointment for sat.He left and for some odd reason he came back to the shop and asked the owner if I was around.as I was still there I felt uncomfortable from the owner of the shop.I said go down the street and I will meet you there and see if any progress could be made.On the side of the road in blistering heat I started with 600 grit with a eraser,taking my Ibrid and polished out the scratch on the rear quarter.was a big improvement but had 600 marring and I didn't think the paint could withstand any more heat.so I went over it with 1000 but I taped up the scratch with blue thin vinyl tape and polished around the scratch.looked way better and I'm saying dam,this paint is bulletproof.Today I went to his house in cooler temps and started the process again after 1000 went over it with 1200 took the Ibrid with menz compound and wala!.after 4 hrs of strategic work I saved the quarter 2 doors and fender.The rear door was left with a 1inch 3 footer which the bank won't care cause it's a leased car.on the rear door I used 500 grit cause the variation of the key mark left way deeper scratch.Now the hood is left and I know how much this paint can tolerate.Started with 600 with it wrapped around the eraser tip into the scratch and zero results,I told him if we burn through at least your left with the hood.500 grit very lightly and longer and bam went through didn't even have to polish to tell.So he gave me 350.00 and probably 500.00 to paint the hood.He was very satisfied and so was I ,and without the Ibrid surgical buffing this couldn't be done with a rotary being how severe it was this was all finger nail catching and was able to mend and melt the paint together to a barely noticeable scratch thanks Mike p for tips and rupes for a awesome machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gcleov View Post
    hello

Need a cheap paint gauge bt suitable for detailing tasks... up to 50 can i get any ??
    I was thinking the same thing, found some on Amz for 20$, worth the try ? Dunno

Post Thanks / Like

600 grit on factory Honda paint is not a idea. Way too risky! Even if successful, you've taken off more than the manufacture recommends; thereby voiding the paint warranty. On most factory Japanese cars, you really don't want to use anything less than 1000 grit. Ideally, 1500 is the lowest you want to go.

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    I never use a paint gauge even for sanding.Every paint is different in hardness and softness.yesterday I was working at a Bodyshop and the customer saw my truck that says scratch removal on the side.He had a 15 accord in dark grey which was keyed from the hood right fender 2 doors and quarter panel at west palm beach airport.It was pretty bad,he initially was there to get a estimate from the Bodyshop.1800.00 to repaint those areas,he came out and asked me if I could try to get them reduced so I set a appointment for sat.He left and for some odd reason he came back to the shop and asked the owner if I was around.as I was still there I felt uncomfortable from the owner of the shop.I said go down the street and I will meet you there and see if any progress could be made.On the side of the road in blistering heat I started with 600 grit with a eraser,taking my Ibrid and polished out the scratch on the rear quarter.was a big improvement but had 600 marring and I didn't think the paint could withstand any more heat.so I went over it with 1000 but I taped up the scratch with blue thin vinyl tape and polished around the scratch.looked way better and I'm saying dam,this paint is bulletproof.Today I went to his house in cooler temps and started the process again after 1000 went over it with 1200 took the Ibrid with menz compound and wala!.after 4 hrs of strategic work I saved the quarter 2 doors and fender.The rear door was left with a 1inch 3 footer which the bank won't care cause it's a leased car.on the rear door I used 500 grit cause the variation of the key mark left way deeper scratch.Now the hood is left and I know how much this paint can tolerate.Started with 600 with it wrapped around the eraser tip into the scratch and zero results,I told him if we burn through at least your left with the hood.500 grit very lightly and longer and bam went through didn't even have to polish to tell.So he gave me 350.00 and probably 500.00 to paint the hood.He was very satisfied and so was I ,and without the Ibrid surgical buffing this couldn't be done with a rotary being how severe it was this was all finger nail catching and was able to mend and melt the paint together to a barely noticeable scratch thanks Mike p for tips and rupes for a awesome machine.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I know that and he knows that.This was a win situation on bothsides,I made money and he saved money.He is getting rid of the car and is leased.