autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Multiple Layers of Cquartz? Waste?

So I was at an event last night where a guy was giving a demo and talking about Coatings, he talked about how some Coatings are designed to be a ONE layer coating, to where others are meant to be layered and then a final layer put on top. Cquartz/UK was mentioned as one of the ONE layer coatings, saying basically a waste of time to put on multiple coats. Are there any chemists in here than can describe a little more in detail why this would or would not be the case?

As it was explained to me, that within the one layer of cquartz, there is basically a bottom layer and a top layer and that's all that's needed. To where with others, I think it was Ceramic Pro, that you can put on multiple "bottom" layers, and then the final top layer. Am I making sense?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why Multiple Layers of Cquartz? Waste?

Sorry, I had to tabs open, meant to put this just in the 101 Section, mods please move.

Post Thanks / Like

The number of layers is based on the manufacturers recommendations to obtain the durability they claim. Some coatings can be layered. One layer of Kamakaze Myabi will give about 18 months, but put ISM over it and you can get up to 3 years. Modesta when used with the primer can go over 5 years. Hope that helps?

Post Thanks / Like

IMO:
    The same question goes, for
    when discussions regarding
    "layering/topping" with other
    types of LSPs also occur.

Regardless...

My first impulse is to answer
    the question by saying:
    'Yes...it could be a waste...
    depending on the party to
    which the question is asked'.

Am I right?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

There is a fella putting standards over UK and getting great looks from it. Not sure if it increases longevity or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Something to consider with durability. People here are pretty meticulous about their maintenance. Even so, our vehicles live in the real world and we can't protect them from everything, including the purse or shopping cart of a soccer mom at Target, the handlebars of the neighbor kids bike, random people leaning up against a car they don't own. I've found that over the course of 2-3 years, a car will develop enough defects that a discerning owner will want them removed, and in doing so, will remove the coating. Perhaps people here can stretch that to 4 or 5 years. The point is, for the average user who cares about how their car looks, I feel anything beyond 2-3 years has the potential to be a waste, and lifetime is asinine.

That said, there are a number of people that coat their cars, give them a very light polish every 1-2 years and then recoat. These folk are meticulous in their maintenance and probably aren't polishing off the whole coating prior to putting on a new layer. So in this instance, it absolutely makes sense to have a second layer, though it's not done at the same time as the original layer.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys. I just don't want to offer anything to customers if I don't feel its necessary and the science doesn't back it up, know what I mean?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, CQuartz products can be layered and it does help in both added gloss and durability. As a Finest installer, I must do a double coat in order for it to have a warranty from CarPro. I know some have done 3 coats (I did that to my mother's car), but generally 2 will ensure complete coverage and will add the benefits I mentioned.