autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Freshly polished and waxed Mustang but now with water spots , need advise

Hey Guys,
    I am new to this forum so I apologize if there is already a post out there about this. I recently color sanded, cut, polished and waxed 65 Mustang with base/clear paint. I used Griots 6" buffer with Meguiars 105 & orange pad, then Meguiars 205 & white pad and followed up with Mothers Carnauba wax. Car was driven and ended up getting rained on during the journey. So now I have water spots in places. I have tried using plain H2O and microfiber towel, then tried Mequiars quick detailer and microfiber towel and no success. Am I going to need to use the Griots buffer and M205 again to get the spots removed? any suggestions? I can't understand why the Mothers wax allowed water spots to occur in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Freshly polished and waxed Mustang but now with water spots , need advise

Well the water spots are simply the dried mineral residue left over from the rain water, so wax won't protect against that. In fact, even coatings it seems has issues with this. Depending on the temperature where you are, and the sunlight exposure, the spots can be rather baked on. You can try re-washing your car and seeing if that works for you. Going with the least aggressive method first, try using a claybar of some sort against the sections where the water spots are. If that doesn't do anything for you, then the best step might be to get a can of Mothers California Gold cleaner wax and apply it with the finessing pad. The cleaner wax should be the next step. If the claybar works for you, you'd have to re-wax the sections you went over. If the cleaner wax doesn't work, then the next step would be to try using a finessing pad and go over with 205 again. Now you're abrading off any mineral deposits on your paint, and is the most aggressive approach. Of course you'd want to re-apply wax after this step as well. If for some reason even this doesn't work, you're onto wet-sanding the spots off.

Edit: Before all of this, maybe try using some half vinegar half distilled water to try to remove the water spots or a product like Car Pro spotless waterspot remover or Optimum Mineral Deposit Remover. Sorry got ahead of myself..

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response. I never thought about the vinegar and water. I will have to try that next time. I had no access to cleaner wax so I hit it with some Meg 205 last night and that worked. She shines like a dream again.

Post Thanks / Like

No problem, it always depends on how long they've been baked on for and what type of waterspots. Mike Philips has a pretty nice article written just about waterspots and the different types.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cpdetail View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I am new to this forum so I apologize if there is already a post out there about this. I recently color sanded, cut, polished and waxed 65 Mustang with base/clear paint. I used Griots 6" buffer with Meguiars 105 & orange pad, then Meguiars 205 & white pad and followed up with Mothers Carnauba wax. Car was driven and ended up getting rained on during the journey. So now I have water spots in places. I have tried using plain H2O and microfiber towel, then tried Mequiars quick detailer and microfiber towel and no success. Am I going to need to use the Griots buffer and M205 again to get the spots removed? any suggestions? I can't understand why the Mothers wax allowed water spots to occur in the first place.
    Duragloss

Duragloss Water Spot Remover (WSR) #505
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL