autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tell me what you think...

I had a friend of mine detail my wife's new Volvo. Turned out AWESOME! So much so that I went out and bought his exact setup. (not saying he used it all on her car though)

Chemicals Guy Hex-Logic Buffing Pad (8 items, 7 pads and a pad cleaner)
    CG-Jetseal - 16oz
    CG-Scratch and Swirl Remover -16oz
    CG-Medium Duty Clay bar
    CG-Butter Wet Wax - 16oz
    CG-V38 Polish - 16oz
    CarPro Iron X - 1 liter

I ended up getting the GG 6" Polisher- He wanted me to get the TORQ 10FX Polisher but I found the GG polisher (new) for $110 (After a 30% coupon code) and couldn't pass it up. Now a little about myself, I worked at a detail shop/car wash (little local job) for many years during high school and a few years after, we never used a DA polisher so this will be my first go around. I have experience with the process of detailing a car just not with a DA or with using different buffing pads. My car is a 2012 model year that has never been clayed or even touched with any type of real product other then a wax a few times a year. however, I do take care of it but its BLACK Hopefully what I have will make my car look better than new again. Tell me what you guys think. Thanks again

On a side note- I purchased all the chemicals/pads (amazon) and the buffer (advanced auto parts) for less than $215 to my house.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tell me what you think...

You spent about $105 too much ($215-$110 GG). If you continue to detail cars and use different products you'll soon realize that Chemical Guys is all marketing hype with inferior performance to other products AG sells. CG has a few good products but don't let their big tittied girls and smooth talking dude doing their videos sway future decisions. The GG 6" DA will be a solid performer for you.
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

In before the Chem Guys Hate Club chimes in.

Overall, I've not used much if any of those products. I do use the Hex Logic pads and they do well for me. Others prefer flat pads. I do use their Blacklight product and love it. There are better products IMO but don't fret. Use what you have, enjoy the results and learn.

I'm sure you'll see see fantastic results as the great thing is with today's products, it's hard to get a bad combo and poor results. Most important thing is to go slow, work on technique and learning and have fun.

Looking forward to another black-beauty photo shoot
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

$215 with the polisher....But i like ???
    Last edited by ScottB; 11-20-2016 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Unfamily like comment on forum ; terms / comditions

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks man, My wife's Volvo is white and I washed it once roughly 6 months after he did the job and it seriously looks like it just left his garage. Unreal performance, I realize paint quality per manufacture is different and mine is black and older but i feel i can get roughly the same results out of the o'l black beauty.

Post Thanks / Like

...to AGO!

Quote Originally Posted by shaggerr23 View Post
    I had a friend of mine detail my wife's new Volvo.
    Turned out AWESOME! So much so that
    I went out and bought his exact setup.

Chemicals Guy Hex-Logic Buffing Pad (8 items, 7 pads and a pad cleaner)
    CG-Jetseal - 16oz
    CG-Scratch and Swirl Remover -16oz
    CG-Medium Duty Clay bar
    CG-Butter Wet Wax - 16oz
    CG-V38 Polish - 16oz
    CarPro Iron X - 1 liter

I ended up getting the GG 6" Polisher-
    He wanted me to get the TORQ 10FX Polisher
    but I found the GG polisher (new) for $110
    (After a 30% coupon code) and couldn't pass it up.
    That's quite a haul—good deal on the GG DA!

Now a little about myself,
    I worked at a detail shop/car wash (little local job)
    for many years during high school...
    How many was: "for many years"?

On a side note- I purchased all the chemicals/pads (amazon) and the buffer (advanced auto parts) for less than $215 to my house.
    Congratulations.

However:
    Please keep in mind that AGO's store is
    fully stocked with all-things-detailing.

Bob

Note:
    Glad I got in before the lock!
    Last edited by FUNX650; 04-11-2016 at 11:51 AM. Reason: IBTL
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

hahahah many years being Jr.-Sr. year so half of my high school life- I figured for the price that i purchased everything (amazon) I couldn't beat it. I ended up getting a $100 amazon GC for signing up for a CC and didn't even have to use the CC. i will surely keep AGO in mind. Thanks again! Ill take before and after pictures and give my honest opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

The difference between detailing a black car versus a white car is like night and day.

Hopefully you'll be able to figure out how to best use the supplies you've got, but don't expect to go at it right away and get perfect results. Black will show every little imperfection whereas white will hide the most egregious errors unless you know how to look for them. If you put a halogen light up to your wife's car you'll probably see a slew of micro-marring unless your friend really knows what he's doing (in which case I don't see why he'd be using CG products).

Some of the CG stuff is ok, but I definitely wouldn't buy their whole product line. Still, you didn't overspend for a starter kit. The GG6 is a very nice unit, and you got it at a good price. If you decide the CG stuff isn't making the grade, just move into another product line. I think we've all gone through several different brands before settling on what works well. And different cars like different pads, compounds and waxes so it's good to have different products on hand. Besides, you can always keep the CG stuff to use on friends' cars when you don't want to waste your precious goods!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good will do. Thanks again!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok new question....After knowing my list of products, what order would you use the products listed above? Please include any additional wash processes with the word wash. Thanks again!!!!

Here is how I was thinking the process would go-
    Wash
    Clay ?
    Iron X ?
    Wash
    VSS
    Polish ?
    JetSeal
    Wax
    Ive read I might want to switch the IronX and Clay around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.