autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review-Mother's Back to Black trim restorer

I received this product along with the new Mother's all in one leather care as part of the recent giveaway in exchange for an honest review with pictures.

Here is a copy of the description from the AG store:

Simple spray-on, walk away trim care!

Mothers Back to Black Trim & Plastic Restorer is the easiest Mothers Back to Black product yet! Mothers has perfected their Back to Black line of products, making them some of the most effective products out there. The Mothers Back to Black Trim & Plastic Restorer is no exception. The simple spray on formula provides revolutionary results with minimal effort. Bring your trim (and all exterior plastics!) back to life with Mothers Back to Black Trim & Plastic Restorer.

If your car has any exterior trim, you know how difficult maintaining that dark, sleek finish can be. In the beginning, it’s new and fresh, but after just a few months of sitting unprotected in the sun, it will start to fade and discolor. Luckily, there are products that not only fix this, but also prevent it from happening again in the future. Mother Back to Black Trim & Plastic Restorer is one of those products.

The aerosol can makes application easier than ever while still providing the phenomenal results you’ve come to expect from Mothers Back to Black. Any surface experiencing light oxidation, “sunburn” (overexposure to UV rays), or any lightening of color will be rejuvenated with Mothers Back to Black Trim & Plastic Restorer; it will literally bring it “back to black!”

Mothers Back to Black Trim & Plastic Restorer will also clean your trim surfaces. Any trim with wax residue or surface film will be fully cleaned and restored.

Once Mothers Back to Black Trim & Plastic Restorer has cured, you now have a protective layer that prevents against further deterioration caused by everyday sun exposure, ozone, water, chemicals, and airborne contaminants.

The first test subject was the windshield cowl on my 2004 Acura TSX. It was very faded and in desperate need of some restoration.

The trim was prepped with CG AllClean+ and a stiff brush after a wash.

Some before pics:
    Review-Mother's Back to Black trim restorer-img_0506-jpg
    Review-Mother's Back to Black trim restorer-img_0500-jpg

50/50:
    Review-Mother's Back to Black trim restorer-img_0504-jpg

Afters:
    Immediately after application
    Review-Mother's Back to Black trim restorer-img_0503-jpg
    After about 30 mins
    Review-Mother's Back to Black trim restorer-img_0508-jpg

The second test subject was my dad's 2012 Chevy Avalanche:

Trim was prepped same as on my car.

Before:
    Review-Mother's Back to Black trim restorer-img_0520-jpg
    Review-Mother's Back to Black trim restorer-img_0521-jpg

After:
    Review-Mother's Back to Black trim restorer-img_0524-jpg
    Review-Mother's Back to Black trim restorer-img_0525-jpg

Overall I liked this product. It has a pretty strong smell that is typical of Mother's products. Not the greatest smell, but not the worst. Application was fairly simple, just spray on and walk away. It was pretty oily at first, but after 12 hours or so it was pretty much dry to the touch. It did a great job of darkening the trim and restoring it to a nice deep black look. Not overly shiny, which is very nice. I would recommend this product to a degree since it is at a pretty good price point($8 or $9). But as a product for professionals or somebody looking for truly amazing results, this is not the right product for you. It does a good job overall, but not a job worthy of a 5-star rating. I would give this a 3.25/5 rating overall. As for durability, it's been 5 or 6 days since I applied the product and so far it all still looks great! I will try to update this thread with more long term longevity observations over time.
    Currently: 2014 Jet Black Mica Mazda 6

Previously: 2004 Milano Red Acura TSX

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review-Mother's Back to Black trim restorer

Excellent review, both vehicles trim pieces definitely looks great, keep us posted on durability

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for taking the time and review this product.

The Avalanche.... All that plastic just screams "Test me!" Every single one I've seen on the road so far have faded trims. This product looks to be suitable for those that want to maintain, and keep their workhorse/commuters presentable.

Post Thanks / Like

Review-Mother's Back to Black trim restorer

Great review !!! I have tried the Mothers Back To Black Trim Restorer Lotion and found it to be q pretty decent product. Cleaned up some neglected trim fairly well and durability is ok. It's not on par with UTTG or WETS but it's a nice AIO trim product.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Great review !!! I have tried the Mothers Back To Black Trim Restorer Lotion and found it to be q pretty decent product. Cleaned up some neglected trim fairly well and durability is ok. It's not on par with UTTG or WETS but it's a nice AIO trim product.

Agree. Our minivan had some pretty badly faded and worn dark gray trim and Mothers was not able to help it much if at all. I used WETS and it's been great. Lasted through two cleanings and heavy coatings of dirt so far. I'll put some pics in another thread so as not to derail this one.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jamesboyy View Post
    Excellent review, both vehicles trim pieces definitely looks great, keep us posted on durability
    Thanks!
    Will do!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalNoodle View Post
    Thank you for taking the time and review this product.

The Avalanche.... All that plastic just screams "Test me!" Every single one I've seen on the road so far have faded trims. This product looks to be suitable for those that want to maintain, and keep their workhorse/commuters presentable.
    Absolutely!
    I knew I had the ideal test subject for this product. Glad I got the chance to test it out!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Thanks!
    I've used some of the old profuct that was very lotion-like and it really sucked for me. Decent looking at first, but as soon as it rained it was a mess. Hopefully this will not be a similar experience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGuy21 View Post
    Thanks!

I've used some of the old profuct that was very lotion-like and it really sucked for me. Decent looking at first, but as soon as it rained it was a mess. Hopefully this will not be a similar experience

Yeah that was the old Back To Black protectorant. Definitely not the best. This is a completely different product.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I also want to say thanks to Bryan and the whole AG crew for giving me the chance to test this product out!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast