autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Son1c C-Vore 2.0 vs. Poorboy's Natty Red PIC HEAVY!

Prep:
    So this is my mom's 2010 Mercedes GL550. It's got 80k miles and is left outside 24/7. Here are the products used to prep the vehicle:
    Wheels/ Tires:
    -Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel Gel
    -Chemical Guys Signature Series Degreaser
    -HD Dress

Paint:
    -Chemical Guys Glossworkz Shampoo
    -Megs Professional Quick Detailer
    -Spot Clay w/ Nanoskin Block
    -Shine Supply Throwback (Paint Cleanser IPA equivalent)
    -Menzerna Power Lock Sealant (Car was sealed yesterday evening. I let the car sit a full 24 hours before starting this test)

Interior:
    -3d LVP Cleaner @ 10:1
    -Shine Supply Clean n Shine (Protectant)
    -Shine Supply Leather Conditioner

Showdown:
    Now for the showdown between Son1c Wax Carnaubavore 2.0 vs. Poorboy's World Natty's Paste Wax Red

Texture/ Packaging/ Scent:
    The texture of Son1c Carnaubavore 2.0 is a relatively soft paste wax. It melts easily into the applicator and does not take much wax. The packaging is in a great wide-mouth, sturdy plastic jar. I've dropped these things countless times and never had any problems. Labels are also very high quality. The scent to me smells a lot like pink lemonade. It is my favorite Son1c scent to date (and I have almost all of them lol).

The Poorboy's Natty Red is also a relatively soft paste wax, but more of a chunky consistency. You can see in the picture where it actually chunks off. The packaging is a very cheap plastic jar and the wax doesn't come up to the top, which means you have to dig your applicator into it. The mouth also isn't wide enough and the labels are laughably cheap IMO. The scent is a nice tropical bubblegum (maybe coconut mixed in?)

Application
    Both waxes were applied with Buff n Shine red applicators. The applicators were primed with a shot or two of Megs Pro Quick Detailer. The Son1c wax has more of a "synthetic" feel to it. It is not hard to apply, but doesn't go quite as far. It applies easy and is not oily at all.
    Son1c application:

The Poorboy's spreads very far and very easily. It is very oily and feels what a lot of people think of when they hear paste wax.
    Poorboy's Application:

Removal:
    Both waxes hazed up very quickly (5 min or less). Both waxes removed cleanly with a 420 gsm microfiber. No dust, smearing, or fighting with the wax with either of these. They removed almost effortlessly and were very user friendly.

Son1c Removed:

Poorboy's Removed:

Results:
    The results for an 80k mile car that has never been polished are stunning. This will be the picture heavy part of the review. Keep in mind the left side of the car was waxed with Son1c and the right car was waxed with Natty's.

Natty's Side shots:

Son1c Side Shots:

Now my favorite angle of Son1c:

and Natty's:

Beading/ Sheeting:
    No video this time for beading and sheeting, but I used a spray bottle filled with regular tap water.

Natty's Beading:

Son1c Beading:

Natty's after sheeting:

Son1c after sheeting:

Final Thoughts/ Shots
    I was thoroughly impressed with both waxes. Natty's put up a great fight, but at the end of the day, Son1c Carnaubavore 2.0 wins in my book. Natty's is a fantastic wax for the price, and can hang with waxes triple its price, but a few things aren't as good as an ultra premium Son1c wax. First of all, I prefer ultra-premium paste waxes. If I want a cheap and ridiculously easy to use wax, I'll use a liquid. When I use a paste wax, I want it to be super premium, feel premium, and give a show-car look. The Poorboy's Natty's works great, but it doesn't look or feel premium. The jar is not functional (literally have to scoop wax out). The jar is also very cheap plastic that doesn't screw on correctly most of the time. The labels are very cheap, which isn't a big deal, I just like a nice looking wax. The Son1c on the other hand comes shipped in a cardboard box with two applicators, labels are high quality, and the jar is pretty and functional. Son1c beads were a little tighter and the sheeting was a little cleaner. The depth seemed deeper in person and it smelled better. Overall it was a very close battle, but I pick Son1c Carnaubavore 2.0 as my winner. Regardless, the car looks fantastic for having 80k miles!

2011 BMW 328i Sedan 6 speed auto
    1981 Datsun 280zx 5 speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Son1c C-Vore 2.0 vs. Poorboy's Natty Red PIC HEAVY!

Great review!! And nice work I'm sure mom was pleased!
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, looks great! Fantastic review and write-up.
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Great comparison and write-up. Pink lemonade...I need some of this wax! My Natty's Black arrived looking really chunky and destroyed, it really smooths out great though with a bit of massaging. Poorboy's has nailed it with their formulas, they're an absolute pleasure to apply and remove. Thanks for posting!

Post Thanks / Like

Incredible write-up Mike! Always love seeing wax comparisons, truth be told it was wax review comparisons that really sparked me into creating my own waxes. . . I cannot do them anymore publicly as I have obvious bias now but needless to say I absolutely love reading them especially when I have a combatant in the arena!
    Thanks for taking the time and for choosing my product