autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick review of McKee's 37 Headlight Restoring Polish and Protectant Spray

Hi everybody. As you may know from my previous threads, I've been testing out the soon to be released McKee's 37 lineup. I got to try out the All In One Headlight Restoring Polish and Headlight Protectant Spray today on a Porsche 996 turbo at a local performance shop.

It's a 15 year old street and track car so naturally the plastic lenses were in need of some tlc.

The owner had another detailer try to restore them previously but said they couldn't make a noticeable difference. Not sure what their process was but I decided to give it a go myself.

First I cleaned the lenses with D114 and taped the surrounding area.

I then sanded the lenses with 1500 grit paper and finished with 3000 grit.

After sanding, I used my Flex PE8 with a 2 inch heavy orange foam pad and McKee's 37 All In One Headlight Restoring Polish to remove the sanding marks. The polish has a good work time and easily restored clarity to the lenses.

I then wiped the polish with no fuss and coated the lights using the protectant. This was pretty straightforward to apply.

The owner then came to inspect the work and was very happy to see clear lights on his car again.

Pretty sweet ride if you ask me

Final thoughts: Both products had informative directions and performed well without issues. I'm guessing they will also be offered in a kit form like the Detailer's Pro Total Headlight Restoration Kit currently available. I'm not sure if there are any differences in the formulas between the McKee's 37 and Detailer's Pro versions as I have not used the latter combo. I'm hoping an explanation will be released with more info on the changes made to the DP and XMT formulas as well as what products are entirely new formulas on their own.

Anyways, I can see this combo being very handy for someone looking for an easy and effective solution to restore and maintain plastic headlights.

Well that's all I've got, thanks for looking!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick review of McKee's 37 Headlight Restoring Polish and Protectant Spray

Another nice review! Great job on those headlights.
    Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - John Lennon

Post Thanks / Like

You are killing it buddy! Amazing review and write-up as always!

It's such a compliment that you were able to restore the headlights of this beautiful 996TT while the previous detailer wasn't able to. I wonder what products he tried.

Was wet sanding your only option? Did you first try compounding it to see if it will make a dent? What about the McKee's headlight polish before wet sanding?

Thanks and keep up the good work.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Nice save!
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

Nice save Harris!

Was 1500 grit necessary? By the looks of it 3000 should have been able to handle it. Either way, nicely done.

Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!!! Great job bringing those headlights back.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up as always! Bummer you didn't try the AIO first instead of sanding. If McKee's is the same as DP's Headlight AIO was, I'm confident it would have been all you needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Haris great job!! I've used the DP headlight polish and protectant on several vehicle and astounded by it's ability to clean lenses.

Even if the McKee product is just a re-branding, that's fine with me because the DP product worked great.

I think many of us are VERY anxious now to find out what products are re-branded but stayed the same, which are re-formulations, which are completely new, and finally the "mapping" of old products to the new ones. (e.g. what product replaces XMT1, XMT2, XMT3 etc.)

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Was wet sanding your only option? What about the McKee's headlight polish before wet sanding?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Was 1500 grit necessary? By the looks of it 3000 should have been able to handle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Bummer you didn't try the AIO first instead of sanding. If McKee's is the same as DP's Headlight AIO was, I'm confident it would have been all you needed.
    +3. I thought the whole point of this product was as an alternative to sanding.

Super Member Caleb@ImpeccableImage's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nicely done! I think 3000 grit wouldve taken care of it but fantastic results regardless. That is one sweet looking Porsche

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast