autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating

Review: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating
    Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating

Description: (Taken from AG's website)

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating redefines the surface coating

My staff would say that I’m old school because even in this day and age, where paste waxes are being eclipsed by state-of-the-art paint coatings and synthetic sealants, I still prefer applying a coat of wax to my show car by hand. As my business continues to flourish, so does my roster of vehicles. It’s no secret that daily drivers require a lot more attention than a show car that sits under a cover in an air-conditioned garage, so I gave my team the challenge of developing a surface coating that would outlast and outperform a conventional car wax or paint sealant. Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating was born.

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating provides protection measured in years, not weeks or months. This easy-to-apply coating was designed for painted surfaces, glass, wheels, head lights, and hard exterior plastic trim. It’s packaged in a syringe for easy application. Uber Ceramic Coating lasts up to 3 years on painted surfaces, 2 years on wheels and 1 year on glass. It offers protection without compromise. And the shine, it must be seen to believe.

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating blankets your vehicle in a glossy shell of ceramic protection that complements all colors. Black will appear infinitely deep; red will dazzle with bright reflections; white and silver will appear as if molten glass was poured over the finish, giving the appearance that an extra layer or two of clear coat was applied. Regardless of the color of your vehicle, Uber Ceramic Coating will make it shine better than it ever has. Relentless water beading and a self-cleaning effect will keep your car shining bright in between washes.

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating is as easy to apply as your favorite Wolfgang car wax or synthetic sealant. Polish the surface to remove gloss-hindering imperfections like swirl marks and scratches, wipe it down with Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep to cleanse the surface of polishing oils, then apply a thin coat of Uber Ceramic Coating panel by panel. It goes on thin and wipes off without any effort, plus there’s no chalkiness or white powder to clean up. A single 15cc syringe will coat up to 3 midsize cars with protection that is unrivaled by a wax or paint sealant.

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating is not a wax or synthetic paint sealant, but rather a clear resin that chemically bonds to clear coat, creating a tough-as-nails shell of protection that can withstand repeated exposure to environmental contaminants without wearing off. Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating protects against wash-induced swirl marks, oxidation, bug stains, road salt, water spots, and bird droppings. This actually decreases the cost of maintaining your vehicle because less maintenance is required to keep the exterior looking clean and shiny.

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating forms an extremely glossy shell of protection that is on average 50 times thicker than a conventional car wax or synthetic paint sealant. This enables Uber Ceramic Coating to withstand repeated car washes without wearing thin.

Vehicles that have been coated with the unmatched protection of Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating will repel dirt, oil, dust, and road grime to provide incredible ease of maintenance. You’ll be amazed at just how clean your vehicle stays in between washes. When it does come time to wash it, dirt and grime will be removed with one pass of your wash mitt. No scrubbing required!

Includes:
    15cc Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating
    Application card
    Wolfgang Concours Series Microfiber Towel, 16 x 24 inches
    Coating Applicator

Price:
    $129.99 for 15cc
    $199.99 for 30cc (currently on sale for $149.99)

The Review:

I had a very nice and stunning 2013 BMW M5 to detail last weekend and the owner wanted to apply a coating to the vehicle. I elected to use the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating because I know Wolfgang only produces top notch products and this beast deserves the best products available. I wanted to share my experience and thoughts of this product with my fellow geeks.

I first prepped the vehicle by removing as much swirls and defects as much as possible. You want the paint underneath the coating to be as perfect as possible because you will seal whatever condition the paint is in once you apply the coating. For more details on how I prepared the vehicle described in this review, please check out my full detail thread here: Detailed: 2013 BMW M5 - Black Sapphire Metallic - HRE Wheels

Here's what you get out of the box:

Here's the the instruction card says:

The instructions said to use Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep
    to thoroughly clean the paint surface. I will include this product in this review as part of the coating application process.

Here are some pictures of the product and directions:

I sprayed the Paint Prep directly on to each panel multiple times and wiped the product off. I used a second dry microfiber to ensure that the panel I'm working on is completely dry. This product is very pleasant to use because it has a very nice smell. It has some kind of fruity smell to it. The product spreads very easily and the evaporation process reminds me of how coatings flash. But the second dry microfiber towel took care of any remaining residue left on the panel I'm working on. I used this product each panel as I worked my way around the car.

After ensuring that the paint is free of any polishing oils or chemicals, the coating can now be applied.

I first primed the pad by applying a "X" pattern of product in my brand new foam applicator pad as shown:

I then started working on each panel. The instructions said to work on one panel at a time and break the hood, trunk and roof into 2 sections. But for this car, I found that each panel was too big. I broke down each door and panels into 2. I broke down the hood and roof into 3 sections. I would add about 10 drops before applying the coating on each work area.

Here are some pictures of the coating flashing. Sorry for the blurry pictures as it was very hard to capture.

After about a minute of applying the coating to each panel, about 80% of the coating would have flashed off by then. I would then use my microfiber towel to buff off any excess coating that hasn't flashed. You need to be very careful and thorough with this step. If you miss buffing any coating that didn't flash, this will harden and the only way to remove them is to polish them out.

Thoughts:

I have a lot of experience applying Optimum Opti-coat 2.0 so I will be mainly comparing my experience against that product. Application of the Wolfgang Uber Coating was easy as pie. The application process went on very smooth. The foam applicator pad wasn't grabby at all. I hated using Opti-coat 2.0 because the coating was grabby and would sometimes cause the foam pad to fall from your hand. The product also spreads very easily and it seems that you don't need much product to cover an entire panel. Doing the criss-cross application pattern ensures even coverage.

The paint surface was very slick to the touch after the coating has cured for 24 hours. It almost felt like it was just waxed. I liked this feature a lot. I hated the fact that Opti-coat 2.0 didn't feel slick at all after application.

So those are 2 major improvements of the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating over the Opti-coat 2.0. I think these are amazing improvements.

I tried to take videos of the water reactions as well.

Sorry the next video wasn't focused properly. I didn't see the problem as I was recording and didn't realize this mistake until I uploaded the movie to my computer.

As you can see, the surface repels and sheets off water very well.

Here are some pictures of the paint after about 48 hours of cure time. I was blown away with how slick and shiny the surface is. I couldn't believe my eyes and my jaw dropped to the floor. You be the judge.

Conclusion:

I think PBMG did a homerun with this product. The Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating is very easy to use so anybody can apply this coating. It provides a very slick, glossy and shiny paint surface. This coating is a no brainer because not only does it make your car look good but it also gives your car better and longer lasting protection. Just imagine all the free time you gain from not having to wax your car as often. If it really does last up to 3 years as advertise, you really can't beat that.

If you're looking for a good coating to apply to your car, please seriously consider the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating - you will not be disappointed!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post

...I think PBMG did a homerun with this product. The Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating is very easy to use so anybody can apply this coating. It provides a very slick, glossy and shiny paint surface...
    Excellent review!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review.

Post Thanks / Like

Another great review. Thanks for sharing the water behavior videos as well. I've done some cars with Opti-Coat 2.0 and still have an old syringe of it laying around somewhere. I think maybe I'll try this stuff out next and see how it compares.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent write-up with pics, as usual. Really enjoy reading about your work. Thanks for sharing. If I ever get over my nervousness about applying coatings, Wolfgang would be one to try.
    Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - John Lennon

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. Thanks for sharing. Curious as to why you didn't use the included application pad and chose to go with your own pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Marc. I have only limited experience with this coating but hoping to get more time with it when the weather warms up.

Also curios why you didn't use the included LC Coating Applicator.

Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
    Excellent review!
    Thanks a lot, FrankS!

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Great review.
    Thank you so much, Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by haris300 View Post
    Another great review. Thanks for sharing the water behavior videos as well. I've done some cars with Opti-Coat 2.0 and still have an old syringe of it laying around somewhere. I think maybe I'll try this stuff out next and see how it compares.
    Thanks a lot, Haris! I appreciate the compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by Priyaka View Post
    Excellent write-up with pics, as usual. Really enjoy reading about your work. Thanks for sharing. If I ever get over my nervousness about applying coatings, Wolfgang would be one to try.
    Thank you so much, Priyaka! I appreciate you chiming in. I'm really glad you are enjoying my reviews. That pushes me more to create them.

You shouldn't be nervous about applying coatings. They're pretty easy. If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by StangFan25 View Post
    Nice review. Thanks for sharing. Curious as to why you didn't use the included application pad and chose to go with your own pad?
    Thank you, StangFan25.

I have a lot of experience using OC2.0 with the standard foam applicator pad so I used that. Also, I thought the included LC applicator pad was too big to handle and too thick for my tastes. I feel it's just going to absorb unnecessary product.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Nice review Marc. I have only limited experience with this coating but hoping to get more time with it when the weather warms up.

Also curios why you didn't use the included LC Coating Applicator.

Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks a lot for the compliments Mike!

Please see my response to StangFan25 above with regards to the applicator pad choice.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Great work! This coating is really a home run!
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Marc08EX - this was a great review. I have been researching coatings as this will (hopefully soon) be my first venture into the coating experience. Because of your write up/review, I decided to pull the trigger on Wolfgang UC. I've used several Wolfgang products and have been happy with them.

From the many different pics I've seen of different coatings - your pics seem to actual simulate what Wolfgang UC states about being both deep and reflective on dark cars. Both of my cars are black and I'm going to try this on my DD first and if I like the results, I'll give it a whirl on my garage queen...but there are a whole set of questions I need answered before I do this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast