autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating

I purchased this during one of the christmas sales and used it today on my 2002 Camaro SS. I don't drive this car to often but I shall see what kind of durability I get with it.

Product description:

CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating is the ultimate protection against the non-stop abuse that the leather and vinyl upholstery in a daily driver is exposed to. CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating forms a semi-permanent protective barrier on leather and vinyl surfaces that resists staining caused by mud, grease, crayons, juice, super glue and more! CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating is perfect for light colored leather because it protects against dye transfer from clothing.

CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating is the most durable leather protectant available. Unlike a conditioner that penetrates into the surface, Cquartz Leather forms a flexible shell of protection on top of the surface that prevents the leather’s natural oils from escaping in the first place, ensuring the leather retains its soft, tactile feel.

CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating will not cause leather to “yellow” or fade. This durable coating creates a hydrophobic and UV resistant barrier of protection that keeps your leather looking and feeling like the day it was new.

Interiors that are coated with CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating will be easier to maintain! Because the coating prevents dirt and grime from sticking to the leather, a damp microfiber towel is all it takes maintain the finish.

Protect your vehicle’s delicate leather and vinyl upholstery with CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating!
    From CarPro's site

Features and Specifications:

• Durability: 1 to 2 years
    • Resists dye transfer
    • Hydrophobic & Oil Phobic
    • Stain resistant
    • Chemical resistant
    • UV resistant
    • "Easy clean" affect
    • Preserves color and resists fading
    Tools and products used:

CarPro Leather Coating
    Meguiar's D181 Leather Cleaner
    Adams Interior Brush
    Various microfiber towels

Product packaging

Directions

What's included in the package

The coating is sealed as well.

Expiration date on the bottom of the bottle

Prior to the coating application, I cleaned the leather seats with Meguiar's D181 and a brush. I followed up with a damp microfiber per the directions.

Before shot of the lower bolster cleaned up using D181 and wiped down with a damp microfiber.

After shot of the lower bolster shot with Cquartz leather coating. It has a slight darkening effect. It was a bit difficult to capture the slight darkening with the camera. I didn't take too many photos.

I referenced this video for the coating application

Thoughts:

Cquartz leather coating has a slight darkening effect. It leaves a matte finish on the leather surface once it dries.

When applying it almost feels and looks like there is no product being applied to the leather surface due to the darkening effect not being too noticeable. I even thought I was not applying enough to the applicator. It also appears as if it is streaking. But that goes away once it is buffed off to remove any remaining high spots. It had a little bit of a learning curve but after one seat I was able to figure out how to use it.

The leather had a nice feeling once it dried after about 10-15 min.

It will be hard to judge the durability of it on this car since I don't drive it daily . But the upside is all I need to do is use a damp applicator to maintain the surface.

A little product when a long way. I used 4 applicators. One for each seat (2 front + 2 rear). I will be using this on my daily driver as well the next time I detail the interior.

Overall a great product that leaves the surface looking and feeling great.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - CarPro Cquartz Leather Coating

Great review. It will be interesting to see how long the coating lasts on your daily driver once you apply it.
    Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - John Lennon

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a bottle this week. I am applying it to my daily driver sometime in the next couple of weeks. My plan was to clean it with my Blue Magic leather cleaner prior to the application. If I remember correctly, there was no film left behind from that but I will probably wipe it down with a damp MF anyway.

I even contacted Car Pro about this product because I was wondering if it would work on my Air Jordan collection. I was confused since it said, "Avoid use on white/light colored interiors." Then it said that it prevents leather from yellowing, which would have to be right. Anyway, they suggested I test a small area and let it cure for 2 weeks before making the call whether to apply to the entire shoe or not. I am going to do that to a white pair that I have and also a black pair. I figure if it works for finished leather seats, why not for shoes as well?

Post Thanks / Like

I have used this on two different occasions. Was not impressed. I used it on white leather, since AG suggested it prevents dye transfer. Did the entire interior first coat. Things were fine, did a second coat as instructed, the very LAST section I applied the second coat to yellowed. Brand new Lincoln, big yellow spot. Of course I posted and got don't use on light interiors and the famous do a test spot. Well I did, and I coated the entire interior with no issue. It wasn't until the last 5 minutes of coating did I have a problem.
    Second vehicle was my new Durango black interior, application was fine, I have 3 dogs I take to run so mud is always an issue. Dirt is as difficult to remove as it was before coating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review, Guz.

Quote Originally Posted by parttimer View Post
    I have used this on two different occasions. Was not impressed. I used it on white leather, since AG suggested it prevents dye transfer. Did the entire interior first coat. Things were fine, did a second coat as instructed, the very LAST section I applied the second coat to yellowed. Brand new Lincoln, big yellow spot. Of course I posted and got don't use on light interiors and the famous do a test spot. Well I did, and I coated the entire interior with no issue. It wasn't until the last 5 minutes of coating did I have a problem.
    Second vehicle was my new Durango black interior, application was fine, I have 3 dogs I take to run so mud is always an issue. Dirt is as difficult to remove as it was before coating.

Interesting. I think leather coatings are useless. Why? If driven daily, the abrasion is going to remove the coating relatively quickly, IMO.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, I thought I'd give it a try, not worth the cash

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, I thought I'd give it a try, not worth the cash

'03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

It's been about a month since I applied it. I drove my camaro the other day. I noticed no yellowing or discolorations. No high spots either. The leather has a nice feel to it.

I only applied one coat.

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOak82 View Post
    I picked up a bottle this week. I am applying it to my daily driver sometime in the next couple of weeks. My plan was to clean it with my Blue Magic leather cleaner prior to the application. If I remember correctly, there was no film left behind from that but I will probably wipe it down with a damp MF anyway.

I even contacted Car Pro about this product because I was wondering if it would work on my Air Jordan collection. I was confused since it said, "Avoid use on white/light colored interiors." Then it said that it prevents leather from yellowing, which would have to be right. Anyway, they suggested I test a small area and let it cure for 2 weeks before making the call whether to apply to the entire shoe or not. I am going to do that to a white pair that I have and also a black pair. I figure if it works for finished leather seats, why not for shoes as well?
    Keep us posted on how it works out for your shoes. Should work on them.

I only used 1 coat. The leather on my car is of course black and I noticed no discoloration or yellowing.

I don't recall a second layer being recommended unless Cory actually recommeded it. I followed the directions from the CarPro's site and on the box. They say it "may" be layered. I took that as optional.

I have also spoke to KMG detailing about this product and I believe he has not noticed any issues using this product on customers vehicles.

Directions:

1. Thoroughly clean all dirt, moisture, and oils from surface with non-oily, interior safe cleaner that leaves no sealant or dressing
    2. Wipe with a water damp towel to remove residue from your cleaner if needed
    3. Pour at least 10 drops or one small strip onto the suede wrapped applicator
    4. Work CQuartz Leather into the surface including all creases, and texture
    5. Gently wipe off any excess within 2-3 minutes (may vary with temps and leather type)
    6. May layer after 30 minutes from start of the first application
    7. Touch dry after 10 min / Avoid water for 4 hours / Fully cured at 3 days

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Thanks for the review, Guz.

Interesting. I think leather coatings are useless. Why? If driven daily, the abrasion is going to remove the coating relatively quickly, IMO.
    You are probably right. But the coating will probably break down slower compared to a leather conditioner/protectant.

Post Thanks / Like

A quick follow up. I have driven my Camaro quite a few times since I have applied Cquartz leather coating to it. It has been holding up just fine. I can still feel the little slickness the product left behind.

I ended up cleaning the interior today and wiped the seats down with Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer. To answer the question about the cleaner in QID, no it did not remove the coating. It worked just fine. The seats cleaned up easily. I noticed no dirt coming off the seats. Especially from the drivers seat which is the only one that gets sat in the most.

Here is the beading from a spritz of QID. I tried my best to capture it.

I applied it to my uncles leather seats in his 2002 Corvette. The seats came out great. Should make future cleanings much easier.

I even put some on my shoes just for the heck of it lol. It seems to be holding up fine.

Post Thanks / Like

What makes this product good to use on interior wood/plastic surfaces? Wouldn't CarPro Dlux be a better choice or is Dlux for exterior surfaces only?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast