autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Griot's Garage PFM Total Towel Kit and Best of Show Wax

Hi everybody. I was graciously sent some Griot's Garage products to try out and share my experience with. I had already been intrigued by the PFM or "pure freakin' magic" towels on the What's New page so I was excited to give them a go when they showed up at my house. Let's see if they live up to the hype.

I started out with the PFM Terry Weave Drying Towel. First impressions is that this towel is very thick and very heavy, but not enough to make it difficult to use. I found it be a little rough to the touch when it was dry, but later found this not to be a problem after dampening.

After a quick 2 bucket wash on my 300zx, I sheeted as much water away with my hose, dampened the towel, and got to drying. I used Meguiar's D114 as a drying aid and gently dabbed/glided over the paint and glass.

Drying was effortless and left no streaks. I didn't have to wring out the towel once. The whole car minus the wheels was dry in less than 10 minutes.

Next up was the PFM Wax Removal Towels. The first thing that caught my attention about these was their size. They are very small at 9x9" each. It seemed strange to me at first but it made sense as I realized it's not as cumbersome to use as a regular towel folded over.

The 300zx is my only car that isn't coated with CQuartz so it was the best candidate for waxing. I found it appropriate to use the Best of Show Wax I received.

Application was a breeze. I like the smell of this wax very much. Very pleasant. No overwhelming chemical solvent or excessively fruity smell.

Wiping off the Best of Show Wax with the PFM towels was very easy. These don't feel as soft or as plush as the normal 360gsm towels I use, but this seems to assist in taking a "bite" out of the leftover product with minimal effort and without marring. One swipe is all you really need. It took me around 15 minutes to do the whole car. I did a second coat shortly after to ensure proper coverage. I only had to use one towel.

The towels did perform to my expectations. At the current sales price of 4 towels for 20 dollars, they are a bit pricey for a wax removal towel, but they won't disappoint if you do end up trying them out. I obviously can't complain since they were given to me to try out. I'll leave that judgement up to you guys.

The paint looked wonderful. I enjoy waxing this car so I'll definitely be reaching for the Best of Show Wax again.

Next up was the PFM Dual Weave Glass Towels.

These too were 9x9" like the wax removal towels. They have a plush terry weave side for cleaning and a tight weave side for drying/final wiping. I used these with Meguiar's Glass Cleaner.

The packaging says you can use one towel for the entire car, but I didn't find this to work very well for me. Once the towel becomes saturated with glass cleaner from wiping with the terry side, the tight weave side tends to become grabby during the final wiping step and left me with streaks.

I resolved this issue by simply using a fresh PFM glass towel towel for the final wiping. Following up with the second towel gave me crystal clear glass.

The last towel left to try was the PFM Microfiber Shop Towels. I was surprised at how soft these were and that they were intended for cleaning up shop messes.

Usually I clean up messes from wrenching with a much rougher cloth like the one on the left in the picture below.

I would definitely feel comfortable cleaning door jambs or wheels with these. I actually ended up using one of these to wipe down my wheels with Optimum Opti Clean, flipping sides after each wheel.

http://i.imgur.com/TovUWBx.jpg

Once the wheels were clean, I retired the towel to engine compartment cleaning.

These worked great with a little Meguiar's D101.

These are 18 dollars for 20 towels at the current sale price. That seemed a bit high to me but they are very nice quality towels. In my opinion, too nice for cleaning up shop messes. I'll be using these for door jambs and wheels from now on. They would also be great for cleaning up tools.

Overall I liked the PFM towels(as well as the wax) very much. They performed well and did not leave a single trace of lint whatsoever. Usually I have to give new towels a wash before using them but for these it was not necessary. Of all of the towels, the drying towel is definitely my favorite to use.

Oh and as for the Microfiber & Foam Pad Cleaner, I've already got a gallon size next to my utility room sink that's just about empty. I've been using it for sometime to clean my towels and pads and it works great. I may have to upload some pictures later.

Anyway, thanks for reading and happy detailing! Here are some outside shots of the Z I snagged with my DSLR.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's Garage PFM Total Towel Kit and Best of Show Wax

Looks like some quality MF offerings ....thanks for the review and pics.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing review of all the new Griot's Garage products! It's great that you were able to incorporate all of them into the same review. I'm very very intrigued with the PFM drying towels as well. Do you think it's worth the $34.99 price tag?

I enjoyed reading your review and all the pictures. Your 300ZX looks so sick man. And so shiny!

Thank you for taking time to do this.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I'm a sucker for lil details like the red hem thread. Guess I'll have to grab a few.

Post Thanks / Like

Griots usually has a decent offering; just the cheapest but predictable. Sounds like these towels are right inline. Great review and the Z looks great!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Amazing review of all the new Griot's Garage products! It's great that you were able to incorporate all of them into the same review. I'm very very intrigued with the PFM drying towels as well. Do you think it's worth the $34.99 price tag?

I enjoyed reading your review and all the pictures. Your 300ZX looks so sick man. And so shiny!

Thank you for taking time to do this.
    I think it's worth the price tag. I have a quite a few different drying towels (cobra guzzler, dry me a river, etc) but the PFM towel might just take the top spot for me. It's a real treat to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review! Will definitely look into getting some of the PFM towels. Your car looks fantastic!!
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review! The drying towel looks like a good one.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the detailed review and pics. Some great towels here, it seems -- I may have to try a few.
    Yeah we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun - John Lennon

Post Thanks / Like

Great review.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast