autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Black Label Elite Coating Kit + BLack Label Diamond Paint Coating V2

This is a more recent job I did however I'm currently in China so I can't access my FB to attach pics. (You can see them on my FB Page Phaze Automotive)

The Pinnacle BL Elite Kit was used on a 2012 Nissan Serena that belongs to the owner of the Mazda 6 I did the Chemical Guys Second Skin 6 Coating for previously. The Serena is his family daily driver and goes through hell. The Pinnacle BL Diamond Paint Coating V2 was used on my wifes Black MB C200.

PBL Elite Kit

The Serena was a mess, it had a layer of brownish coating on the paint. Almost as if the car was being protected by dirt. It's hard to explain but after a Foam Prebath with DP Xtreme Foam, then a 2 Bucket Handwash with CG Glossy wash and Clay Bar, the layer still wouldn't come off. I'm currently still using the Megs G220V but I've since upgraded to CG Hex Logic Foam Pads. I did the entire car using Poorboy's Pro Polish on CG Green Pad then finished off with the included PBL Cleansing Polish. Application of the PBL products is super easy and flashes instantly. I'm a big fan of the spray application method, I've done the bottle before using CQuartz on another car (another post) but wasn't really a fan. The Elite kit includes coatings for paint, wheels and glass, cleansing polish, applicator pads and 2 MF towels. The Serena got 2 layers of everything, and based on Pinnacle, you can instantly add another layer as the products flash/cure immediately.

PBL Diamond Paint Coating V2

This was used on my wifes MB C200 which is a DD and had previously been coated with a Asian Brand here in HK. However I'm very OCD and noticed alot swirls and scratches that supposedly should've been avoided because of the coating we were sold and also because I sent the car to them usually for regular washing. I'll possibly be posting this job separately as it was labor intensive and results of my compounding and polishing yielded less than satisfactory results even though I went ahead and applied the PBL coating regardless.

The Serena looked amazing however I noticed that the smoothness wasn't even on all the panels even though the application process was all the same (Spray, work into thin layer, flash, buff) The side panels felt smooth after just one application but the hood didn't which I couldn't figure out, After the second layer the smoothness started to even out on all the panels. The Glass all felt amazing after just one coating. After the second coat I let the car "cure" overnight but the owner needed the car so I was unable to apply my usual finishing layer of sealant and wax. What we've noticed so far, the PBL beads well but the beads don't run. We happened to have a few days of rain lately and the customer made this comment. Also, the smoothness is now fading even though it's only been 3 weeks.

My wifes MB C200 had a different problem. Her car used the PBL Diamond Paint Coating V2 which again, applies to easily. Spray, work thin layers, flash and buff. I again did 2 coats to the entire car but the car was unable to "cure" for a full 12 (maybe only 8-9 hours) hours as she had to use the car in the morning and it started to drizzle. The drizzle led to light rain which when the car came back I noticed that while the water beaded on the top portion of the door panels, the bottom had no beading at all. I thought maybe I was just tired so I ignored it.

The rain continued so I decided to try a foam bath followed by rinse using a 16L hand pump sprayer. This was more to get most of the big dirt off the car. Again I noticed that the bottom panels seemed like there was no coating on there at all. I also noticed when I came back from getting a MF to wipe down the car that there were water spots on some of the panels. Now I was starting to get worried. However again I ignored it and attributed it to the minerals in the rain. Few days later the dirtiness of the car bothered my OCD so I had the car in for a full service wash with a place I trust. As they were spraying my car I AGAIN noticed that the bottom panels just weren't beading AT ALL. I can't understand why, the entire car was done the exact same way. After the wash, I immediately brought the car home and applied some PBL cleansing polish and then 2 more layers of Diamond Paint Coating.

I'm wondering if the reason the MB had this problem was because I used DP Coating prep instead of the PBL cleansing polish though I've read other who have done the same thing and had no problems. I've sent my questions to Pinnacle but haven't heard from them yet, it's been about a week now so I'm not sure how to proceed as I've been pushing PBL coating for my business. But with results like this, it's hard to back the product with my customers.

I'm not blaming Pinnacle, it's very possible I did something wrong along the way. I'm quite OCD and try to be as methodical as possible when detailing. I'm just hoping they reply to my email soon and give me some insight.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle Black Label Elite Coating Kit + BLack Label Diamond Paint Coating V2

One promblem maybe not enough curing time,and the pinnacle coating is suppose to be used with the pinnacle cleansing polish.so the dp may have caused the promblem.when it comes to coating follow the instructions and don't mix one product in conjunction with another use the product as it says.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle Black Label Elite Coating Kit + BLack Label Diamond Paint Coating V2

PBL doesn't actually list a curing time except that one should wait 24hours before applying wax. For the Benz I am considering that the DP coating prep my have been the issue, however it was applied to the entire car so how come I only had problems with the lower panels? That's the part I'm not understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason is because the bottom panel get more water than the top panel. You said there is a light rain when your wife drive the car, bottom part will not only hit by rain but also the water splash from the road as well.

Post Thanks / Like

But the entire panel was coated, why was the lower portion not beading and the water and dirt sticking? That's the question.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I am new to this forum and detailing cars. As a matter of fact I just detailed my 4 month old car for the first time this last week. It was the first time I properly detailed a vehicle. (With all the credit due to AUTOGEEK, Thank You) With that being said, it's obvious that previous to finding out about Autogeek; I did not have any decent detailing products and had to start from square one. After plenty of research on products I made my decision and spent over $300 on all the best equipment. Or so I thought, till I came across Pinnacle Black Label on the site and it has me very intrigued. I want to apply a paint coating before fall.(I had Xzilon applied originally, I'm holding on just in case in PBL Paint Coating won't bond now) Based on AutoGeek recommendation I purchased DP Coating Prep Polish. Now that I've found PBL Cleansing Polish I'm confused which to use or both.
    What is the difference between PBL Cleansing Polish and DP Coating Prep Polish?

Post Thanks / Like

Either one will get the job done prior to applying PBL paint coating.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the bottom panels sheeting the water off, and leaving the higher panels with what's left to bead up?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So are they the same type of product? Or are they both intended to strip the paint of prior wax coating? If so, will it strip any previous paint coating? As I said, prior to learning about AutoGeek I had the dealership apply Xzilon. After becoming a fan of AutoGeek recommended products i.e. Pinnacle/Pinnacle Black Label I would really like to reapply with a new paint coating. Without having experience in detailing car, I'm nervous to do too much and cause paint swirls or micro-scratching, to my brand new paint. (Which currently looks better than perfect thanks to AutoGeek) With that being said; should I be in a rush to apply prep polish/cleansing polish? Or even a paint-coating in my current paints life?
    Similar to the OP, I want to make sure that it bonds properly all around with sacrificing the paint. Is there a particular temperature in which this bonds the best? I know I have a ton a questions about this product, I've just been looking for days through these forums and this is the closest I've been able to find.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pinnacle Black Label Elite Coating Kit + BLack Label Diamond Paint Coating V2-20160207_173231-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Well both should work but it's better to use the PBL coating prep if you're going to use PBL coating.

Coating prep strips the oils from the polish/wax etc on your car supposedly leaving a clean surface for the coating to bond. You don't need to worry about the polishing work you do prior to this, that result will still stay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast