autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car Pro Essence Reviewed! 6 Months of Testing by OCDetail

I don't understand the chemistry behind how Essence (or the primer products used in other coating systems like Modesta) can leave behind a layer of protection that on its own only lasts 6-12 months, yet allows the subsequently applied coating to last several years as it would had the coating been applied to bare paint. Seems totally odd to me! No reason to doubt the claim, but the chemistry of it is probably beyond me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
    I don't understand the chemistry behind how Essence (or the primer products used in other coating systems like Modesta) can leave behind a layer of protection that on its own only lasts 6-12 months, yet allows the subsequently applied coating to last several years as it would had the coating been applied to bare paint. Seems totally odd to me! No reason to doubt the claim, but the chemistry of it is probably beyond me.

I had the same thought, always wondered this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Would love to hear about the actual testing and how he came to that conclusion.

It turns out the reasoning is more principles oriented than testing (or may be he did test but of course it's too early to say something conclusively and as a brand representative he wouldn't want people to use the combo and fail down the road and complain)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. G confirmed what Yvan is saying, btw.

just throwing that out there.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sealthedeal View Post
    It turns out the reasoning is more principles oriented than testing (or may be he did test but of course it's too early to say something conclusively and as a brand representative he wouldn't want people to use the combo and fail down the road and complain)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Given Essence just became available here on AG I suspected he hadn't actually tested it yet. Even if he obtained a sample at SEMA I'm not sure that would be adequate time to say definitively that it won't work.

IMO his comments also seem to based on the idea of traditional glazes and fillers, which clearly Essence is not, though I can agree with his thoughts on traditional glazes and definitely wouldn't try applying it over say Megs #7. I look at it this way...Gloss-Coat and Opti-Coat are compatible with Opt polishes and ONR. I know there is something left on the surface after using the polishes and ONR is said to leave behind protection of it's own. If these coatings are compatible with those ingredients is it to far fetched to think they may be compatible with Essence?

Rather then sit here and speculate, lets wait and see actual results from testers with no vested interest in either company. I know a few have already started testing so now it's just a matter of waiting. Or you can always just try it for yourself. Both products are simple to use so your only out a couple hours time and a few bucks if it fails.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Given Essence just became available here on AG I suspected he hadn't actually tested it yet. Even if he obtained a sample at SEMA I'm not sure that would be adequate time to say definitively that it won't work.

IMO his comments also seem to based on the idea of traditional glazes and fillers, which clearly Essence is not, though I can agree with his thoughts on traditional glazes and definitely wouldn't try applying it over say Megs #7. I look at it this way...Gloss-Coat and Opti-Coat are compatible with Opt polishes and ONR. I know there is something left on the surface after using the polishes and ONR is said to leave behind protection of it's own. If these coatings are compatible with those ingredients is it to far fetched to think they may be compatible with Essence?

Rather then sit here and speculate, lets wait and see actual results from testers with no vested interest in either company. I know a few have already started testing so now it's just a matter of waiting. Or you can always just try it for yourself. Both products are simple to use so your only out a couple hours time and a few bucks if it fails.
    that is why i inquired with Dr. G as opposed to believing anything from the field (yet).

he understands chemistry more than any of us by an exponential factor. could he just be saying it isn't compatible because he's guessing? uhh, maybe. that is definitely possible.

but it's also possible the guy just understands what Essence is made of, what it does and why his coating isn't ideal on top of it.

my turn to guess: we'll see!

thanks.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    that is why i inquired with Dr. G as opposed to believing anything from the field (yet).

he understands chemistry more than any of us by an exponential factor. could he just be saying it isn't compatible because he's guessing? uhh, maybe. that is definitely possible.

but it's also possible the guy just understands what Essence is made of, what it does and why his coating isn't ideal on top of it.

my turn to guess: we'll see!

thanks.
    The same could be said for the chemists who designed Essence, who also "understand chemistry more than any of us by an exponential factor". They have already said they believe it "should" be compatible with other coatings, but they haven't tested it either.
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?

Post Thanks / Like

I think some of the confusion also is the standard the guys are Optimum are holding it to. If they say it's not compatible, that doesn't necessarily mean it will fail right away. The latest version of Gloss Coat is claimed to last up to 3 years. If Gloss Coat only lasts a year over Essence, maybe that would be "compatible" to some of us, but I doubt that would be good enough for Optimum to declare it "comparable" since customers are for sure going to start using the product that way.

So since they have a product reputation to protect, I doubt you will see the company endorsing a prep product they haven't tested.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
    I think some of the confusion also is the standard the guys are Optimum are holding it to. If they say it's not compatible, that doesn't necessarily mean it will fail right away. The latest version of Gloss Coat is claimed to last up to 3 years. If Gloss Coat only lasts a year over Essence, maybe that would be "compatible" to some of us, but I doubt that would be good enough for Optimum to declare it "comparable" since customers are for sure going to start using the product that way.

So since they have a product reputation to protect, I doubt you will see the company endorsing a prep product they haven't tested.
    Gloss-Coat is a consumer product and I definitely wouldn't expect authorized Opti-Coat installers to use Essence prior to coating. For consumers I can see why they would want to use it though as it does add a nice look.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast