autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car Pro Essence Reviewed! 6 Months of Testing by OCDetail

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah. It uses the same abrasives as Reflect,except it primes the surface for a coating application/lays down a base of protection which looks like it will negate the need for IPA/Eraser wipedown.

Saves a big step with the wipedown prior to coating by essentially combining it with the final polishing step...
    OPT Hyper abrasives are compatible with their coatings. that part of Essence doesn't wow me. i think the big deal with Essence as i see it is that it has legitimate abrasives, finishes well AND it provides what is being touted as legitimate protection that exceeds what comes from a normal sealant or wax. that combination is unique imo.

i'm not sure, though, i'd like something with fillers to use as a finish polish prior to actual coating. that's just me, doesn't mean anyone has to agree with that. i think if i were going that route, i'd stick with a filler-free polish. but as a stand alone, Essence sounds like a wonderful time saver.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great review! I am looking forward to trying it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    OPT Hyper abrasives are compatible with their coatings. that part of Essence doesn't wow me. i think the big deal with Essence as i see it is that it has legitimate abrasives, finishes well AND it provides what is being touted as legitimate protection that exceeds what comes from a normal sealant or wax. that combination is unique imo.

i'm not sure, though, i'd like something with fillers to use as a finish polish prior to actual coating. that's just me, doesn't mean anyone has to agree with that. i think if i were going that route, i'd stick with a filler-free polish. but as a stand alone, Essence sounds like a wonderful time saver.
    Can you clarify what you mean by your last paragraph?
    According to this Essence is something you can use as a final polish prior to an actual coating (Classic, UK, or Finest).
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean by your last paragraph?
    According to this Essence is something you can use as a final polish prior to an actual coating (Classic, UK, or Finest).
    yeah you can, according to the manufacturer. but it has fillers. what i'm saying is, if i'm going the effort of coating a car, i will not use something with fillers to hide anything.

personally, why would i use a polish with fillers and also, with protection included, and then coat it? i'd just use a much cheaper, compatible prep polish with no fillers and go ahead and coat. that is what i currently do with the polishes and coatings i use. that will get me the truest correction and the best protection. no need to use an expensive AIO for prep to coat.

like i said, i think the really neat aspect of this product is the fact that it is like an all in one on steroids. i am not aware of an AIO that has the purported features of this product. that's cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    Used this stuff for the first time today. Pretty impressive.
    With its ability to fill and correct, just curious if the swirls are removed or slightly improved/filled in?

Thanks for that 50/50. I've been anxious to see other examples until I get mine on Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah you can, according to the manufacturer. but it has fillers. what i'm saying is, if i'm going the effort of coating a car, i will not use something with fillers to hide anything.

personally, why would i use a polish with fillers and also, with protection included, and then coat it? i'd just use a much cheaper, compatible prep polish with no fillers and go ahead and coat. that is what i currently do with the polishes and coatings i use. that will get me the truest correction and the best protection. no need to use an expensive AIO for prep to coat.

like i said, i think the really neat aspect of this product is the fact that it is like an all in one on steroids. i am not aware of an AIO that has the purported features of this product. that's cool.
    If I were to use this product, I would still make the paint perfect. The reason I would use this is because it adds more to the layer of SiO2. I know you're big into OPT products so I'm sure you're aware of what Primer Polish is. I would use it in the same way I would Primer Polish.

One of the things that is significant to me about the fillers isn't necessarily it's ability to hide something I would otherwise see, but to fill in those things can't see but hinder the gloss. I can finish a car with M205 flawless, but if I use something even finer (Ultimate Polish or SF4500 come to mind) I can make it a half a step better (jeweling the paint?).

The fact of the matter is that all we're doing when we polish paint is instilling super fine scratches not unlike sanding with finer grit after using a coarser grit but with polishes they're so fine that they make the surface appear to us as very shiny. If I can finish something with HD Polish (my favorite polish which finishes close to SF4500 with much less oil) and then use Essence to both further refine the finish and add more to the layer of protection for my coating to lay on/become part of - whichever it is - then I'd be happy.

If Essence can be used to replace HD polish since it has abrasives then I'd also be happy for the time saved. This isn't JUST a galze. It isn't just filling the defects. It's also removing defects. Personally if I used this professionally I don't think I would use it without first using a compound. I would make sure what marring there may be can be removed with a finishing polish like I would do even without Essence. It wouldn't be unlike (to stay with HD) using a compound and finishing with HD Speed. The marring from the compound is still being removed and the paint is still "flawless".
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Even my bottle of gloss coat says "wipe down with IPA mixture prior to coating" if I recall correctly. So they may be compatible but there's still that extra step you need to do to get the best bond possible.

Audi A6 - Corrected and Coated - CarPro Essence - CQuartz UK - Attention to Detailing Peoria

This is pretty much what I had in mind when I saw it first introduced. Just polish and coat.

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post

One of the things that is significant to me about the fillers isn't necessarily it's ability to hide something I would otherwise see, but to fill in those things can't see but hinder the gloss. I

This isn't JUST a glaze. It isn't just filling the defects. It's also removing defects. Personally if I used this professionally I don't think I would use it without first using a compound. I would make sure what marring there may be can be removed with a finishing polish like I would do even without Essence. It wouldn't be unlike (to stay with HD) using a compound and finishing with HD Speed. The marring from the compound is still being removed and the paint is still "flawless".
    Other great points.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Even my bottle of gloss coat says "wipe down with IPA mixture prior to coating" if I recall correctly. So they may be compatible but there's still that extra step you need to do to get the best bond possible.
    i understand - it says that because they can't be sure you are going to use Hyper. i've looked into it with them.

Conman does make some good points. personally i don't agree with the expense for those benefits (additional gloss, "boosting" a coating prior to installation), but i DO agree with the expense for the points i mentioned. there is nothing on the market like that, at least that i'm aware of. this is the first one.

different strokes, amirite?

Post Thanks / Like

I see where you guys are going with this, but honestly I dont see the problem either way. Assuming that the quartz layer in essence is as durable as they claim, and that you're building on top of it with a coating like Cquartz, then the fact that some minor defects were filled is kind of moot IMO. The quartz is essentially glass, and it could be argued to be as permanent as clear coat itself couldnt it?

If a tree falls in a forest with noone around to hear it, does it make a sound?
    If a semi-pemanent primer, then coating can fill a defect for years where noone can see it, Is it still there? Does it make a difference?

I think the key here is, that essence can possibly save a butt-load of time and still be as good as a flawless finish that's coated. That could mean lower costs of application, which could mean that you can get more jobs from those that might not be able to afford a multi-step correction and coating. The fact that this is a primer step for a coating, replacing the need for another wash step and an IPA or Eraser step, or used as a stand alone product is a game changer IMO.

My bottle is arriving soon, I cant wait to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

When it is said this product contains fillers, is it then correct to say that these fillers are then very much similar-identical to fillers in a glaze product?

But then according to the original poster, he found these supposed fillers virtually impossible to remove, or not be seen due to either the fillers then being sealed in by an SIO coating, and/or the paint also being very well corrected?
    Would these assumptions sound correct?

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast