autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating Review

Faithful Zaino user since 2004. For the past several months I have been researching coatings. Pulled the trigger on this when AG had their 25% off sale that was very soon after the release of this new coating. Bought the kit, Uber Compound and WG Finishing Glaze 3.0.

Expected prep work was done...wash, clay, polish (Uber compound with LC 5.5" flat pads then finishing glaze with LC 5.5" white flat pads--Griot's DA), two wipe downs with the supplied prep spray. This is obviously where all the time is and took me roughly 10 hours. Compound step I did in 12x 12 inch sections with between 6-8 section passes for each. I found the Uber Compound to be much easier to work with than M105. Less finicky, very little dust and long working time. I almost didn't use the finishing glaze it looked that good. In the end, I used the glaze.

I followed the supplied directions for the coating. I did however apply heavier than recommended after seeing a post on here. I used half the syringe, or right at 7cc, and only did the paint. No issues at all. Initial "X" on the applicator than a zigzag line for the rest of the panels. I split the hood in half, the rest of the car was one zigzag line on the applicator per panel. Easy to do for someone with no experience with coatings. Had it figured out by the first panel.

Having not used a coating previously, I struggled with the whole "high spot"/ wipedown thing during my research. Personally, I couldn't find very much that actually made it crystal clear to me especially when you have folks that detail for a living talking about getting highspots themselves. Best I could imagine was like ZCS applied too heavy and having to wipe off the unflashed portion. So for those like me who are first time coaters and perhaps struggling with when do you wipe off and what exactly are you wiping off....the coating flashes or dries/ hardens fairly quickly just like a spray on sealant does. There are portions with a coating that overlap over an already dried portion and don't dry (flash) as fast as the rest of the panel you just did. These are what I consider the "high spots" and what you are wiping off. If you don't wipe them off they dry on top of the already flashed portion. After the first panel it is very evident or at least it was to me and I have no high spots. I am sure the "professionals" will rip me apart for that explanation but....

I did not use the supplied towels that came with the kit. I washed them first but when I did the first wipe with the coating there was lint everywhere. I was afraid it would stick so I switched to towels I knew don't lint.

By the time I finished it was raining so no outside in the sun pics but here are a few.....

Still crappy weather here. Below photo from this morning still inside garage.

Sun finally came out. Looked good inside. Outside is beyond anything I expected...

Post rain pics:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating Review

Nice review!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Opinions on using Wolfgang Rinseless to maintain? I bought a gallon but, I've seen posts in places talking about rinseless in general messing with the properties of coatings long term. Used ONR with Zaino routinely with no issues but since I am new to coatings figured I had better try to get a clear answer. Instructions say maintain with WG Auto Bath. Planned on only using that (soap) when it is really dirty otherwise, pre-spray with WG Rinseless (detail spray concentrate) then rinseless wash with essentially the GD method.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajUSMC View Post
    Opinions on using Wolfgang Rinseless to maintain? I bought a gallon but, I've seen posts in places talking about rinseless in general messing with the properties of coatings long term. Used ONR with Zaino routinely with no issues but since I am new to coatings figured I had better try to get a clear answer. Instructions say maintain with WG Auto Bath. Planned on only using that (soap) when it is really dirty otherwise, pre-spray with WG Rinseless (detail spray concentrate) then rinseless wash with essentially the GD method.
    Subscribed! I just applied Wolfgang Coating on my car this weekend and wondering about this as well.

Post Thanks / Like

What's this?! A Vette guy cheating on Zaino?!

Looks great- this product has been getting some good reviews.
    How would you compare it's ease of application to ZCS?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigdt View Post
    What's this?! A Vette guy cheating on Zaino?!

Looks great- this product has been getting some good reviews.
    How would you compare it's ease of application to ZCS?
    I know crazy...it was actually an emotional experience. Pretty much exactly like ZCS after you finally learn less is better than more with ZCS. I probably had 25 coats of Zaino on it and always topped last coat of Z2 with ZCS using Sal's "trick" of doing the whole car with ZCS then Z8. If you can apply ZCS properly, you can apply this with no problem at all. Very intuitive after the first couple of swipes having used ZCS. I never imagined I would say this, but I like the gloss of the coating better. It is different from Zaino...more of a molten glass versus plastic look of Zaino if that makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajUSMC View Post
    Opinions on using Wolfgang Rinseless to maintain?
    Typically products in the same family are compatible.

I intend to punish my WG Uber coating (not really I just won't pamper it with special soap) and see how durable it is. I'll be washing with WG rinseless, Megs Hyper wash, and possibly CG citrus wash and gloss.

I'll be sure to post my long term findings, but I have a hunch it's going to hold up well.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast