autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep

I was one of the individuals who received the new Wolfgang products as part of the recent giveaway. In return, I agreed to provide a review of the products. With that in mind, I will try to keep my review as objective as possible.

Copy from AG

Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep is more like a detail spray than a solution of IPA. First and foremost, it lubricates the surface so your towel glides across the surface. Second, it doesn’t have a potent odor like alcohol does, so you won’t be left feeling dizzy and lightheaded after using it. Third, it’s much easier to use! Simply spray Perfekt Finish Paint Prep directly onto the surface to be coated, and wipe it off using a Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel. Your paint will be left squeaky clean and ready for application of Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating.

I was excited to use this product. Many of the other prep options on the market are glorified IPA. Some do offer additional benefits such as Eraser's short acting anti-static properties. But from AG's copy this sounds like it's a strong formula and is safe and pleasant to work with.

Upon spraying I do get the smell of bubble gum, which is OK, I've never been a big fan of this frangrance, but I'm sure many will like it. But the bubble gum smell is masking something else, certainly whatever cleaners in this are highly refined as it does not stink, but there is a hint of a strong cleaner. 3 sprays was plenty for a fairly large trunk. When wiping, you can see the product flash and it has the same rainbow effect as a high spot in a coating. When plenty of product is used, there is good lubrication, but when there are a few high spots still flashing, it's obvious that any polishing oils are gone and the paint is a little grabby. I did end up putting some towel marring in this Audi's brilliant black finish and that needed a quick repolish to get them out. Fortunately it was on one of the first panels and was caught early so the rework was minimal. After my mishap, I was able to adjust my technique and not cause any more marring; this amounted to using (8) edgeless towels on the car and flipping them at the same sections as I did the polishing. This way the towel absorbed the cleaner fully in a couple passes without having to try to wipe a high spot. I had used m205 for the polishing, which is known to have some durable polishing oils. Perfekt Finish paint prep had no problem removing them, 30% IPA took a couple application to do the same.

Over all I'm please with this product. It stripped durable oils very quickly and easily. Do be careful in choosing your towels and use a lot of them. Even with the extra towels used, I feel this was quicker and cleaner than using IPA.

Ready for action. I had planned on using 530s, but did a quick skim of the Mike's coating thread and saw the cobras used, so went with my eagle edgeless instead.

Sprayed on liberally

Wiped off with a little high spot still flashing. This is where I got some marring and needed to rework it. At this point, I shrunk my work area to about 2x2 and flipped the towel after each section. This works much better for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep

Is that the definition of marring, what's seen in the photo? Did you just respray and use a new side of the towel? You can see that very well, great pic. I'm about to purchase some perfekt paint prep. I'm up in the air between this and IPA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBill View Post
    Is that the definition of marring, what's seen in the photo? Did you just respray and use a new side of the towel? You can see that very well, great pic. I'm about to purchase some perfekt paint prep. I'm up in the air between this and IPA.
    The last photo looks to be of the product flashing, not a picture of marring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StangFan25 View Post
    The last photo looks to be of the product flashing, not a picture of marring.
    Ah, makes more sense thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd always use the manufacturers coating prep product. IPA is working backwards imo.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding review!

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    I'd always use the manufacturers coating prep product. IPA is working backwards imo.
    Well said.