autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gloss Coat on Civic w/clear coat failure

Experiencing small spots of clear coat failure on the roof of my 2008 Honda Civic, a dd that isn’t garaged. I applied Optimum Gloss Coat to try and slow down the cc failure. Gloss Coat was easy to apply as someone who is just looking into car detailing. I used a lens cleaning microfiber wrapped around the CarPro block, using 5 cc’s of GC including the wheels. I also coated our van, using 6 cc’s. First I touched up the rock chips using touch up paint and small artists brushes, Ferrex decontaminated, clayed, did a 90 percent paint correction, then did an IPA wipe. Later, I topped GC with Opt Car Wax for the extra UV protection. The cc failure may or may not be visible as dots on the thumbnail picture of the roof below.

After having the coating on for four months now, I am amazed at how nice it looks and how clean the paint stays. I ONR wash every other week. One gripe is that if the car is dusty and it just rains a little bit, the water beads collect the dust and form visible spots like measles, causing me to wash it. But, if the rain is heavy, it’s almost like getting a free car wash. The bugs and bird bombs are easy to remove. For the bugs, I just spray on the ONR clay lube, let it sit for 5 minutes and wipe off with a mf. I noticed that some of the Opt Car Wax seemed to come off when washing if I heavily applied the OCW. I also tried Meg’s Ult Quick Wax, which looked spectacular on the GC.

I appreciate all of the tips that I’ve learned on the AG forum, and the customer service from AG.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gloss Coat on Civic w/clear coat failure-10-jpg   Gloss Coat on Civic w/clear coat failure-20-jpg   Gloss Coat on Civic w/clear coat failure-30-jpg   Gloss Coat on Civic w/clear coat failure-40-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gloss Coat on Civic w/clear coat failure

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Deutsch View Post
    Experiencing small spots of clear coat failure on the roof of my 2008 Honda Civic, a dd that isn’t garaged. I applied Optimum Gloss Coat to try and slow down the cc failure. Gloss Coat was easy to apply as someone who is just looking into car detailing. I used a lens cleaning microfiber wrapped around the CarPro block, using 5 cc’s of GC including the wheels. I also coated our van, using 6 cc’s. First I touched up the rock chips using touch up paint and small artists brushes, Ferrex decontaminated, clayed, did a 90 percent paint correction, then did an IPA wipe. Later, I topped GC with Opt Car Wax for the extra UV protection. The cc failure may or may not be visible as dots on the thumbnail picture of the roof below.

After having the coating on for four months now, I am amazed at how nice it looks and how clean the paint stays. I ONR wash every other week. One gripe is that if the car is dusty and it just rains a little bit, the water beads collect the dust and form visible spots like measles, causing me to wash it. But, if the rain is heavy, it’s almost like getting a free car wash. The bugs and bird bombs are easy to remove. For the bugs, I just spray on the ONR clay lube, let it sit for 5 minutes and wipe off with a mf. I noticed that some of the Opt Car Wax seemed to come off when washing if I heavily applied the OCW. I also tried Meg’s Ult Quick Wax, which looked spectacular on the GC.

I appreciate all of the tips that I’ve learned on the AG forum, and the customer service from AG.
    this is the number one piece of info i love to share as a testimonial about Optimum coatings - the cars stay cleaner longer and yes, after a hard rain, so much stuff gets released that they car almost looks like it has been washed haha. sometimes in the rain, i'll go out and spray down the car with some pressure and let the rain rinse it all off...rain, the natural spot free rinse!

i think the OCW/QW is overkill but whatever floats your boat! glad you are enjoying the coating though, it's awesome stuff.

have you checked with Honda about the paint warranty extension for this issue? there is a thread going on here right now about the issue. i went through it.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I topped GC with OCW for the UV protection that OCW offers. I'm thinking that it might slow down the cc failure because my Civic is parked outside. The OCW doesn't want to stick on the GC however.

After reading about the Honda paint, I understand that my color is not covered out to 8 years. I've been looking around for clear coat failures on other cars and am amazed at how many cars have cc failure on the horizontal surfaces. I don't think any make is immune. I've seen it on Chevys, Fords, Nissans, Toyotas, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Man thanks for sharing. That's exactly what we were going for with GC. Easy to apply and maintain with great results. Please try No Rinse Wash & Wax and use Opti-Seal as you dry sometime and let me know what you think. Gloss Coat on Civic w/clear coat failure

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Chris! I'm really liking the GC.