autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Optimum Opti-Gloss Coat - 3M 1080p Gloss Vinyl on 2008 Lexus ISF

I recently had my car wrapped in 3M Gloss Blackrose and I wanted to see how well a paint coating would bond to vinyl. Since I got a few boxes of Opti-Gloss Coat sitting around, why not test it out?

First I emailed 3M directly to ask if their 1080p Gloss Vinyl lineup is similar to automotive clearcoat and I was redirected to a company from UK which gave me the final response: Yes!

Subject: 2008 Lexus ISF wrapped in 3M 1080p Gloss Blackrose

Underneath the vinyl is a beautiful ultrasonic blue paint that was originally introduced to be an exclusive blue for the Lexus ISF but later became available for for the IS250/IS350 line up. Unfortunately for me the paint had a number of paint defects (stone chips, roof scratch exposing metal, and most recently the fenders were rolled to accommodate my aftermarket rims where paint had started cracking). Thus, I decided to try something new and went with a vinyl wrap (still that gloss in my life)

Product for testing - Optimum Opti-Gloss Coat

My box came with a gold microfiber towel and an orange circle applicator (similar to Opti-coat 2.0 packaging).

Application

After reading other members reviews and having used Opti-coat 2.0 several times myself, I knew applying opti-gloss coat would not pose any issues for me. It honestly doesn't get any easier in my opinion. But this time instead of clearcoat, I will be trying a vinyl.
    And you know what? It really was simple. I applied it in 77 Fahrenheit/ 25 Celsius, one panel at a time and followed up with a wipe down.

Process:
    Prep
    1. Perform rinseless wash with Ultima Waterless Wash Plus (bucket ratio for bucket and QD ratio for spray bottle). I usually go for ONR but wanted to try my UWW+ since I haven't opened it in 2 years
    2. Wipe down with IPA mixed at 20% ratio. I found my vinyl had some glue residue and IPA was able to remove those easily.
    3. Wipe down with CarPro Eraser to knock off any dust or oil missed (my overkill step)
    Application
    4. I used CarPro applicator with CarPro Suede cloth to apply Opti-Gloss Coat, one panel at a time. For Hood, bumper, roof and doors I had splitted in half.
    5. About 3 drops were used in between each panel (or half panels) and applied in cross hatch sectional technqiue (left to right and up to down)
    Post Application
    6. Each panel were inspected with LED light and high spots were knocked down with the gold microfiber towel
    7. Although I don't think it was necessary, I left the car in the garage to cure for an hour before baking it in the sun light.

I had used about 4oz of product

After Photos

Interim Thoughts:
    So I want to talk about two things:

Opti-Gloss Coat Feedback
    1. Opti-Gloss Coat was stupidly easy to apply for me. I found the high spots to flash off almost immediately. The applicator did not stick or build any resistance as the suede cloth was soaked in product. Now only time will tell me if it can actually bond to vinyl and last for its advertised duration of 2 years. Tomorrow it will rain and I will inspect for beading effects. What I have noticed so far, it is very slick to touch the vinyl. Maybe it is the feel of the vinyl not opti-gloss coat? I'll touch the carbon fiber spoiler on top to compare.

Vinyl Feedback
    2. As you can see above from the photo above showing the roof, the gloss reflection on vinyl is nowhere close to the clearcoat on paint. The 3M gloss vinyl has a natural 'orange peel' effect that we would love to eliminate with wetstanding. Overall I'm happy with trying a vinyl wrap for the first time (cost wise was much less than a paint job). Blackrose is a great colour where red would pop in the sun but it have a darken, almost black look to it at night.

I will update this thread as more time passes by.

Thanks for reading!
    Zel

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Optimum Opti-Gloss Coat - 3M 1080p Gloss Vinyl on 2008 Lexus ISF

Nice

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful job!

Post Thanks / Like

Junction Produce! Nice setup the car looks great.
    Subbed for long term observations.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sayroger View Post
    Nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicoupe View Post
    Beautiful job!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSou View Post
    Junction Produce! Nice setup the car looks great.
    Subbed for long term observations.
    Thanks guys!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful job! It will be very interesting as Gloss Coat acts on vinyl.

Only used 4 cc for painting or includes wheels?. Because says that it was not necessary have kept in the garage for 1 hour. Gloss coat can be applied outdoors ?, does not affect the light dust in the air/enviroment?

I've always wondered what follows, it is said that Gloss Coat should not wash in the next seven days after application, but I have a garage without ceiling, and I worry that it will rain the next day or 1 hour after application, would affect anything?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EDG89 View Post
    Beautiful job! It will be very interesting as Gloss Coat acts on vinyl.

Only used 4 cc for painting or includes wheels?. Because says that it was not necessary have kept in the garage for 1 hour. Gloss coat can be applied outdoors ?, does not affect the light dust in the air/enviroment?

I've always wondered what follows, it is said that Gloss Coat should not wash in the next seven days after application, but I have a garage without ceiling, and I worry that it will rain the next day or 1 hour after application, would affect anything?
    The wheels were previously coated in Opticoat 2.0 (I believe last summer) so 4oz was used on the vinyl, headlights and taillights.

When I used opti-coat 2.0, I had one application where it rained right after I applied it. The paint was still hydrophobic when I checked two months later.

On the syringe of Opti-Gloss Coat, it did not say how long to let the product cure for but I had left it in a garage for an hour anyway. However, if my memory serves me right, Opti-coat 2.0 had about one week of cure time too? It was the time frame not to wash the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Day 2 in the rain.

Beading very nicely!

Post Thanks / Like

Great job on the ISF mate .
    05 M/T SER Altima . NismoOBXDynomax exh .RL FSTB&BTD, H&R Springs & Triple C Bolt, RLRShifterBushing, EBC Ft/Rr Pads/Rotors, Synto/Wix Filter, RP MaxATF PS, Motul BF/C, Pennzoil Gear Oil ,Wix cab filter, Interstate, Michelin Pilot A/S+

Post Thanks / Like

Good write up. I vinyl wrap cars as well as detail so it's nice to see this post. I've had OCP on my wrapped car for almost a year, and previously had CQF on the color before. The beading isn't very good on the matte vinyl over time ime, however the ocp is still beading very good on the gloss vinyl. I think you're good to go. I'll post some photos when i have the time.

-Beach
    People > Possessions
    Instagram: @DiamondDetail_ABQ
    www.diamonddetailabq.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast